Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Drawing

Options
  • 12-06-2003 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

What did everyone think of technical drawing today?

I think I did quite well :)

Question 1 (Planes) was easy enough (If you knew how to do 2 unjoined planes), but I couldnt get out the (c) bit, where you had to draw a line 70mm from D :confused:

Question 3 (Touching Solids) on the whole was simple, the only thing I hadnt seen before was the contact point of a sphere with a plane, but I think I got it out.

Question 4 (Interpenetration) was standard enough, but took me ages all the same. I was staring at it for 10min trying to join up all my points, but got it perfect in the end :D

Question 5 (Loci) I was told by everyone was a bitch, but I was finished it in 20min. The only nasty thing about it was making the circle ramp up on the arc CD, which I solved by drawing the circle tangental to the arc and the sloped line BC.

Overall delighted with the paper. I hadn't done Tech Graphics for the Junior cert, and all last year I was worried I was going to fail.

Lets hope paper 2 isint a bitch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

well i managed to get thro it with at the very least an A2.

i got off to a horrible start when i messed up question 1 and i had no choice but to abandon it completely... so after wasting half an hour i decided to do conics.. was soo easy took me 15-20 mins so after that i was back on track

touching solids was good except the last part was horrible.. i made a fair attempt at the last sphere and it seemed to work but i aint sure if its perfect.

interpenetration was soo easy .. took me 35 min to do it...

and to finish up i did rotation of solids / oblique planes. got it perfect.

went pretty well after i recovered from q.1.

but just for the excitement we had a powercut about 30 min into the exam lucky we were in a big hall and could let in some sunlight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i had to abandon question 1 cos my table wouldnt allow me 2 do it accurately (see post "facilities") but question 2 was the nicest area question ive seen in a long time, took bout 10 minutes, thats the gr8 thing bout area questions, take no time if u know ur stuff. I did teh ellipse and hyperbola question, again very nice and short, teh solids in contact was fairly str8forward and i finished off with that lovely easy question7.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Well I aced paper two today pity though cause I really mad an absolute dogs b0lliex of paper one ..... was aiming for an A, i'll have to settle for a C now id say.

Thanks god i did home Ec :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darth_Jman

Yeah, paper 2 today was nice on the whole, although roofs was nasty enough. Oh well, dead and buried.
    Time to study the chemistry course now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 leavingcert2003

Just wonderin wud it be possible for someone who hasn't done tech. drawing since first year to take it up if they were repeating and cover it in 1 year?Thanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

i dont think so man, technical drawing isnt necessarily "hard", but it does take time to get your head around stuff.. for things to sink in.

So basically it wud be impossible and I wud be wastin my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by leavingcert2003
    So basically it wud be impossible and I wud be wastin my time?

If you have a good spatial sense of geometry and a good grasp of geometrical concepts then you could probably do TD in one year. It's been a while since I did it though and I wouldn't really recommend trying to fit an entire TD course into one year, when I did it there was a lot to it.

Though, like maths, if you understood the basics you could 'derive' most of the complicated stuff, even if you hadn't seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darth_Jman

I hadn't done Tech Drw. for the junior cert, and took it up in 5th year (dropped it in 2nd year for buissness. Worst mistake ever).

We didnt do much in 5th year, and when it came to 6th year, we busted a nut covering the course, and did (with a *tiny* amount of time to spare).
    You should be able to cover the whole thing in one year, provided you do the homework (fgs, do the f*cking homework!), and listen.
    You'd only be able to take it up for 6th year provided that your teacher will go back over the stuff done in 5th year though. And he should, if all tech drw teachers are as lazy as ours was...

I'd wait until after the results though, and see if any of the optional subjects were worth dropping.

Just my 2c

Wud hons maths be a help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

Wud hons maths be a help?

Nope, ur usung a different part of your brain.
    If you have a good spatial sense of geometry and a good grasp of geometrical concepts

Advertisement