Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont more ISP's go wireless?

Options
  • 12-06-2003 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why the likes of UTVi don't team up with somebody like IrishBroadband and offer wireless internet. It seems that anything is better than dealing with Eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cos they'd have to build infrastructure across the country and buy backhaul from probably eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by ednwireland
    cos they'd have to build infrastructure across the country and buy backhaul from probably eircom

Not quite Edwin. It happens that Chorus, NTL and Eircom are squatting on the most useful slabs of Bandwith in which to offer the service and that Comreg feels it cannot compel them to do so.

I refer to the 2.5 and the 3.5Ghz ranges

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

it'd be a big plus for irelands broadband prospects if these bands could be given to someone who'd actually make use of them. I'm sure IBB would make good use of the 2.5 gig spectrum, they could use higher power and there would be less worry about interference to them, or from them.

I thought NTL/Chorus were in danger of losing their bands?

Greg

happy day.

It is up for grabs again later this year.

2.5Ghz is reserved for MMDS , I am intruiged by the gfact that the IBB Navini gizmo can work in the MMDS band......and that the geezer in charge of IBB market development used to do the same for Chorus once.

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

forgive my lack of knowledge on all things wireless but why is there so few bands available for wireless? Would it not be possible to have thousands of different bands at all sorts of frequencies? Or are all these other frequencies used up already from Radio, TV, CB, etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by LFCFan
    forgive my lack of knowledge on all things wireless but why is there so few bands available for wireless? Would it not be possible to have thousands of different bands at all sorts of frequencies? Or are all these other frequencies used up already from Radio, TV, CB, etc etc?
    Apparently there's loads of spare bands, but affordable equipment is not always available. Where affordable equipment is available, it is often sat on by companies trying to protect their revenues from competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Apparently there's loads of spare bands, but affordable equipment is not always available. Where affordable equipment is available, it is often sat on by companies trying to protect their revenues from competitors.
    And as is mentioned in another thread here, when you start approaching 6Ghz you will start to require line of sight ... thats why there is very little investment/interest/equipment in the 6+Ghz bands

and the sub 2Ghz bands are Extremely valuable and highly restricted.

The interesting ones are between 2 and 6 Ghz.

The UK government auctioned off the ENTIRE 3.5Ghz (3.4Ghz ) band for th eentire country for UKP7 Million or so only This Week , it mainly went to a subsidiary of PCCW called poundradio.

To put it in perspective, all of Wales and clabs of Western and Southern England seem to have gone in 3 licences for £1.2 Million while All of Scotland went for £0.42 Million and NI went for £0.6 Million.

Compare that to the cost of a similar sized slab of 900Mhz or 1800Mhz bandwidth with which to run a GSM service Nationally. There is no way you'd get all of Scotland for £0.42 Million.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hey Muck, how much you reckon the Chorus licences will go for?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Yrthilian

might i suggest youhave a look at the irishwan site at
    www.irishwan.org.

i know it is not a compny think like eircom and thoes but well it is better than nothing.

and well i hope to be on it soon myself.
    and it is farly cheap in the long run.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Hey Muck, how much you reckon the Chorus licences will go for?

adam

Well is all of Scotland (pop 5m , bigger than Ireland too) went for £420k (€600k) and if Eircom have licences in that band , halving its capacity in the process , then I am minded to think €200 k coz the country is smaller etc etc.

IBB are sure to punt for these licences when they come up. Because they are use em or lose em licences, IBB will only want to Cherry Pick the Big Towns (no smaller than Waterford I should think). IBB thought that an exclusive licence for Norn Iron was worth all of £155k and no more. Double that for population and halve it again for the non-exclusivity to get ....the same figure for all of the South. That means €200-€250 for the Chorus bandwidth if you get it all.

As they only want to cover half the population (the easiest half) , it may be assumed that they will pay a premium for that, lets say €150k-200k and bollox the rest of the country and all that dwells therein. Etain handed the licences out by county last time but will be more granular the next time it seems.

/me reckons that Devores Beer Money for a year, €50-100k , would get you all the rest of the country. All of County Cork (outside the Borough) €4-8k to you Adam.

Then its all between you and the Rat :D for world domination in Cork.

M

Advertisement