Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats Comp Networking Year 2 like?

• 12-06-2003 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I hate to put my whole message in the subject line so I'll say something else......EH........^*_*^.

What subjects do you do? Subject contents? What lectures do you have?

Thnks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

it's quite HARD really.

You do:
    Networking and internetworking - Paul Barry(You have to buy his book)
    He is a ****. a complete and utter bastard. The subject is piss easy though..until you start perl.

Communication and transmission Media(or the ilk) - Keith Smyth
    It's comms all over again. He's Quite strict about time and attendance but above all he is FAIR.

ProgRAMMING - Ross Palmer - What can i say?it's grand(Java again BTW)

Operating Systems - Gabriel Sommers - BORING.it's one of those learn lots of **** subjects

Maths - Joe And Diarmuid - Same as Before

And you do a project. Dunno What that will be like.

Year 2 is a BASTARD. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Since I have never found out 100% ...
    whats in year 1 ? lol
    Me starting in sept [for those of ya who dont know] ... comp net deg. ... i know maths[feic'd] ... hardware? java [urgh], and ... ?

info be quite nice suppose heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

year one is...umm wait

Programming - Ross Palmer - He's a good lecturer. Java BTW

Hardware - David Kelly - 0LD SK00L.pretty much hardware and assembly

Networking - Philip Hickey - *boring* seriously. it sucks ass.

Maths - Diarmuid O Sea - Kinda like higher leaving cert maths

Maths - Joe Bennett - Confusing.But once you get your hear around it it's not that bad.

Communications Science - Yvonne Kavanagh - Physics.that's pretty much what it is.

Cant remeber after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Year One is very easy!!!!!IMHO

Java - Hard at start, but keep hard at it and no problem them. For all his tests and stuff u should go to library at start of the year and get the exam papers. Ross always asks same questions.

Comms Science - The bitch of all bitchs. You have to do a lab each week and then write a report in a science copy and hand it the following week, you can get 10 marks for each report, and thats all worth 30% at the end of the year. She gives about 6 tests during the year too, Their worth 2% each or something. The teacher is a really complete idiot too. She not a clue whats she's talking about and makes alot of mistakes. She cannot do a maths question without making a mistake. She puts her notes on screen too. So you got to take them down, and her writing is just dope and she always has this really annoying voice, like she talking through her teeth. I always feel like doing that scene from A Clockwork Orange, knocking her teeth out with a chisel. ha. joking.

Netoworking - So easy, its impossible to fail networking, impossible. His tests are so stupid. Multiple choice answers. Handy. I'd think he's such a loser he'd ask exactly the same tests next year. You have typed reports each week 2, Worth 30%. You do these in groups though.

Maths - Discrete and Analysis maths. For the first 6 weeks in analysis maths, you do algebra. He does simple stuff in class but then he gives a tricky test and if you don't know your stuff you'll fail it. Most people failed the algebra this year. Then you do relations and functions for what seems like forever and then trig and calculus. In discrete maths you do logic for a while. Lots of the class gave up on this when they looked at it first, big mistake. its not that hard. The teacher is a real puff though but he has one cool beemer. Really cool one. You do probabilty, matrices and induction. Both of these courses are worth 50% each, in theory you could get 100% in Analysis and 0% in discrete and still pass.

Hardware - This is one of those subjects where you learn of ****e forever. The first while is those hateful binary numbers. Pointless I think. You do alot of theory very quickly then. Be prepared to be learning off stuff. You cant bluff the tests either. Either you know it or you don't. You'll do some Assembly language for some unknown reason then. The lecturer even says he doesn't know why they teach it. Stupid language.

WE HAVE GABREILLE SUMMERS FOR OPERATING SYSTEMS. That lad is such an ET bastard. We had him for 3 months networking labs, you could ask him anything and he doesn't have a clue, even hickey would know a bit more I think. cough cough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hahah

who are you? were you in networkin 1st year?

cillian here, long haired dick who never came in

you may or may not have seen me :)

• Advertisement

thanks a lot for info
    maths im feic'd in lol ... java i have grounding for - and rest aint _too_ bad dont think - 2 yrs college paid off in some ways suppose heh. [that and erm 5+ yrs nerding lol]

If anyone is round college & wanting to kill time - any chance can find out wee bit info for me :D

1) Registering/Starting date for 1st years
    2) Would it present major probs if I started on 22nd Sept ?

Gonna be in easten europe till 21st sept lol; so travel down to carlow sunday evening, or early monday morning - prob end up missing week or 2 ... classes not _too_ worried about, as missing initial "this is a mouse, this is a keyboard" will be a relief ... Or is there system where if cannot make it for registration; you contact college previous to it, and make alt. arrangements...

If some1 replies saying
    "If ya don't make registration; you cannot get in"
    they shall be dealt with accordingly when I get down there [Death by Smiting, with Orcish Dagger +4 to Pain]

The first week is not all about this is a mouse, this is a keyboard, There's nothing like that, the first week is Ross Palmer giving you chapter one java and you not having a clue whats going on.

I think I started on the 16th or something this year. You dont start on the first of September anyways and I was registered 3,4 days after that. You'd want to ring the director of the course after you get your CAO back, and tell him you will be delayed until that date. I know someone who got 3 ID cards this year but they were all messed up so he had to go back to get one a few weeks later or something.

CILLIAN - I know who you are, you came in once or twice, then you disappeared but you showed up for labs every week all the same. Fair dues!!! , I'm Richie, the brainy c u n t. So they all say, its all LIES.

k, tnx...
    did a year of java this yr lol - so hopefully wont be missing too much, cant be much worse than COBOL at least :P

No chance of someone giving me their G Drive contents for second year? No? If someone could Zip up their JAVA folder or something, cuz I need something to do over the summer and I've had enough of UKMonetaryCoin malarchy, if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Mordeth
    hahah

who are you? were you in networkin 1st year?

cillian here, long haired dick who never came in

you may or may not have seen me :)

You coming back cillian?
    Ah, sure one more go ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

hey Richie, I'm shay. I'll be in your class next year!
    See ya then!
    BTW I'm repeating so I have a head start!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

2nd year is like 1st year +1

very in-sightful i must say tom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

2nd year of no course is difficult.. If you just attend class and do the slighest bit of work, you will piss true it. 3rd year of any computing course is where the real work begins, and 4th year is a pain in the hole... Just get on with it and stop worrying like a girl.

from what i hear carlow 1st yr hard enuf tho - and considering carlow 1 highest levels of ppl failing [partially due to student life ofc] - seems as if doin stuffs etc is kinda essential - to pass at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i'm still in 3rd year. on work experience. repeats to do in august, lots of them, still hopefully. if not, 3rd year here i come, again!!!

1st year is grand. i also hate Yvonne, talkin through her teeth.

2nd year isn't that bad, if you turn up!!!

3rd year, i don't know, wasn't there much. but Java steps up a gear, big time

java steps up ? arg
    java shouldnt do anything except die, die lots till it gets killed from it.

don't get me wrong ; the ideal behind java is lovely, and perfect, the actual implementation of java is horrible [i.e. java as a language itself compared to c++]

wait till you do multi-threading. and your going to have fun with RMI and Interfaces in 3rd year.

and in 3rd yr, you have to do management, business stuff, like profit and loss accounts. complete bull****, pointless

well my theroy is i survived COBOL and did stupidly massive project in it - so if i can survive COBOL can survive anything....except maybe maths lol
    unless it's englishy maths
    MULTIPLY 5 BY 6 GIVING BLEURGH
    arghhh cobolocks
    /me cries

• Advertisement

The business stuff is not pointless. Granted, it is pointless if you want to work as a programmer or support technician for the rest of your life and just do what management tell you to do... I am guessing everyone will want to move up a level, and to do this, you need the business stuff.... Without some financial knowledge etc, how are you ever gonna manage a project with a budget?

go to the dark side?

No, that's abuse of the force!

management evil and stuff *glares*

Ok....... Tell you what, you be a monkey for me and jump through hoops will you!!!!!

*jumps through hoop*

Last job title was "monkey boy"
    ...can administor network without being some1's beatch.

Ah I see some good-point - just don't like admitting it; and don't like idea of being in any sort of management position.

i didn't even get a job description. changes every week

so yer a jack of all trades

....thats kewl tho - can make yer own up - and write 1/2 page on cv of what ye did lol - or give yerself 5-10 job titles :D

i'd try my hand at most things. and like most men, if i can't do it, i'll try it, **** it up and blame some1 else

Advertisement