Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tell me this....

Options
  • 13-06-2003 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

How come vice city hasn't come out for cube or x-box? It came out for ps2 first. then it went to PC. So sony obviously don't own exclusive rights to it or anything yeah. But if other ****ter games get brought out on all formats why don't the cube or x-box try to get it because its garanteed to sell well?

I'm sure there's a logical explaination and all..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sony own exclusive rights for it, though this doesn't extend to a PC version. It also doesn't extend to Japan, but because the game isn't big over there Take2 aren't bothering.

It's only exclusive for a certain amount of time though, and I think Rockstar pledged to convert it as soon as the deal ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Can't see it coming out on the Cube, unfortunately. Although I'm just after finding this on IGN's X-Box site
    SCEA's contract with Rockstar originally stated that all Grand Theft Auto titles would be exclusive to PlayStation 2 (with the exception of the PC) from 2001 to year's end 2004. Apparently, SCEA and Rockstar have re-negotiated the contract to permit the game to appear on other consoles. Rockstar is currently working on the next Grand Theft Auto title, due for year's end in 2004, which will, as we understand it, complete the original exclusivity contract with SCEA. (Unless that too has been renegotiated.)

Another link with more developments.

Both machines would be able to handle the game just fine. The issue is whether a (by then) 2-year-old PS2 port would be worth getting - there bett4r b3 l33t 0pT1miz4T10n!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I thought Splinter cell only recently came out on the cube? I suppose the same could happen with vice city.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

do rockstar really need to expand onto the less popular console, i guarentee the next gta is going to be top of the charts for months, they've got all the money they want, all my friends have ps2 and or pc theyre the best, but i do want a gamecube

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA would sell even if it came out on the Atari Jaguar. Theres quite a lot of money to be made out of GTA on the xbox and GC. Remember you can never have too much money. You won't be on top forever look. Look what happened to sega.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The PC version of Vice City has crap performance because the way its coded is very PS2 platform specific. They'd have to rebuild it from scratch to release it on the box.

I'd say they'll make a new multiformat GTA4 in the next year or two.

At the end of the day its only one game. There are lots of other good games on the PS2, Cube and Xbox and you should just enjoy what you have or buy all three.

Advertisement