Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk truth about Jobsites/Agencies

• 13-06-2003 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

It is a belief that every job advertised by an agency on the likes of irishjobs.ie etc., does not exist. They merely want to build up their quota of CV's. So could it be said that surfing the internet for job vacancies is a total waste of time?

The Dublin Daily is a new Dublin newspaper. Their classifieds section advertises jobs. When you go to their website and go to classifieds it says they use recruitireland.com. Does this mean that the jobs in the Dublin Daily newspaper are all also rubbish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

I wouldn't say ALL jobs on these site are fake. There are some genuine ones all right but as far as I can tell a number of things can happen
    to make the "jobs available" figures bloated.

1) Companies approach multiple agencies, each of whom puts their own spin on the job spec.

2) An agency puts up a legit job, the job is filled but the agency has paid for x amount of weeks for this ad so it stays. (Not sure exactly how these sites sell slots to agencies but I know this happens.)

3) An agency trawls through its CV's , realises that its low on Java programmers or whatever & shoots off a spoof job.

4) An agency has paid for x amount of space (I know this happens on newspapers, not sure on web sites) for a quarter
    for a good deal, if theres no jobs at all they spoof them .

And lastly, don't forget companies can jerk agencies around too,
    agencies only get paid when someones placed, so coming up to review time some companies post a fake job, have a look at the CV's & required salary & are well armed for their employee's review.

One thing amazes me though, agencies must be placing people / have a good few contractors to keep in business, so there must be SOME jobs out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its a well knkown fact that some agencies have put out adverts for jobs that dont exist.

there are two reasons they do it.

one is that they want more CV's,a nd its an easy way to do it.
    get people to send you their CV.

the second one is that agencies often get paid on the number of interviews a company takes from them. if they fling in a bunch of CV's they are going to take some of them.

Advertisement