Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oem??????

Options
  • 13-06-2003 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

what does this mean?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

OEM (original equipment manufacturer) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

if you ever need to know what something is but can't find it use this link the word press enter
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/
    :ninja: :D :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you buy something OEM you usually pay a lot less, as you don't get a lot of fancy packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by blacknight
    If you buy something OEM you usually pay a lot less, as you don't get a lot of fancy packaging.

Hmm I wouldn’t really refer to it as fancy packaging

original equipment manufacturer licenses must legally come with a pice of hardware no support will actually be supplied by the software vendor of the software however most software companys have agreements with the manufacturer that they OEM i.e dell, compaq etc.. will supply support for a period of time.

Any one working in I.T will know that support is a key feature no matter if its support for a product service or solution. That’s the added extra you get with a fully packaged product as in most cases if you get a operating system from a hardware vendor you will pay a lot of money on telephone calls up to 1 euro a minute for support.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sourfoot

I think i answered this in a thread a while ago about the differences between OEM licences and Full Packaged Products (FPP). The is a real difference interms of whet technical support you will get from Microsoft. Have a look for it if you cant find it let me know and ill drop some stuff here

• Advertisement

Great Answer Tom the Box

Originally posted by tom-thebox
    Hmm I wouldn’t really refer to it as fancy packaging

original equipment manufacturer licenses must legally come with a pice of hardware no support will actually be supplied by the software vendor of the software however most software companys have agreements with the manufacturer that they OEM i.e dell, compaq etc.. will supply support for a period of time.

Any one working in I.T will know that support is a key feature no matter if its support for a product service or solution. That’s the added extra you get with a fully packaged product as in most cases if you get a operating system from a hardware vendor you will pay a lot of money on telephone calls up to 1 euro a minute for support.

Regards

I know where you're coming from and agree entirely. However for some hardware items the OEM version can mean a significant saving. Whether the retailer should legally sell the OEM version or not is a different matter

Originally posted by Sourfoot
    Great Answer Tom the Box

Thanks Andy :)

Whether the retailer should legally sell the OEM version or not is a different matter

You might want to look into that, I am not too sure if you are talking about your company or person at the moment, but software piracy is a crime and is down to yourself or company to make sure it does not happen.

Companys pay consultants a lot of money to get them to audit their networks for legality its down to you to make sure you are up to spec.

As I am sure you are. They are a right shower in this country when it comes to fines for this sort of thing too so I have been told.

It really only came enforced in this country since the piracy act of 2000, so its easy pickings at the moment the last poll i saw that software piracy is running at somewhere between 90% to 50% in Ireland.

Tom

The only OEM product I've bought in the last while was hardware not software, so the software piracy issue does not arise.

M

• Advertisement

Tom

The only OEM product I've bought in the last while was hardware not software, so the software piracy issue does not arise.

M

Good to hear. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

If you buy something thats OEM from Komplett.ie then you don't have to worry about piracy. They're based in Norway and the law in Norway states that retailers can sell OEM products.
    Now I havn't seen a full legal document stating this but since Komplett have been around a while and are pretty successful I take it for granted that it's true. They havn't been shut down yet. :)

With regards to software Ireland is still one of the worst countries in Europe for piracy on per capita basis.

In many cases this is due to ignorance, as a lot of business and home users just presume that they can simply install software on multiple machines.

As Tom will surely attest, MS has changed their licensiing terms to simplify matters for small business etc., but the entire area is still a potential mindfield.

.If you buy something thats OEM from Komplett.ie then you don't have to worry about piracy. They're based in Norway and the law in Norway states that retailers can sell OEM products.
    Now I havn't seen a full legal document stating this but since Komplett have been around a while and are pretty successful I take it for granted that it's true. They havn't been shut down yet

I agree with most of this but it is no so clear cut as you may think, if you buy through a foreign vendor and plan to use the product in say ireland , that product is condidered a "grey import" in licencing terms in ireland. What this means is that Microsoft is not obliged to give you any technical support what so ever (reagrdless of whether it is a FPP) for the product while you are using it away from the country of it selling origin. Futher more if you bought the OEM licence say online from Norway without any Hardware, when you speak to an individual here they will sne dyou to an antipiracy line. I know that Komplett have not been shut down yet but E Bay are selling tons of OEM licences from individuals without any hardware and this is definatly wrong but so far Ebay have not been closed down either.

Originally posted by Sourfoot
    Futher more if you bought the OEM licence say online from Norway without any Hardware, when you speak to an individual here they will sne dyou to an antipiracy line.
    I know that Komplett have not been shut down yet but E Bay are selling tons of OEM licences from individuals without any hardware and this is definatly wrong but so far Ebay have not been closed down either.
    I have heard that about the hardware aspect before. Is it that you have to buy hardware that is relevant to the product or could you buy say Norton Anti Virus and then a graphics card and everythings fine?
    A good point about E Bay. I wonder how long it'll take before something will get done about it, IF something gets done about it!

As far as i know OEM licences over here are to be sold with a computer or a piece of hardware but that is from a Microsoft point of view as reagrds their product and it licence criteria, its an interesting point as to whether or not other software manufacturers have a similar policy or not, but i know as you say you can go and buy a sound card and then get an OEM of Office XP and find that you have technicial support with PC World, Toys'r 'us or whomever you bought the hardware from tis is a big kind of loop hole in teh Oem licence area as PC World will not help you sort out Office Xp if it goes belly up . Personally i would buy a full packaged product before an OEM just to avoid the sheer pain of technicial issues later.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

ok I get what ur saying about support and such, I bought a dell laptop in january which came with xp home. I've had issues recently trying to obtain a specific fix for xp and 2000 which is not available to download from microsoft, you have to contact them directly. I tried ringing Microsoft who put me through to someone who just kept offering me SP1, even though I already had this and that the fix was not included in SP1. I gave the direct URL of the knowledge base article describing the fix but they had never even heard of the knowledge base. I thenm tried to go about getting support online but after a quick scan of the laptop I was told to contact the OEM supplier(Dell) for support. After several emails from to Dell, they eventaually stated "With regard to this issue, we ship only with OEM version of Windows
    that does not include support for patchs or fix to download from
    microsoft". So if Microsoft refuse to support yu and the OEM refuse to support you where do you go??? :confused:

Yah i see your point but since i work in this area i know for a fact that if you ring Microsoft om 0780 6010100 and tell them that you are having such and such an issue if you tell them that you went to the knowledge base and found the relevant article to you and quote the Q number to them (article Qxxxxxx) Microsoft will check this and if it says in the Article to contact Microsoft for the Fix you Will be put through a technician who will help you. This si regardless of whether itis an OEM or not. The person who offered you SP1 should not do so if they are NOT a technician, the SP1 patch is really a series of patches and updates for Win XP thats all!
    I would ring the nuimber i have given you again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OEM Hardware - means unbadged - less middlemen

eg: Logitech used to make 90% of the worlds mice - most did not have a Logitech badge on them, Sony used to make Dell notebooks and still make most LCD screens, most white electrical goods are made in a few factories in northern Italy, JVC made most of the early VCR's and other companies put their Badges on and upped the price.

==============
    OEM Software

Then M$ came along and corrupted the word with thier twisted view of english (eg: Remove All - M$ still do not use three letter words the way we do - I'll dig up the six page list of dll's left behind by Office 97 Remove ALL .)

OEM in Micro$peak means non-transferrable SW - ie. you have to buy another licence off us sooner or later. Prior to this you could use the one product on two machines (but not at the same time obviously) - now you can only use the SW on the machine it came with - if the machine dies - so does the licence .....

I read a bit of the license for (I think it was) M$ office 2k pro and I'm pretty sure it was OEM because all I had was the Jewel cases with the CDs which was how they came with the system.
    It said that the user was licensed to use the software on their home PC ie. desktop and the user was also licensed to use it on a portable device.
    I find the point that an OEM license is void if the computer goes boom highly disturbing. How can a company tell you that you can't use this product you have if the thing you bought it with broke!
    If that happened to me then I'd still use the product anyway, as I'm sure most would. To me it's an abuse of the customer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

There are times when buying OEM products are a lot more attractive such as seagate hard drives or kingston memory which are easy to install and always work ( make sure you get the right part number)

and there are other times when buying the " branded kit is the only option" to insure your warranties and suppoty on the rest of the system is valid.

I say HDD's and RAM are a good choice for buying OEM for the reason that kingston give lifetime warranties and seagate offer up to 5 years.. other manufactures also offer good warranties but these two are the biggest

Advertisement