Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky + arrived - New orders

• 12-06-2003 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Got a call today and after paying 500 and something euro it will be installed on 25th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I would say you are one of the lucky few:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

We're rockin':

Dear Kevin

Thank you for your email about Sky+.

I can confirm that Sky+ and additional Sky digiboxes are available from 12
    June 2003. We were just informed that they were available on the 9 June
    2003. I am sorry that this has happened.

I trust this information has been helpful. Should you require any further
    assistance, please contact our customer service team on 1 800 535 767.
    Alternatively you may email us at the above address.

Kind regards

Jessica Turner
    Customer Admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Merged two open threads.

This thread will be for those who will be ordering Sky +, the one ShaneOC opened will be for those who already had the equipment and have got it activated.

Good News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what is the cost of a sky+ box and installation?

July 1 installation.

E475.

Make sure if ordering to say that you have the dish on the chimney (if you have it there) as they need to send different crews for roof installs.

Still would have preferred to buy it off Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

399 euro for box 75 for + install 40 to relocate exsiting box.
    Is it worth it ,is it a rip off.UK prices a lot lower

Yeah but what are you going to do?

You can't source a Sky+ box in Dixons in the UK at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how big is the hard drive in a Sky + box and is there really a need for an installer to put it in if you buy it else where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

As far as I know it is a 40Gig drive. It can record approx 20hrs.

Sky claim that it has to installed by a Sky installer but there is not an awful lot involved. Basically you must swap the quad LNB for the single one, so if you have easy access to the dish it should be easy. It is then simply a case of running a second length of CT100 cable from the LNB to the Sky+ box.

I think the installers may use a cable with two cores inside it. It is slightly thicker than the standard one. Handy if the cables are running outside of the house. I have the house wired for Sky+ though, so I am just using two cable runs inside the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The hard drive is 40Gb.

You could probably install it yourself without any problems if you know what you are doing. You need to replace the LNB and run an extra cable around to your digibox from the dish.

But on the box it does have stickers all over saying something like "this Sky+ box must be installed by a reputable Sky installer"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Beat me to it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by johnnyq
    I would say you are one of the lucky few:)
    I stand corrected !

I have asked for my old box to be relocated upstairs.I will not be getting a mirror sub .Will the installer want / have to put in phone line.I have no phone points up stairs if it has to be installed will they want extra money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by andyeire
    I have asked for my old box to be relocated upstairs.I will not be getting a mirror sub .Will the installer want / have to put in phone line.I have no phone points up stairs if it has to be installed will they want extra money?

Well I dont think you will need phoneline upstairs but if the relocation cost is subsidised there may be an extra charge as you are not taking out mirror sub.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The Sky + box is currently advertised on the Dixons website for £199.
    There is no mention of LNB, does anyone know if it comes with one?
    It appears to be a different box than that shown in recent sky publicity, is there any difference apart from cosmetic appearance?

Originally posted by John R
    The Sky + box is currently advertised on the Dixons website for £199.
    There is no mention of LNB, does anyone know if it comes with one?
    It appears to be a different box than that shown in recent sky publicity, is there any difference apart from cosmetic appearance?

A gentleman who frequents these boards gota discount of 10% on the 199 price because there was no LNB although there was some difficulty as they initially insisted on a contract. Quad lnb's on their own are 109 euro so factor this cost in.

Good luck

Got a call today and after paying 500 and something euro it will be installed on 25th

So Sky are charging 101 for install is that correct? Just got a UK source for boxes, was wondering if I could match or better Sky's prices.

Thanks

Tony,

I'm being charged E399 plus E75 for install.

Even if you can't match it I'd much rather cancel my Sky/Sierra install and switch to your company.

Any more info?

Originally posted by kevmac
    Tony,

I'm being charged E399 plus E75 for install.

Even if you can't match it I'd much rather cancel my Sky/Sierra install and switch to your company.

Any more info?

Hi Kev, thanks for your kind words, hope the mods dont mind me posting this, if so please delete Damo and I'll mail Kev.

I can match this price if there are no long cable runs IE 15m plus and you have a phone point within 2m. I have 4 units on the way from UK of 2nd generation Sky +, I can seel these on their own too if anyone is interested.

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tony, if you intend to sell them "as is" what cost would they be? Plus, if I were to buy one, would I need a phoneline connected to use the HDD facility? As I have a UK sub, this is not feasible!

I think I heard somewhere that the HDD can be changed as they're just standard PC HDDs. Not totally sure though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by byte
    Tony, if you intend to sell them "as is" what cost would they be? Plus, if I were to buy one, would I need a phoneline connected to use the HDD facility? As I have a UK sub, this is not feasible!

I think I heard somewhere that the HDD can be changed as they're just standard PC HDDs. Not totally sure though.

Same as Sky 399, I'm not sure about activation though as it requires a call back after install. I'm selling them without any subsidy or rstriction but sky may not activate a non ROI card. HDD can be changed, there was a recent article in What satellite about this

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

hello everyone, this is my first post (after lurking around these boards for a few months).

anyway i've convinced my flatmates to go for Sky Digital (Sky World package) and I'd like to go the whole hog and also get SKY+. how much would this cost in total for a new installation?

Originally posted by Tony
    Same as Sky 399, I'm not sure about activation though as it requires a call back after install. I'm selling them without any subsidy or rstriction but sky may not activate a non ROI card. HDD can be changed, there was a recent article in What satellite about this

Tony

Does that include the LNB? if so I would be interested.

Does that include the LNB? if so I would be interested.

Yes it does

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good question John R. Hmm, I'd be able to install myself, with the exception of the phoneline callback! There's always a snag! :rolleyes:

Tony if you can contact me when you get them in I will take one off your hands.

Tony if you can contact me when you get them in I will take one off your hands.

E mailed you, thanks John

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Tony - With Sky+ you need a Quad LND but does that mean that you need 4 cable runs also from the dish or does 2 cables carry the 4 feeds ?

Originally posted by Couch Potato
    Tony - With Sky+ you need a Quad LND but does that mean that you need 4 cable runs also from the dish or does 2 cables carry the 4 feeds ?

You dont necessarily need a quad lnb, it supplied so you can hook up your existing box. A sky + box requires just two cables so you use two outputs from the lnb.

Hope this answers your question

Tony

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Tony
    You dont necessarily need a quad lnb, it supplied so you can hook up your existing box. A sky + box requires just two cables so you use two outputs from the lnb.

Hope this answers your question

Tony

If I am reading you correctly then you need 2 cables from the Quad LNB ... to run the Sky+ box ...

So I guess I need to get a 2nd cable installed .. better get out my drill ...

If I am reading you correctly then you need 2 cables from the Quad LNB ... to run the Sky+ box ...

So I guess I need to get a 2nd cable installed .. better get out my drill ...

Yep thats all u need

Sky+ to be installed on wednesday does anybody have a link to pictures of version2 boxes,so i dont get stuck with old style box?

As I've posted before: If you want to know everything about Sky+ then go to www.plusworld.co.uk

skyboxnew1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Grayarea

Originally posted by byte
    Good question John R. Hmm, I'd be able to install myself, with the exception of the phoneline callback! There's always a snag! :rolleyes:

My box has not called back yet, and Sky turned on my Sky+ functionallity without forceing me to do a call back.

Grayarea.

Just finished getting Sky+ installed, good job Tony.

First impression of Live Pause is that it's amazing.

Tip for activation though;two of the operators were saying that Sky+ is not available in the ROI!

Finally found someone who knew what they were talking about and got switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Tip for activation though;two of the operators were saying that Sky+ is not available in the ROI!

They are something else :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy it.

Just finished getting Sky+ installed, good job Tony.

First impression of Live Pause is that it's amazing.

Finally found someone who knew what they were talking about and got switched on.

Did you have any hassle when requesting to be switched on ?? - I mean from the point of not ordering directly from Sky?

As I've posted before: If you want to know everything about Sky+ then go to www.plusworld.co.uk

What's under the flap on the left hand side ???

No problem except ringing back twice to get someone who knew that the ROI was now connected to Sky+.

That's for your Sky card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Did you have any hassle when requesting to be switched on ?? - I mean from the point of not ordering directly from Sky?

No, I had no hassle,but you do need your phone line connected, the Sky agent ,whom we all know, I think had a bit of a problem with the call back but he got it sorted. I checked with Sky before i got the box in UK. I told them what I was doing,(ie getting the box in the UK), and they said that would be no problem.They do not insist Sky+has to be installed by Sierra, but it would be advisable to have it installed by a Sky agent.

• Advertisement

Waiting in for Sky+ ................... get call from Sky not going to happen 'problem with booking'.When i rang Sky to find out they dont know what went wrong and cant solve problem.The only solution is to rebook and pay another 500 yoyos before they can tell me when it will be installed.It will take 3-5 working days to get my money back from original booking.Told them to stuff it .Maybe it wasnt meant to be:(

Andy sorry for your trouble, is it €500 they are charging now?

Tony

Waiting in for Sky+ ................... get call from Sky not going to happen 'problem with booking'.When i rang Sky to find out they dont know what went wrong and cant solve problem.The only solution is to rebook and pay another 500 yoyos before they can tell me when it will be installed.It will take 3-5 working days to get my money back from original booking.Told them to stuff it .Maybe it wasnt meant to be:(

514 euro including relocation of other box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

They cant charge you money for something you hav'nt got (consumer affairs and all that) threaten the media and that should solve it

Strange. E399 and E75 when I first ordered off Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    threaten the media

ah now, you can't blame the media for everything :D

399 + 75+40 for second box to be moved did you pay less.?

They will give my money back but after 3-5 days .But they will not reorder untill i pay another 514 euro.They charge your card when you order not when they install.My card was debited for the full amount the day i placed original order.ie they had my money for 3 weeks .
    What waiting times are there on install of Sky+ now any ideas?

399 + 75+40 for second box to be moved did you pay less.?

.But they will not reorder untill i pay another 514 euro.They charge your card when you order not when they install.My card was debited for the full amount the day i placed original order.ie they had my money for 3 weeks .
    What waiting times are there on install of Sky+ now any ideas?

ehh no I'm a retailer but since sky have prevented retailers from taking part in Sky + I've imported some boxes from UK, dont know how long I'll get away with this.

I was just wondering what sky were charging for comparison.

3 weeks seems like a long time but to be fair they must charge in advance as there is so much credit card fraud out there. We normally debit a few days before install as it takes this long for the bank to clear payment.

Regards Tony

Did you pay less
    This was directed at kevmac he said he only paid 399 + 75
    I was wondering did he get a different price from Sky than me

Andyeire,

I originally was charged that by Sky but I cancelled when Tony said he could match it (and obviousy i would get a much more professional install).

Didn't bother getting other digbox relocated - will do that when (or if) UTV and C4 go satellite and I get rid of NTL.

Then again, I have NTL's superb 600K broadband so I think I'll have a problem getting rid of just the TV and keeping the 600K connection.

Does anyone know if NTL will let you do this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement