Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFT Choices! Boardsies Input requested.

• 13-06-2003 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hey Folks.

Right once again I need to feed off the colective brains of the Boardsies. :)

I've seen Kompletts Weekly prealert this week for a 19" fine looking LCD Monitor.
    Had a search here but I'm sorta looking for specifics.

So just wondering has anyone got any recomendations/what to look out for as the best/ which brands are better etc etc. I've heard that the lower the response time the better.

I'm looking at a 18" or 19" for heavyish pc use and a fair bit of gaming. (the one thing that has stopped me getting an lcd in the past was the horrible ghosting in games)

THinking of either the Hansol 19" in Komplett. although its 25ms.
    http://www.hansol-uk.com/whatcanibuy/tft/H950.htm

OR a Sony SDM-82x - its 18" but from what I can see the response time is 10ms:20ms rise/fall??
    http://www.sony-cp.com/en/products/lcd/x_exceptional/x82/index.html

So what do ye all think.

Cheers
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hate doing this: ^Bump^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I've never used any of them, but there's some good articlea on all of this over on toms hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/display/index.html)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

As response times go, yes the lower the better.
    The latest TFTs have a response time of 16ms.
    I've never had the opportunity to test these sweet, sweet pieces of equipment :) but apparently this time is fast enough to get rid of any ghosting (going on reviews and hearsay here).
    The only brand names that I've seen around with regularity are Hansol, Sony, Samsung and Pioneer (I'm not 100% if it was pioneer not! :rolleyes:)

As you no doubt know already, the stated size (18", 19") is the viewable area of the screen not like the CRTs.
    That's about all I know on the subject.
    You could try googling for something like TFT vs. CRT and see what comes up. I read a review like that before and it gave me a much clearer picture (excuse the pun :)) of the pros and cons of a TFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I have a 17" Hansol TFT (highly recommended), and while I'm not a hard-core gamer, I do play games. What is ghosting? Can anyone point out examples of it (pics or diagrams preferably).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

OK this is a VERY rought explanation of ghosting. :)

Basically ghosting is when a monitor takes too long to switch the pixels from one color to another. If the monitor cannot change the color of each individual pixel fast enough, it starts to sort of look blured. This is "ghosting"

Sorry bit short.

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement