Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The joys of procrastination

• 13-06-2003 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

recently, i find myself wasting a load of time surfing these boards when i should be studying. It s a right bitch having 2 subjects (phys and chem) which are relatively similar left coz u cant go away and study something different really to take a break from all the sciencey stuff every now and then like all the "experts" say you are supposed to.

Any 1 else suffering similar problems, or am i just lazy???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Yeah, I'm the same, I dont call it a problem tho, I call it a method. I just procrastinate by nature, its what I do best. I cant study if its not entirely urgent that I do it. I learn most when the pressure is on and I only have a quoted time to do it. All last year for example, I would wake up at like 6-7am most days to do my homework if I had to, cos I can't force myself to work at any other time, its only in the morning that it's definite that I dont have any time left to waste.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ditto Ste :/ , Same deal pseudo, only phys and chem left now (wh00t) . However I am only on for the duration of my lunch, then (maybe) 7 hours of learning off the mandatory chem experiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

procrastination is a great thing:D

In terms of the studying just do 30 - 50 mins of study and then walk away from the desk for at least 10 mins. I know what your saying about it being nice to have something different to study for a change of scenary but just go for a walk or watch tv, listen to music, make a cup of whatever etc.,

10 - 15 mins of doing something non-study related and you should be able to get back into it grand (pressuming you always have something specific lined up that you want to do next). If concentration is lagging just take your break that bit earlier you'll get back into it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I find the hardest thing is to get going.
    Once I get going I can go up to 2/3 hours.
    Its the first 30 mins that are hell.

Originally posted by PHB
    I find the hardest thing is to get going.
    Once I get going I can go up to 2/3 hours.
    Its the first 30 mins that are hell.
    Thats a good point, everyone studies differently. I would spend the last 2 of the 3 hours staring into space. I can put in a 2 or 3 hour stint when my back is against the wall but that will be it for the day then.

I can get into a short stint of study if I know exactly what I'm going to be doing. I find it easier and less painful to get into if I know that I only actually intend to be there a short amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

well, that makes me feel better, but i think im still lazy. Making a stab at the chemistry defintions but am now listening to music, browsing these boards, and have every intention of playin guitar for a while, and before i know it the day will be gone, ah well.

:o

You can pretend your in kindergarten or something. 15mins or guitar will be your reward for 40 mins (productive!) study

You should have underlined bolded and italicised productive. [/FONT]

how many times have u sat down for hours and gone away not remembering wot it was exactly you were studying???

That's the whole point about studying for hours not actually working. Your memory retention will be lower the longer you spend studying at any one occasion.

Apparently your memory intake peaks at the start and end of study sessions and will be progressively worse the longer you spend at it. Therefore lots of little study periods is the best way to go if you can manage it.

Yeah, I've been told that too.
    But personally, I find that if I do 30 - 40 min stints i get **** all learnt, as you dont have enough time to cover a topic well enough.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you are studying too whether it's going to fit into a nice 40min parcel, naturally it's going to change from person to person also. It's an area I find interesting but I wouldn't be suggesting that people try to change their study habits right in the middle of the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭neohoki

This may sound crazy but if you start earlier (like around 7) its easier to get started fr some reason so do it! whats i hear you say "neo you're crazy go f*** a sheep!"well when you're lying the gutter offerin handjobs for crack don't come crying to me.................................

ps:cos i'll be there right beside ya drowning in my own vommit and or phaeces(is that how you spell it)

This may sound crazy but if you start earlier (like around 7) its easier to get started fr some reason so do it! whats i hear you say "neo you're crazy go f*** a sheep!"well when you're lying the gutter offerin handjobs for crack don't come crying to me.................................

Thats an interesting perspective to put on things, but its not much help in trying to learn physics experiments.,

I used to do that, got up at 5 and did 3 hrs study.
    I used to get soo much covered in the morning, but coudlnt do anything at night cause I was too tired.

its too hard to study at night anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I'm odd... :D Can't study anything in the morning... 1am is a very productive time for me though....

surprisingly enough im actually getting a good bit done at the moment. ive just revised the properties of geiger mueller counters and nuclear physics, which is no mean feat for a SATURDAY morning.

Originally posted by pseudonym
    surprisingly enough im actually getting a good bit done at the moment. ive just revised the properties of geiger mueller counters and nuclear physics, which is no mean feat for a SATURDAY morning.

eh...but you're on the internet...im pretty sure thats procrastinating....(yes i know i'm on the internet too but im looking for art history stuff damnit i hate romanesque architecture)

Originally posted by neohoki
    eh...but you're on the internet...im pretty sure thats procrastinating....(yes i know i'm on the internet too but im looking for art history stuff damnit i hate romanesque architecture)

smartass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I am getting pretty sick of study at this stage of studying, but given the heavy schedule ahead of me, of Physics, Chemistry, Construction Studies and Applied Maths, I can't afford to ease up.

Pretty much going from 10 in the morning through to 9 at night. Usually take an hour break for lunch and dinner. Depending on the subject I am studying, the regularity of minor breaks varies. With applied maths, I usually dont stop until I've run out of past exam questions, paper, or its time to eat. With the others its usually a trip for a glass of water or a piss every hour, give or take.

This has been my schedule for the since Tuesday, though I took Friday evening off to stave off burning out.

So very, very tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 romey

hmm...... yes well during the times iv found i needed to study i have realised i also needed to: feed the dog,feed the cat,purchase new food for the cat cause he wont eat...,brush the dog,wash the dog(cause his smell was distrubing my "study") ,take the dog to the vet cause he was making a werid coughing noise (and in the process found my rubber!)........and geez i cant even spell procastanation
    you think you know fear? I'v seen them naked!
    :)

Advertisement