Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver, it's officially here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by DeVore
    Because they have to pay the person who has to chase the bill.
    And have systems in place to monitor and generate those bills.

DeV.

Damn you and your business like sense!!! :-)

As DeV said, UTV are a company, and companies need to at least break even. A small profit here and there would be nice too, but I suspect UTV are just looking to keep people happy and give them a service that works and make a few bob here and there.

Gandalf and others, a 10GB cap would be nice etc, but I think by imposing it now they can extend the service later once all the inital teething bugs are ironed out and the warez monkeys get either culled or cop on.

We can hope that the CAP gets reviewed at some point.

Paul

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi Martin,

I believe you may have a mistake in your FAQ http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=192&category=broadband
    I'm setting up my ADSL router/modem by hand what are the settings I need to use?

Use the username, password and telephone number on your welcome letter/e-mail.
    Use the below settings as needed:

Modulation: Multimode
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38
    Encapsulation mode: RFC2364 VC multiplexed PPP
    ATM mode: PPP over ATM

Shouldn't the ATM mode be PPPoE, isn't that what RADSL in Ireland is based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by DeVore
    Because they have to pay the person who has to chase the bill.
    And have systems in place to monitor and generate those bills.
    DeV.
    Are you seriously defending them charging us what looks like €14 over and above the cost price for every gig over 5 gigs someone downloads (yes they only threaten to impose the cap yada yada yada, but why else say it)?

I've as much goodwill towards UTV as anyone else for trying to give us some choice, but I'm not going to try and defend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

It does seem to be a lot more difficult to migrate over from utvip to clicksilver than i thought it would . It seems atm that you have to cancel your old account and sign up for a new one , I kinda understand the need for new DD forms , but surely an e-mail or a phone call should be enough to switch from one package to another , no ?

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeh, I encountered that problem also. Martin & Co - you guys should provide a proper migration mechanism for existing UTVip customers. The DD application form makes no allowance for this. Surely having to request a cancelation of UTVip and THEN request Clicksilver installation is a bit 20th century? :) Why can't you guys just use the existing direct debit that you use for my UTVip subscription? I could pay the €99 install fee with my credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am very disappointed in UTV's attitude to their current customers so far.

First of all we are being asked to cancel our current contracts and sign up for adsl as if they never existed. This despite the fact that they have all our details currently on hand. There's no information as the when the new service is likely to be available so how do you know when to give notice on the current contract.

There's no mention anywhere so far of savings for people who dont want modems.

Most infuriatingly when I attempted to sign up the site would not recognise a laser card. God I hate it when big companies waste my time and behave without any sort of common sense too.:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Yeah, it would be sweet if we could just pay the €99 by credcard and continue with our existing dd accounts.

What about existing email accounts and webspace when we cancel?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by hmmm
    Are you seriously defending them charging us what looks like €14 over and above the cost price for every gig over 5 gigs someone downloads (yes they only threaten to impose the cap yada yada yada, but why else say it)?

I've as much goodwill towards UTV as anyone else for trying to give us some choice, but I'm not going to try and defend this.

Sorry I wasnt aware I was defending anything. I dont work for UTV I'm just explaining the reasoning. I politely left out another reason: "profit".

UTV are a company, they are LEGALLY OBLIGED to "act in the best interests of theit shareholders". *shrug*.

What I *like* about them is that they have realised that the best interests of their shareholders is served by making us happy :)
    I make no comment on their costs and charges, thats really up to each person as their wallet dictates.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, it turfed out my laser card too. I'll try again some other time. Probably.

You'd think they might have actually tested this before going live...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Got a mail back from Support in UTV and they said they are currently looking into the migration process for users of UTVip.
    This is a good thing, but would have been nice if it had been sorted out before launching the product..........

The thing I have the most problem with is the T&C relating to the 12 month contract - for a start I don't really want to sign a 12 month contract with anyone - but I certainly don't want to be placed in a situation where if I have to move house I'd end up having to pay off the remainder of a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

It would be nice too if they made sure that the site accepted laser cards before invitings us to waste time inputting details they already had!!!! God I truly hate wasting time fillling in forms and then finding that the site wont accept them but when they bloodywell have all the details already its particularly infuriating!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Again maybe I should have left my initial application with ESAT they would not have been more bureaucratic!!!

Well, I have the DD form filled out and a cheque for €99 which I intended to send tomorrow (Monday 16/06).
    As a current UTVip customer, I will wait until I hear the latest from Scott (or any UTVi rep) about account migration and whether I need to cancel/reapply or just have my account updated.
    I had expected to retain my existing UTVip email/webspace/telephony and basically carry on as normal with the existing DD agreement.

I am sure that's what most people would have thought!

Why is it not possible to ask all ROI customers who want to avail of the new service to sign a very simple form to that effect and take it from there?

Direct debit arrangements are always for variable amounts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I too am very disappointed that current UTVip customers are not being looked after here - I was all set to sign up on Friday but didn't bother due to lack of details on account migration etc., especially given that we were asked if we had a UTVip account on the pre-registration.
    Scott & Co - can you please sort out account migration.
    I'd also appreciate some further details on transferring from ISDN to RADSL - will this happen in one day, or will I need to invest in a modem for the interim period?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I rang tech support about account migration from UtvIp to ClickSilverl.

Apparently there is none? I have to provide 30 days notice to cancel my UtvIp account so I will get billed for the over lap? I could understand it if I was going to a competitor but surely not if I'm upgrading to another Utv product?

P.S. No choice of Ethernet modem either?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm actually very surprised at UTV regarding this. I would expect the easiest customers to get for Clicksilver would be the existing UTVip customers so I don't think it would be too much to ask for a seamless changeover between the 2 products.

I'll try and ring them tomorrow myself to discuss this (if I get a chance to as I'm up to my ears in work).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I haven't gone to the registration page myself yet as I'd like to wait to see how this pans out before signing up plus the fact that I'm stoney broke atm :D . Anyway I failed my first line test a few weeks ago which leads me to my question. Are UTV asking for cheques and DD's to be set up before they even know if Eircon have passed your line or are you told to only register etc if you know you've already passed a line test? If its the former then thats even more ridiculous then the lack of a system of migration for existing customers!!:rolleyes:

I certainly hope that there are no problems with migration from UTVip to their new FRIACO product come the end of June!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You can check if you can get DSL when you go to the Clicksilver page.

They said on the UTV Support Newsgroup that they'll see what they can do about migrating customers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by PiE
    You can check if you can get DSL when you go to the Clicksilver page.

They said on the UTV Support Newsgroup that they'll see what they can do about migrating customers tomorrow.

You can check if you're on an enabled exchange, not if you can 'get' DSL. Imagine the 50%+ of those who sign up and post their cheques and set-up their DD's only to be told, "oh dear sorry, your line doesn't pass". Imagine all those refunds having to be organised by the Utv billing department. Its a disaster waiting to happen which will do UTV's credibility no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK rang UTV today and was advised by Support to email admin@utvip.com and inform them that I want to switch to clicksilver and I would like it to be a seamless transfer of account details. I have also asked them if there will be no additional charge or 30 day issues as I am an existing UTV customer.

I'll let you know what the reply is.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

I just spoke to Charles in UTVi and he said I should email admin@utvip.com and inform them I want to switch my account to broadband. He said there was no need to send the DD form and cheque (which I was about to do). I asked him twice about this.

UTVi t: 0891 926000

edit: oops didn't see Gandalf's post

If it is the case that a seamless transfer can be effected would it not have been far better for UTV to tell us this upfront vian an email to existing customers?

It all still sounds a bit iffy to me

For instance what does a seamless transfer mean?

will vip cease and that awfully named click silver start on the same day?

when is broadband likely to be delivered?

will we be charged proportionately for the month in question?

How much do we save by not getting a modem? what bout delivery instructions for the modem if theres nobody at home during the day?

and so on and so on!!!

UTV lack of preparation on this one does not inspire confidence

As a current UTVip customer the only thing that's been holding me back from ordering the new broadband service is this confusion over the setting up and possible charges that I may incur with the change over (I mean the 30 day period for the dialup - and is it rolled up into the broadband charge)......

anyway, from what the guys have been told today this has now been partially cleared up, so could you guys give us a little more information on it and clarify it ?

as always your input would be much appreciated,

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Shouldn't the ATM mode be PPPoE, isn't that what RADSL in Ireland is based on?
    Yes, I'll have that amended on the FAQ. Sorry about that, one of the small discrepancies between the wires only product in the ROI and the UK.
    UTV lack of preparation on this one does not inspire confidence
    We are actively working on a migration process to alleviate as much work as possible from the customers point of view. I think everyone here will understand that we were under pressure to launch a service and make public the core points of the service (price etc.) as soon as possible.

We're obviously working furiously on both DSL and FRIACO at present so we may not be replying here as frequently as previously ;)

Cheers Martin,

I can understand you guys are very busy, especially with two product launches in two weeks.........but.......

any idea when there will be a little more clarification on these matters ?

cheers,
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

A guy posted either in here or the BB forum an e-mail he received about line testing, it said that eircom have to do extensive testing at the exchange.

my question is that eircom have there database that tests there lines every month,

So my question is how exactly are your line tests done as regards your BB

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

So my question is how exactly are your line tests done as regards your BB
    As Eircom own the copper to the end user, and it is generally this copper that dictates your DSL availability, then we rely on Eircom to test the line. They have a database of line tests, and any missing are generally performed within 24hours for us. These tests are totally within Eircoms domain and there is very little transparency on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

wish utv admin would reply to me 8(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Martin, I understand that EsatBT have regularly scheduled meetings with Comreg to resolve issues on a case-by-case basis, and that Comreg is willing to provide this service to all ISP's. It appears that the other bitstream reseller hasn't availed of this service, I wonder if UTV will be?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Gosh y'all!

Not long ago, not long at all, people were screaming, demanding that UTV get on with the broadband launch. Scott told all he could tell at the moment. The messages on here were urgently demanding. Now now now, or else!

It appears to me that the urgency was heeded, and they have rolled out a competitive product in short order (along with the FRIACO product).

Now we are whinging that they didn't see to every convenient detail regarding switching us over from one account to the other?!

I think appreciation for response to customer demands has plummeted and we are just expecting UTV to immediately deliver exactly what *we* want at a moment's notice.

If they had taken all the time needed to have every little sign-up detail in order before launching, we'd have been screaming that they were delaying too long, and hrmph we'd take our business elsewhere.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

I'd go in person to a UTV office and fill out my details in triplicate to avoid using certain other ISP's!

Let's play nice.

Ban' She

Advertisement