Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver, it's officially here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Martin, I understand that EsatBT have regularly scheduled meetings with Comreg to resolve issues on a case-by-case basis,
    General issues or specific BB issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

As stated earlier in this forum, we are working on developing an easy migration process from our existing products to Clicksilver. We want to ensure that we deliver an easy option that will not double bill (or under bill) for your account and that avoids any unneccessary hassle for you the customer or our already pressurised technical and admin staff. This may not be ready this evening but be assured that it will be available tomorrow at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you reselling the eircom product directly or are you purchasing it from another telco, as a matter of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    General issues or specific BB issues?
    BB to the best of my knowledge Martin.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Malcom,
    thanks again for the input, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned, I'll sign up when it's ready,

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

according to eircom my phone is broadband enabled but according to utv it is not. emailed utv and this is their reply

It would seem that Eircom's site is confirming that lots of non-enabled phone lines are in enabled areas. (checking the same lines with IOL/Esat also show that they are not enabled). Eircom has no come back to us after we reported this issue to them.

anyone come across this and does this imply that utv are reselling the esat product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by sixtysix
    according to eircom my phone is broadband enabled but according to utv it is not. emailed utv and this is their reply

It would seem that Eircom's site is confirming that lots of non-enabled phone lines are in enabled areas. (checking the same lines with IOL/Esat also show that they are not enabled). Eircom has no come back to us after we reported this issue to them.

anyone come across this and does this imply that utv are reselling the esat product

this is the second time an isp has quoted this in here so now im confused, your line is not enabled until eircom actually goes to the exchnage and enables it on utvs behalf, have eircom e-mailed you to say its enabled, cause if they havent then your line has not been activated yet, a line carries the signal only, but it has to be enabled to do so, the only other reason this could be is, your outside the 2.5kms, lines degraded or you got a splitter box

Thats my understanding

Shin

Originally posted by sixtysix

Yeah they are re-selling the Esat/IOL product. Which would imply that they can't *not* impose the 5gb cap...

Shiz, by 'enabled' they mean capable of dsl. They should probably use another word...might be seen as a wee bit misleading to some, I suppose.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

cap, evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

BB to the best of my knowledge Martin
    Adam, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Esat or anyone else takes individual DSL cases before ComReg. I'll try and get more info, but Eircom really are the gatekeeper here - if they say your line is not usable for DSL, then there isn't much we (or Esat etc.) can do. Their ordering system is automated and as such quite inflexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by eth0_
    Yeah they are re-selling the Esat/IOL product. Which would imply that they can't *not* impose the 5gb cap...

Shiz, by 'enabled' they mean capable of dsl. They should probably use another word...might be seen as a wee bit misleading to some, I suppose.

UTV are not re-selling esats xDSL product. if any mention of Esat comes up or is leaked from within any companies, clarify the information. UTV are re-selling eircoms RADSL product and such can go where Eircom are. As far as I'm aware esat don't have a wholesale product for their business DSL.

UTV may be using Esat as a carrier, this doesn't make them a re-seller.

Paul

Originally posted by flamegrill
    UTV are not re-selling esats xDSL product.

I don't see any denial of that from Martin in his post above....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've PM'd you Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

if they are reselling the esat/iol product this has implications for the dublin area particularly-from my reading of these boards very few exchanges in dublin are esat enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

well i got this email today:
    Clicksilver Sign Up Payment Receipt
    ===================================

Customer: Peter Brady
    Account Ref: <bleep>
    Payment Type: master card
    Amount: £84.26 ex VAT
    VAT: £14.74
    Total charged: £99.00 inc VAT

VAT Number: 656 6155 16
    Bill and Tax point: 18 June 2003

Please keep this receipt for your records

Thank you,
    UTV Internet

This is interesting, as although their site says i'm on a dsl enabled exchange (I am - blanchardstown), the competition (Esat, Netsource & Eircom) have all previously told me my line fails.

Here's hoping UTV have pulled something out of the hat for me & aren't debiting credit cards before carrying out line tests....

Interesting times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

I got the same e-mail today, and promptly asked why the **** they charged me in pounds; kind of knowing it was euro. Got a reply fairly quickly saying it was a typo, that I'd be billed in euro.

An interesting thing is that all except E-Live have said I'm game for ADSL. E-Live said "We're sorry, but ADSL is not available in your area. We'll let you know when it is" two weeks ago. I guess they're reselling Esat's business ADSL. ("All" being Eircom, IOL, UTV and Netsource.) Esat, not very kindly, referred me to IOL.

When asking UTV about ethernet modems for my - not at the moment present - Windows NT PC, they offered a €69 installation fee without modem (for me to get my own modem). So I guess they allow ethernet modems and not only USB ones. It sounded very much like "special price just for you" but I don't think that's UTV's way of doing business :-)

/T

Originally posted by pete

Here's hoping UTV have pulled something out of the hat for me & aren't debiting credit cards before carrying out line tests....

You'd think so wouldn't you. But I just saw this on utv.support

>Will cheques be cashed, credit cards debited and so on before lines are
    >checked?

I'd imagine so ... methinks we get charged before their done. I'll
    find out for sure tomorrow.

Carl.

Originally posted by eth0_
    You'd think so wouldn't you. But I just saw this on utv.support

>Will cheques be cashed, credit cards debited and so on before lines are
    >checked?

I'd imagine so ... methinks we get charged before their done. I'll
    find out for sure tomorrow.

Carl.

ah it was good while it lasted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

UTV accepted my shiney laser card at the weekend. Got my reciept too.

Before I signed up I called eircom sales to get my line tested. The droid told me it would take 2 to 3 weeks to check the line cos an engineer would have to be sent to my exchange (which smelt a little of bovine excrement to me). A couple of days later the (very polite and helpful) rep rang back saying I'd passed and if I gave a few details I could order Adsl.

I politely declined saying that I was going on holiday or something.

The moral of the story is if you want a large corporation to do something for you in a hurry, it's best to dangle potential cash at them.

So it's on the way and I'm full of childish anticipation at the prospect of leaving 56k behind.

Will tell yiz how I got on with it.

so annyyways.

in response to
    hi

does this [credit card receipt] mean my line passed the linetest?

pete

i got
    Hi

Initial tests indicate that you are living in a ADSL enabled area. Further line tests will be done at the exchange to determine whether ADSL can be enabled on your line. You will be notified either way by our Admin team whether you can receive ADSL or not.

Regards
    Charles

ho hum

so i'm 4 for 4

who will save me from my 56k hell?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sir Random
    Well, I have the DD form filled out and a cheque for €99 which I intended to send tomorrow (Monday 16/06).
    As a current UTVip customer, I will wait until I hear the latest from Scott (or any UTVi rep) about account migration and whether I need to cancel/reapply or just have my account updated.
    I had expected to retain my existing UTVip email/webspace/telephony and basically carry on as normal with the existing DD agreement.
    A migration process from UTVip to Clicksilver broadband is now available within your on-line account details at www.utvip.com/youraccount (LHS menu). This allows you to check availability of broadband in your exchange area and if available proceed to order. You will have to agree to the new contract term, 12 months, and the terms and conditions of the new service during the order process. The installation fee will be debited within 2 days of ordering from the existing payment method and subsequent monthly payments, if successfully activated, will be taken from the same. There will be a seamless changeover to the new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Thanks Malcolm, what about those of us that have signed up already?

Originally posted by Páid
    Thanks Malcolm, what about those of us that have signed up already?
    Can you clarify what the question is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by Malcolm
    Can you clarify what the question is?
    I hope Páid means those of us who already are UTVip customers that signed up for Clicksilver before the migration process was finalised, like myself. I won't be able to go through the process you outlined above as I've already placed the order for Clicksilver - and been billed for it.

/T

Originally posted by pepsiman
    I hope Páid means those of us who already are UTVip customers that signed up for Clicksilver before the migration process was finalised, like myself. I won't be able to go through the process you outlined above as I've already placed the order for Clicksilver - and been billed for it.

/T
    We will use the same internal process to migrate the accounts. The initail payment will be taken from your payment details supplied on the Clicksilver order or by cheque if provided. The UTVip account will cease when the Clicksilver one is activated and we will charge the subsequent monthly subscription and voice calls to the new (or hopefully the same as existing) payment method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I got this:
    UTV Internet Clicksilver Services
    ===============================
    Dear [Insert amp's real-life(tm) nick here],

The prequalification test on your phone line has indicated that your phone
    line meets the requirements for broadband provisioning.

Further tests still need to be performed before we can confirm that your
    clicksilver account will be activated. We shall contact you again soon
    with further information.

\o/

Tbh I feel like I'm playing an RPG where I must defeat various monsters in order to get the +6 Crown of Adsl. The refresh rate isn't great but faster than I'm used to on this platform. ;)

P.s I just opened a big heavy letter from Eircom which I presumed was my itemized bill but was in fact sales leafets inside a stylish cardboard box. No doubt somebody there feels I don't love them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by amp

Tbh I feel like I'm playing an RPG where I must defeat various monsters in order to get the +6 Crown of Adsl. The refresh rate isn't great but faster than I'm used to on this platform. ;)

LOL - I think its fair to say that you can get it :-), once eircom say you can at all, it means you have passed the frequencey test already. As far as I know thats whats in the database. They test all the lines in each exchange once a month. So i've been informed.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Hey Amp,

I got the same email too today - Keep the faith ;)

me, i got a nice email saying they were refunding my €99

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Right on the money.

I have to say, I've been a happy Utv customer since UtvIp was introduced. Its nice to see an ISP actually listen to their customers and actually change to suit them. I've waited for broadband for YEARS and could have gotten it earlier from other ISP's but waited because of your quality of customer service. Thanks and long may it last.

Advertisement