Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CLICKSILVER from UTV Internet (updated)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

its 5gb according to the ioffl forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

how long minimum contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

12 month min contract.
    5gb cap.
    1.5c / mb charge for going over the cap.

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think its one of the best services around at the moment you arent going to get much cheaper in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

I signed up with for ClickSilver yesterday, I signed up on-line, just gave my CC details, etc. It was all very easy - It even give me the chance to get the modem sent to my office, so I wont have to sit in and wait for the postie!!

I've been a customer of UTVIP since they started - honestly I could not fault them. Ive only ever phoned their techies twice, and both times they were brilliant.

They sent me the following mail:

"We have to activate your telephone line for broadband usage which will take up to 10 working days. Eircom will have to perform several tests on your telephone line from your local exchange, this will not interrupt the normal operation of your line.
    We will contact you with the results of the line tests within this time.
    If you have any other questions or problems regarding your Clicksilver account please contact our team on 1890 926111.

We aim to keep delays to a minimum and hope to have your account activated as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience,
    UTV Internet"

So, its in the hands of Eircon - hopefully I will be up-and-running in 10 days!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

So, its in the hands of Eircon

May God have mercy on your phone line.

now, now,

dont slag Eircon...

if it wasnt for them, who would have given us a Third World Style phone-network??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by original gadget
    I signed up with for ClickSilver yesterday, I signed up on-line, just gave my CC details, etc. It was all very easy - It even give me the chance to get the modem sent to my office, so I wont have to sit in and wait for the postie!!

I've been a customer of UTVIP since they started - honestly I could not fault them. Ive only ever phoned their techies twice, and both times they were brilliant.

They sent me the following mail:

"We have to activate your telephone line for broadband usage which will take up to 10 working days. Eircom will have to perform several tests on your telephone line from your local exchange, this will not interrupt the normal operation of your line.
    We will contact you with the results of the line tests within this time.
    If you have any other questions or problems regarding your Clicksilver account please contact our team on 1890 926111.

We aim to keep delays to a minimum and hope to have your account activated as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience,
    UTV Internet"

So, its in the hands of Eircon - hopefully I will be up-and-running in 10 days!!:D

bah humbug, no line tests will be done from the local exchange, this is how it will go, eircom monkey scratches armpit, oh lookie here he says a UTV clicksilver customer, in between bouts of banana eating and head scratching, trying to figure out how to turn the comp on, he finally gets to the datatbase, now not knowing what a database is more head scratching ensues until he finally figures out you cant type numbers on the keyboard, so thats what thats for, so lets see 0 summit summit, oh look it says failed, much hilarity in the pen ensues, you get a well mannered e-mail from UTV informing you the extensive tests failed and you cannot get clicksilver BB

Next says eircom

Regards

Shin

SHIN!

Why so negitive?
    Is it something you want to talk about? Maybe u had a narrow escape with a P&T van on your BMX bike as a child!!

Of course my line will pass the test! but I am keeping my fingers crossed just-in-case!!

nah just made me smile when they say that extenisve line tests will be done at the exchange when no such thing takes place, Eircoms database is the only thing they look at for line tetsing, only time eircom goto the exchange is when they have to activate your or anyone elses line

Good luck

Regards

Shin

• Advertisement

lol funneh post shin :D

LoL..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ffs

Apparently nobody in Carlow or Kilkenny can get any broadband package that uses eircom's RADSL until mid-July, as eircom can't be arsed fixing some equipment in their exchanges there until then.

Stephen ure right lucky if u live in Kilkenny.. if ure in carlow.. cant help you but.. Check this service out if ure in kilkenny..

• Unlimited surfing for a fixed monthly fee of just €50
    • Flat Rate Internet Access
    • Connect to Cablenet Broadband for the special offer of only €50, Offer ends 31st August 2003
    • Lightning fast download speeds of up to 512k and upload speeds of up to 128k
    • Always on connection. When your computer is on, you're on the internet.
    • Doesn't tie up your phone line
    • Free access to cablenet.ie
    • Up to 5 free email addresses

www.cablenet.ie

Gluck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Lucky bastard. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah I know about that, but the area I live in doesn't have cable, so I can't get it. I know someone who has it and it rules apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    Eircoms database is the only thing they look at for line tetsing, only time eircom goto the exchange is when they have to activate your or anyone elses line

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    Just some of the things they do are to check exactly how far away from the exchange your line is, and they see the line can sustain a DSL connection. They don't just look you up in a database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

If u have the option to go online theres only one sensible way to go... Esat BT buisness line. Speeds of 512K/256k so thats faster upload, theres no cap which means theres no hidden costs (30 euro for xtra GB d/l bull****) and its not weather vairiable so the speed wont change if the weather is ****ty, all for 90 Euros if ur in the area and can get DSL its criminal not to get this service.

Originally posted by eth0_
    WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    Just some of the things they do are to check exactly how far away from the exchange your line is, and they see the line can sustain a DSL connection. They don't just look you up in a database.

yeah right

regards

shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    yeah right

regards

shin

Oh, and you're an expert in telecommunications are you? If so, please tell me exactly what occurs when a DSL order is processed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

well he did pass the ESAT test but won't take it up so Shin in't totally deprived and unloved.

• Advertisement

no im not an expert on telecommunications but ive seen the provisioning process from start to finish needed to know it for work and take it from me all the check is the database and the only exchange thing they do is to enable the line for DSL

regards

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

How do you suppose the information makes it's way INTO the database Shinzon?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

knowing eircom they probably have Homer's parrot punching in random numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

AFAIK Eircom has an automatic test for all lines from enabled exchanges which tests lines about once a month. The results of this are stored in a database. When you call Eircon to ask if you can have DSL they check this database for the result of the most recent test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

As far as I am aware, when you order ADSL an Eircom engineer is paid to go out to the exchange that your home is connected and to put a splitter on your phone line. This same process happens irrespective of your ISP as they all require the Eircom engineer to work some funky mojo on your phone line. The installation is overpriced, but you are definitely getting something for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I just tried to see what the story was with getting UTV BB online. It seems that you have to also go with the UTV phone option if you want to get UTV BB. Has everyone who has got UTV BB also got their phone options (i.e. you pay Eircom the line rental but UTV your call fee's)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yes, that's part of the deal. It's the only way they can make UTVip and Clicksilver profitable.

For most regular phone users it works out a fair bit cheaper than eircom's rates. If you call abroad regularly it can be slightly more expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CrazyHarry

Don't think it is more expensive when calling abroad - I've certainly never found that on my bills and I do a lot of international calling.

Having said that I am now using Vartec's 13636 service for all international calls - 6c per minute for calls to the US and 8c per minute for calls to Spain regardless of time of day or night? Best of both worlds - cheap Internet and cheap calls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Stephen ure right lucky if u live in Kilkenny.. if ure in carlow.. cant help you but.. Check this service out if ure in kilkenny..
    www.cablenet.ie

What about Dunnamaggan (Dún Iomagáin) 15km south of Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
Advertisement