Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg Rural Broadband Proposal

Options
  • 13-06-2003 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

They are looking at making the Mobile Operators provide BB in the more Rural Areas, not Eircom or the WISPs . This system could also obviate the need for BB over Copper.

As a carrot they intend to allocate some valuable Non Line of Sight Spectrum around 1800Mhz to make it happen.

Longer discussion may be found over Here at present.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Nudge!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Muck,

I've replied to the consultation, but have not received any acknowledgement from Comreg.

In the other thread about data line quality two of those who posted mentioned they have received acknowledgement of their posts. Do Comreg acknowledge all submissions ?

Thanks

M.

This particular consultation closes next friday so i thought a weeks warning would be appropriate. They will acknowledge I am sure but the person may not be in today or may do all the acks in one go next friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Ireland Offline response here.

The danger is, we feel, that the mobile firms will take this extra flexibility but not use it unless threatened by competition, in which case, they can use their existing extensive infrastructure to quickly kill that competition. The ability of the mobile firms to do this may act as a deterrent for such competition to appear in the first place. Thus, a stalemate situation is likely to occur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Excelllent response Xian.

adam

• Advertisement

Very good.

Its a lot more statespersonlike than something I could have cooked up meself. :D

TBH if O2 and Vodafone don't offer something in certain Rural areas where they won't roll out 3G anyway then I would open the spectrum to someone who would do so...and give them the whole country while I was at it.

M

Advertisement