Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Router w/ Ethernet?

Options
  • 13-06-2003 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not too hot with these routers and things, so forgive me if this is a stupid question/makes no sense:

I have the eircom Zyxel USB modem connected to my 'main' computer. I also have another computer in the house that has an old 10Mbit Ethernet network card.

What do I need to be able to connect both computers to the one ADSL line? I mean, do I need some special type of router that accepts a USB modem and an Ethernet card or what?
    Also, I read on a similar post that some/most routers come with a modem of their own - does this mean that I could scrap my USB modem and use just the router? And if so, that would solve my USB/Ethernet problem too?

Do I need any other equipment? Like an Ethernet card on my main PC, extra cables/connectors?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You'll definitely need a second network card for starters (you can get them for under €20). Because you're only connecting two computers, you can do without a router. You'd just need some cat5 cross-over cable to connect them together. The only problem with this is that your main computer would have to be turned on for the second comp to access the net. If this is a problem, you can get a router with a built in modem for about €120 and throw away the usb one. Both comps would connect to this with some cat5 straight cable. The router will have it's own power supply, so the second comp can connect without the main one being turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭narnar2000

Thanks for the reply - I'll give that a shot instead.

Thanks again, got that working - beats forking out for a router or hub. Mind you, it didn't go too smoothly - had to install JanaServer before it would work.

What operating system are you using? The network setup wizard in recent version of Windows should have been able to set everything up for you.

On the host (server) machine - Win 2000 Pro
    On the client - Win XP Pro

I could 'see' the other machine (and vice versa) as soon as the network card was installed - that was fine. But trying to set up Internet access for the client was a pain the ass, eventually I went for a proxy, and it worked immediately.

Not that it really matters now, but what are the steps involved in setting up Internet access for the client?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections. If you haven't got a Local Area Connection listed, then you just click 'Create a new Connection' and follow the screens. It'll ask you if you want share an internet connection and set it up for you. If a Local Area Connection is all ready setup and you want to modify it, right click on it and open up the properties. For the host, go to the advanced tab and click the 'allow internet sharing box'. For the client, open up the TCP/IP properties under the general tab and put the host's IP address into the Default Gateway box.

It's much easier to just create a new connection and have everything set up automatically tho.

Advertisement