Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iqcl admins - proxies

Options
  • 23-11-1998 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

can we use proxies if we have all low ping players and need some of them to play with high pings?

ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

since the whole area of this "ping upping" is a bit topical, I have made a personal solution...
    Some of the opposition may have modem players on 100 pings, and the LPB's could say "what if" etc...

I think it would be reasonable to order the LPB's to be raising the pings in question to set their ping to the average of the opponent's HPB ping...

H-K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

A better idea is to get the LPBs to up their pings to a fixed number like say 150 with 5% pl - this is a lot easier to do than taking the other teams pings, dividing by X etc.

In Qizmo, use (I think):

.lag 100 0 5

to add 100 ping and 5% pl to an otherwise 50 ping LPB - this would be fairly representative of the average HPB don't you think? If not, send in a list of your average pings and we can agree on a number.

Or even try something like

.lag 0 33000 0

to simulate a 33k modem. I will do a bit of testing on this. Of course, the other problem is that Qizmo disconnects you after 15 minutes, but I'm sure we can get people to reconnect and scores will still be taken into account (even if they do lose their weapons at the time, maybe best to disconnect when you've got nothing around the 10 minute mark).

I think something like that is fairest - so if a LPB/ISDN guy has 70 ping, they'd probably do something like .lag 80 0 5.

John.
    --

The reason I say 150 and a bit of PL is that this is a good bit above the recommended 120, and we don't want players being counted as HPBs if they have a ping of 121 now do we?!

John.
    --

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If we are talking about pings then lets be
    exact about it.

I understand the rules to be that even if the person gets sub 120 ping, so long as he is on a modem he's a hpb (ie ppl with pace modems etc). It would appear that ppl want lpbs to up their ping to about 150 (no argument here) but WHY then do we have this 120 ping mark? it seems to do nothing...

Secondly, ppl are talking about adding lag onto LPBs to get them up to the 150 point.
    Exactly WHAT are we adding this to? The ping at rest? The ping alone on the server? In a corridor? In the dark?
    I'm on isdn, which fair enough has been identified as LPB, but I'm also subject to HPB ills. PL can be just as bad, and if the server is ****e, then there's naught you can really do to it. I get about 80 ping at rest, but usually it goes to about 100 during the game. If the server is really well managed I can get that down to 60 at rest and 80/90 during game. However, ppl will still identify isdn with the lpbs, who have a 50ms lower ping from a decent college connect (not that they even get them I can tell you from UL!)
    If we're going down this particularly unpleasant road, then what about hobbling PCs.

Thats right, I have a program that can turn you machine into anything from a PII monster to a 386. So lets standardise on a processor... lets say my beloved and well known p120 and we'll have everyone play on simulated P120s! If someone can give me a valid reason why we equalise pings and not machines I'd be interested in hearing it.

Ok, enough *****ing and unconstructive sarcasm, whats my golden solution?

Well thinking about it, a minimum team ping would have been a good solution. Ie you team must ping over 400 (say) in total, regardless of how you achieve that. It may be too late for this kind of radical thinking but frankly I'm tired of falling into the LPB/HPB tunnel vision. Quake isnt a fair game. I ran QP to try and equalise as much as possible but its never going to be fair, and its just a game.

The festering ramblings of a grump old man.

DeVore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

heh grump old man :)

i think its fair to draw the line at 150 with 5 ploss.

I play from galway with a minimum on 250 ping , playing on a p75 with an average of 15 FPS in a war.

I mean a person with a 150 ping is an LPB as far as i'm concerned...but we cant call them LPB's, we gotta draw the line....these lines are always unfair for those bordering the line, but, c'est la vie :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

What have I let Eddie talk me into ;PPP

The official word will be out on Wednesday AFTER the meeting we (the admins) are having.
    Don't go emailing all kinds of solutions to me - I think we've heard probably every valid arguement for and against.

DON'T PANIC PEOPLE!!!

Dav

My 2eurocents worth.

IQCL rules:

http://iqcl.quake.ie/qiqcl.bhtml?page=iqclrules
    Proxy Timers, Enemy Reporting and Water Vis will be OFF and Map Checking ON on servers.

So it seems proxies are allowed as long as you don't use them for timing or enemy reporting (in fact you WON'T be able to use the proxy for timing or enemy reporting as that will be disabled on the server).

Proxy FAQ:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~softech/faq.htm
    serverinfo fpd 34
    2 poweruptimers
    32 %e reporting (only shows x)

So, the question is, can we use the proxies for lag introduction, or do the proxies still support it (can't see it in the information sheets myself, but it was used in the Finnish Allied Quakers' version)? Seems reasonable enough for the college clans to use it to create HPBs as long as they don't just up their pings to 121, they should use the proper arguments to emulate a 33k or 56k modem, packetloss and all.

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

Cmon ya pansies you WANT to play Clan [BEAR] dont you? :)

match results: BEAR 1 WORLD 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Firestarter

The finger thing means the taxes!!!

lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kaile

Oh my god...the PTA is DISBANDING!

*Crash*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

POXY LAG! POXY TIMERS! POXY PACKET LOSS! POXY p1 75's! AAAAAAAAAAAAH POX!

ya ****in poodles.

Advertisement