Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

random gamecube questions

Options
  • 13-06-2003 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Ahh, ive just bought a nice shiny new silver gamecube and zelda. and its just lurrrvly.

now onto the questions....

Freeloader: my tv will play the pal60 zelda64 remakes that come with zelda in colour but will not play ntsc or pal60 games on my ps2 or psx in colour. will freeloader play animal crossing (or any other games for that matter)in colour if i get it?

and what aother games do i get? there are so feckin many good ones i just cant decide? eternal darkness? mario sunshine, ikaruga, resident evil 0 and 1? metroid prime? super monkey ball, pikmin, starfox adventures, luigi's mansion? decisions decisions decisions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Mario Sunshine, Pikmin and Eternal Darkness are all terribly over-rated. Good games, but not worth throwing kids against walls for. Unless, y'know, you throw kids against walls anyway.

Super Monkey Ball, Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros Melee are what would happen if you turned a loving and fulfilling relationship with a fantastically kinky sex life into a small optical disc. Buy them now! Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

if you're thinking of getting one of the resident evil games, go for the remake of the original, 0 is still good, but not as good

another great game ont mentioned is wave race blue storm, all those lovely water effects, but like TheAlmightyArse said go buy smash bros and metroid prime right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I can vouch for Metroid Prime being just SUPER MEGA FUNKY GOOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Okay, these are the ONLY games you need on GC:
    Resident Evil (as far as survival horror goes, its the best one yet made, way better than ED)
    Mario Sunshine (Nintendo gaming goodness at its best, and the best platformer on GC)
    Metroid Prime (do i even need to tell you this is the best game yet made??)
    Zelda: The wind waker ('Nuff said)
    Thats all i can think of...Timesplitters 2 was a bit crap unless you have 3 mates with GC controllers to play deathmatches..i finished it in a week, and none of my friends have GC's and ive only one controller..it gathered dust after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All good games mentioned above are 20 blips 2nd hand in GAme in liffey valley.

I got Pikmin ,Eternal Darkness , Mario and timesplitters for €90 :D

Mario is awesome dunno how anyone cant like it ,its like Mario 64 with a twist ,everything about it screams quality.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

jebus, i was up till 3am plaing zelda and now im late for work :)

reminds me of when i took a whole week off school to finish zelda64

ill just get all the games.

i still dont get the pal60 working on the gc but not on the ps2 though?

I bought my GC for Zelda and then my bro gave me a lend of about 15 games havent touched Zelda yet must finish Mario 1st.
    I have a problem serious if an ad break comes on tv im playing Mario.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'd agree with much of what has been said already, I've got all the really good games on the cube, the ones I'd recommend getting first are probably Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime.

Err, off topic here but has anyone else that's played Zelda noticed
    the descrption on the figurine of the figurine making guy? It's something like " Lately the figurine shop's membership has been decreasing because they haven't been doing anything "cool", but as long as you keep coming it will be alright".
    I thought that was a nice little reference to Nintendo's current situation....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With regards to your 60hz problem, I have the same problem as well. My tv will run 60hz games and imports when using an anologue input to the tv, but won't work with a digital scart input. Import games should work grand if you use the analogue cable that came with the cube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Regarding the 60hz zelda bonus disc, My T.V isnt 60Hz. Ive tried playing loads of games on it in 60Hz, and they dont work.
    But for some strange reason, every game on the GC works in 60Hz mode on my T.V. Its a big T.v, like 32 inches, but about 10+ years old...just wondering if anyone else had the same experience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

mario sunshine rules, not quite as good as mario 64 but its probably the second best gamecube game after zelda.

DO NOT under any circumstances buy starfox adventures, its absolute rubbish, and steals just about everything from zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i can recommend super mario sunshine, luigi's mansion (although it's a bit short) and bomberman generation: really good fun especially the muliplayer battles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Bomberman Generation is rubbish! Granted, multiplayer is great, but it's also identical to any other Bomberman you care to mention. And the single player consists of... walking. And then perhaps blowing something up. And then walking around an enemy. And then walking a bit more. And then repeating for a further ten minutes until you finish the level and discover that the next one's exactly the same.

Sega Soccer Slam is far better than it looks, by the by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

eternal darkness is terribley under-rated, i bought it and can safely say its one of my 3 favourite gc games. metroid prime rocks too. and if youve already got free loader, import winning eleven 6 final evolution, best footy game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Viewtiful Joe is just sublime. Mostly in English too so its very import friendly.

Ikaruga, Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2 and Burnout 2 are all excellent as well.

And Fzero is out at the end of the month. From the makers of Daytona, need I say more?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

why hasn't anyone mentioned Rouge Squadron as being a top game

Haven't played it myself but at £15 on play.com, tempted

Is it worth the outlay????

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I picked that up in game for €20 2nd hand. 1st level seems quite good but borrowed Metroid and umm Space Pirates must die 1st.

Only got the cube about 2 months ago have 20 somfin games for it and trying to comeplte them one by one (Zelda and Mario only ones completed).
    I seriously have to stop buying the damn things.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've just gotten zelda recently, pleasantly surprised to see the bonus disk is still available (what was all the rush about?) and I'm playing ocarina of time first cause I've never played that before, havent looked at wind waker yet. I didn't expect to the game to be this challenging, its bloody difficult.

I'm spooging my boxers off in anticipation of F-zero. It looks just amazing, I think I'll pre-order it off play fairly soon. I want to get my hands on Ikaruga, Soul Calibur 2 and Animal Crossing aswell. So many bloody games.

Regarding Rogue leader, its really good and if you're a star wars fan you'll lurve it. Veeeerrryyy hard though. Impossible to get all the gold medals. (without being a sneaky cheating muppet)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I bought super mario sunshine AND starfox adventures. i dont play either, they annoy me.

Super Smash Bros my fave game on the gamecube. Havent played Zelda yet but ocarina of time was my fave game ever so cant wait.

Is Metroid really all that? usually im disppointed at shoot em ups - I thought halflife was crap, but especially on consoles as im so used to using a mouse and keyboard for counterstrike where youve a lot more control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Metroid Prime is indeed all that, GIRLFRIEND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Swifty

indeed.

it is a crime to think of metroid prime in terms of a pc fps because it so unlike one it would be safe to compare it to age of empires because it is so far removed. it plays exacty like super metroid only in first person. the leap it takes from its peers is like what happened when half life appeard first and we had all been playing the sterile one player quake 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Super Monkey Ball and it's sequel are quite possibly my favourite games of all time.

Originally posted by Swifty

Ditto ,4am last night was still fighting Thardus ,OMG he is hard (tee hee pun intended) kinda had him sussed but twas late ,will get him tonight.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Metroid Prime.... my god that's a good game. I still haven't finished the last boss... quite like the idea that it's just sitting there, laughing at me still after all these months.... it thinks its got away.. but I'm just biding my time.... muwuhahaha.

about the 60hz thing.. I don't think my television actually supports it (its relitivly new, but small and cheap (Beko)), but it runs them alright.. only with the image stretched a bit verticaly.

I'm just using whatever leads came with the machine (is it worth getting the extra one?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Omg, How the hell can any of you actually like metroid prime, All u do is walk around tunnels, tunnels, tunnels and the odd jungle. The Control system is clunky, like u have to hold a button to strafe wut the hell! The graphics fair enough are good, same with boss battles but running into the same Bad guys like those lil feckin bettles that hop out the ground is annoying as ****. After u beat a boss u dont know wut the hell ur supposed to do next, ok a lil radar thing pops up to show u where to go, how bout tellin us how to get there. Best id give this game is a 6/10 for the graphics and good bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Stormfox, have you actually sat down and played the game for any length of time? the controls are perfect imho. Far and away the best for any console first person game I have played.

...and apart from that; your just plain wrong.

I do miss being able to strafe at will , i get hit when in naother game i would be able to dodge (the sentry drones in the dark impossible to not get hit) , thats my only gripe.

Otherwise one of the best games i have ever played tho wouldnt call it an FPS as such as you dont really have to aim at anything that targetting does it for you.
    Superb game and i cant wait to play it later (that to me means a good game).

Been thinking about Rock dude all day and should wax him later.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Yea Ive completed the game, Its just so repeditive, walking throught the same corridors all over and over again, the Cannons blow except the phanzon but u only get that at the very end, and the visors suck 2. I dont think im wrong but everyones entitled to there own oppinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

tbh, it's probably the best game i've got, i'm playing it on hard mode now, 40% through, and its very rarely i'd play a game through twice. some people can't get the controls though. i know a guy who couldn't get the hang of it and ended up playing it for about 10 minutes. but the majority verdict is the game kicks ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i dunno, i got metroid prime yesterday and played it for all of 10 minutes and found myself turning it off and going back to rogue squadron 2 (new to gamecube so just catching up), just didnt grab me at all to be honest, ill have a blast again later on but i can see a trade coming on in the not so distant future but ye never know

shin

Advertisement