Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Rate Internet

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Jason01

I agree with the people who say that the 180 (or whatever) hours per month FRIACO package that will be offered in Ireland is very disapointing.

I really thought it would be a 24/7 flat rate offering like the UK.

When I lived in the UK, I had a FRIACO package (and yes, it was FRIACO) where it was advertised as a 24/7 flat rate package. Paid my £14.99 a month and no more. OK, I certainly didn't use it 24/7 but I reckon I used it for about 300 hours per month. It did cut me off after 2 hours but you can just re-connect straight away. There was never any limit on how many hours I could be online for.

It seems that with the new offerings which will be launched in Ireland after 27th June, they are not really FLAT RATE, because if a person went over the maximum limit of hours online, they will pay extra on top of their monthly fee.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Jason01
    When I lived in the UK, I had a FRIACO package (and yes, it was FRIACO) where it was advertised as a 24/7 flat rate package. Paid my £14.99 a month and no more. OK, I certainly didn't use it 24/7 but I reckon I used it for about 300 hours per month. It did cut me off after 2 hours but you can just re-connect straight away. There was never any limit on how many hours I could be online for.
    That's what I'd like to see. Not necessarily always on, but without a specific time allowance. This would be the approach taken by Freeserve. There was a thread on this a while ago at the invitation of UTV Internet. Not everyone agreed with this approach, with some suggesting a tiered product with different pricings depending on how much you intended to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

That's what I'd like to see

Unfortunatly.. if its unspecified 24/7 you will run into the same problem as esat users that where cut off, where abusers of the service will be deemed not to be using it in the spirit of what the service is, and if this is the case then, even if it was true 24/7 there would be a unspecified limits of usage which then advocates there is no 24/7 service.

Setting limits lets the user know where they stand on usage, and sure, you can use it 24/7 upto that limit.

for the life of me.. :rolleyes: i cannot understant how people cannot grasp! the difference between a dialup service and a broadband one, which by the way.. also "has limits" within your 24/7 access after which you do pay more in excess of your allowance.
    So why should anyone expect dial up to offer you more!? than broadband!?

Yes we would all like a service that is eat as much as you can chew but lets get realistic here, the world or at leas ireland is not made this way.
    :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Unfortunatly.. if its unspecified 24/7 you will run into the same problem as esat users that where cut off, where abusers of the service will be deemed not to be using it in the spirit of what the service is, and if this is the case then, even if it was true 24/7 there would be a unspecified limits of usage which then advocates there is no 24/7 service.
    A number of problems with the Esat thing. 1. Esat were the only provider of flat rate at that time. When people were kicked off, they were back to full blown metered internet in all its glory. 2. Esat handled the whole thing in a disgraceful way. 3. The product was quite expensive for the time and did not attract light users. 5. The product placed heavy emphasis on unlimited use in its advertising and called itself "nolimits". 6. There no cut off period implemented even after they said they would implement one.

Plenty of mistakes to learn from.

Advertisement