Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk scimitar

Options
  • 14-06-2003 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

The romulan scimitar class.........

what do people thing about it ? was it not worth the trouble to build? will it be the next "romulan warbird"

i personaly thing it was a good use of resources after all she beat 3 valdour class warbird and a sov class fed ship (the scimitar would have won) It would take at lest 2-3 sov class warships to beat a scimitar class Truely Amazeing.

The romulans would be stupid not to build them in number,s (have to take of that "planet killer" weapion though) they would nearly over night become as powerful as the Federasion (at lest for a while):D

what do you lot thing of the scimitar class and its weapions etc ? what will the future hold for the romulans ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the scimitar was a class ship but i don't think they could build them in numbers to be honest to draining on resources and they wouldn't really be required for much, for general running of the empire that new valdour class warbirds and the older d'deridex models would be more then sufficient, no doubt they would rather have hundreds/thousands of those then a few precious scimitars, also for war itself i think the jem hadar showed successfully that there is strength in numbers and also in having smaller more maneouverable (sp?) ships, (recall the suicide attacks taking out that galaxy class in the episode the search i think it was the odysessy or something). Saying that though the jem hadar had there big ships also. However unless the romulans could easily build as many of them as the warbirds and as economically i would stick with the smaller ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i do remember that galaxy class being destroyed by the jem hdar .................... brought back bad memorys of the E-D being destroyed :eek:

anyway the valdor isnt a good ship (look how fast the 2 valdor,s where destroyed compeared to the sovy

plus the warbird isnt what your would cause easy to build being over 1200 meter,s long over 700 meters wide and 300 meters high:eek: .

SOOOOOO if they scraped or toned down the warbird production they could belt out a fair few MUCH more powerful scimitar,s which can easly beat the sov class (something either the Warbird or Valdor cant do) .

Although i would guess the FED would just build a bigger better more powerful ship then just build more of them that the romulans ever could theirfore keeping the powerblance...........................But the romulans would be far more powerful that the klingons cardys breen etc etc etc.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well i would have thought the remans would have more inside knowledge so to speak on the romulan ships (which the romulans would not have had on them) which would have aided in there swift defeat, also as so many things in life :) size doesn't matter was was illustrated in the other thread about the comparision of the defiant with the E-E and while one can say that the E-E is for exploration that is fair enough, however, as mentioned in the film the scimitar is a predator a warship not something the federation builds typically, i think it would be cheaper (resource wise and man power) for the federation if going down the warship route to build a few defiants and kick some serious scimitar ass with there maneourability.

promitous (sp) class ships would be far far far better than the difent seeming it is much larger and more powerful (nearly as powerful as a SOV class while only being 1/4 the weight).

the fed is moveing toword,s smaller ship,s not bigger one,s but their has to be a limit to the size a "explorer/warship" can be in and around 3-4 million ton compeared to the Promitous (SP) class 850,000 ton :cool:

BUT the point is a large fleet of difents compeared to a large sov/promitous fleet would be far far less usefull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I dont think the Romulans would build a fleet of these ships, kinda like Japan in ww2 and the Yamato Class Battleship,sure it was the biggest thing around, and hardly anything could touch it, but it just was too big, and i think the same with the scimitar Class, that it would use up too many resources. Besides, if you think about it, Kinda building a Fleet of these, like the Romulan Warbirds at Present could be dangerous, look at the Uss Odysessy,when the Dominion ships could use their weapons to cut through the Odysessys shileds, and also ram into it causing it to be lost.
    That type of attact on a fleet of Scimitars would be devestating on the Romulan war effort.

• Advertisement

the yamato was built at a time when battleship,s where no longer important it not a fair comparasion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

you misunderstand ,I mean the Although the Yamato ,was huge, and could beat any other battleship, if it was lost it would be a blow to the war effort ,its like the recources to build a Scimitar ,if a fleet of them were to be lost/defeated it would be a huge blow to any war effort of the Romulans because of the amount of resources involved in building them.Like the Yamato Class Battleship, when they were lost it was a huge blow to Japans war effort, they held them back in reserve because they were too valueable to waste,because of the resources invovled in building them.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i get ya ......... ya that,s a very good point ;)

but does anyone know how much a scimitar weigh?

i know a sov class weighs around 3,5 million ton
    and a galaxy weighs 4,5 million

the scimitar itself isnt massive its the wing,s that make it look that way with out that "mass killing" weapion they could tone down the wing,s id say

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

I would think that the Romulans would regard the Scimtar as an indulgence of Shinzon and not emulate it. Most navies (in both the fictional and real worlds) work best with a range of different shops for different roles, not putting their eggs in one basket with one model of massive ship. As the Battle of the Omarion Nebula showed,the Romulans could have done with a smaller, more flexible patrol class ship that could mix it with opponents like the Jem'hadar fighter and the klingon Bird of Prey and that could act a screen for the large ships.
    The fact that Shinzon soon disabled them so quickly is'nt necessarily a sign of the inferiority of the Valdore. Remember he was a great tactician,he had an immensely stronger ship and as the Romulan leader he must have known the Valdores intimately. That said,those large 'wings' look look weak and superfluous, a definite flaw.

Advertisement