Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your REGRETS regarding your subject choices?

Options
  • 14-06-2003 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Mine are chemistry, and physics because of the terrible teacher that I got.

What are yours? (this could also stand as advice for future leaving-certers who don't know what subjects to choose - don't forget: you can change your subjects after up to 2 weeks of being in 5th year - i'm sure it's more in some schools)

Which subject do you most regret choosing to study for the Leaving Cert? 32 votes

Business
    0% 0 votes
    Economics
    12% 4 votes
    Accounting
    3% 1 vote
    Physics
    6% 2 votes
    Chemistry
    21% 7 votes
    Biology
    25% 8 votes
    History
    12% 4 votes
    Geography
    6% 2 votes
    Home Economics
    12% 4 votes
    Art
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Regrets.... Hrm... having done honours maths until the mocks..... The fact that it took me so long to realise what a waste of time it is.... to see people close to tears coming out of their exams having missed out on the A1 after having put at least twice as much work into it as any other subject.... </rant>

lol, I did home economics for a week too.. :D I suppose that's a regret....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

phyix but onl coz of the crap teacher....god r they mandatory in that subject or summat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Distinct lack of evil bloody ****ing hope it burns in hell french :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Duffman
    Regrets.... Hrm... having done honours maths until the mocks..... The fact that it took me so long to realise what a waste of time it is.... to see people close to tears coming out of their exams having missed out on the A1 after having put at least twice as much work into it as any other subject.... </rant>

That is the biggest lie I have ever heard :p That never happened and you know it didn't, you've been sucked in my the media hype.

I so regret doing Geography and not Economics :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I regret taking all three sciences!

I'd dump physics for classics, maybe chem if I felt like being a bum and doing economics aswell :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

hey!
    im going into 5th yr in september and the subjects i have picked are biology,business and home ec- just wondering what ye think of those subjects? i would also appreciate comments on the other subjects too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I regreted doing Chemistry and the fact that the way the school organised the subjects i had to choose between History(my then fav subject) and german(my only language)

i was gonna do chemistry instead of business but now after doin the j.c the chemistry was feckin deadly so i think that answered my question for me and it can only get harder in l.c, im still not sure about the business though........ne comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

omg classics, crap teacher makes what could have been an interesting subject soooo boring, and the whole so much stuff aspect, 4 emperors lives, 2 epic poems, 3 plays and ****loads of art and architecture, and i dont even understand the book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

firstly you should probably post this elsewhere infact i think there is already a thread asking for LC choices advice

however you should be business most people found it easy as it is mostly common sense and the people who didnt pick it regretted it afterwards

Originally posted by Seraphina
    omg classics, crap teacher makes what could have been an interesting subject soooo boring, and the whole so much stuff aspect, 4 emperors lives, 2 epic poems, 3 plays and ****loads of art and architecture, and i dont even understand the book.

'tis a pity... it really is a great subject if it's taught well...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Doing Physics (because of our terrible teacher) rather than going for Geography, in which the entire class did absolutely nothing after Christmas in 5th year.
    :mad:

Originally posted by Duffman
    'tis a pity... it really is a great subject if it's taught well...

i KNOW thats whats so annoying, the teacher turned something im actually really interested in into something i loathe!

Im kicking myself having picked physics over an easy A1 in economics :(

Originally posted by Seraphina
    i im actually really interesting !

Are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Not doing a ninth subject, it would have been accounting or bio, but instead I just spent my time being a waster
    Oh well

Originally posted by SOL
    Not doing a ninth subject, it would have been accounting or bio, but instead I just spent my time being a waster
    Oh well

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

I regret wasting 3 years of my life being forced to learn about "classic" literature and poetry.
    AH well on the bright side ill never have to worry about it anymore!

Originally posted by CuLT
    NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURD!

Quick cult, you get the fire, I'll get the pointy sticks.

• Advertisement

Damn Straight ;) .

Originally posted by Sangre
    Are you now?

shup! typo :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I chose Geography, business, history and german which to be honest were the right choices in retrospect. I did physics for a week but quickly switched to geography, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Zachary Taylor

I regret choosing French which I think isn't on the list, purely because my teacher is (was!) a jackass and I could have been doing Geography, although I did get to watch a lot of French films over the two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 romey

ugh! if i had a time machine i would go back to the day i chose history for the leaving and kick myself (literally) i mean why oh why! i had the same teacher for 6 years and iv leant more from my goldfish in that time! ugh! hmm to think of it forget my stupid leaving cert choices if i had a time machine id go back to the sixties and boogie with the beatles!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dosser

Biology and Chemistry but biology especially.
    What was I thinking?
    Well, I thought it would help me in my later job of biological scientist.
    What another great lie THAT turned out to be.

why didnt you like biology?-its just that i have picked it for 5yr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Im kicking myself having picked physics over an easy A1 in economics

In fairness Jabba. Its not that easy to get an A1 in economics. Granted its a grand subject but you have to be really precise about it. Theres about 35 diagrams that all look practically the same. You have one line crossing the wrong curve and its a completely different diagram.

Also theres around 200 odd definitions to learn any of which could come up in section A which is worth a whopping 25%

That said it is a hell of alot easier than physics(thank feck i left that for business best decision ive ever made)

Yeah, but in our school 18 people out of 20 got an A in economics.

i.e jabba's school aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I never said it wasnt easy to do well in, just that getting an A1 can be hard. Just cause you have to be very precise. Most of the results in my school were between 80 and 90%(myself included). Think there was only 1 A1 as far as i know.

Advertisement