Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"the 25 dumbest moments in gaming history"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭neohoki

i just posted that up i know but its funny becuase i wanted to say s.n.i.g.g.e.r but it seems to have been censored :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Brilliant! Good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by neohoki
    Of course i was one of those fools who bought a saturn :( oh well.....

I remember lots of great reason to own a Saturn but the PSX did destroy it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They included in their top 25 an interview with one of the Atari execs that was supposed to be really bad. Well, I went and read the interview yesterday and have to say that he didn't come off that badly in my eyes.

Admittedly there were some glaring gaffs (price of the Playstation - $500!?!) but overall I felt he was saying anything a guy in his position would say - we have faith in our system, we think our systems great, we're not sure the other systems are so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Good one neohoki, looks like your going to turn into a real hardcore board'ser :p your doing pretty ok so far, good link :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    Admittedly there were some glaring gaffs (price of the Playstation - $500!?!)
    i remember it being at least £300 sterling on launch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭neohoki

I think i paid £400 for saturn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If you were an importer the Saturn ruled. The PAL Saturn however sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

i got a loan of a saturn with about 30 games, and its useless... i went back to my n64 in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i got a loan of a saturn with a load of game, all of them except virtua fighter 1 & 2 were too scratched to play tho:(
    it was a decent console, shame it didn't succeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i loved my saturn but hated sega's marketing in europe :( i got some import game which were excelent wish i could have afforded more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

rofl at 23! thats a great list!

About the saturn, it was an OK console, had its high points. Virtual Fighter, Seag Rally, and the early Virtua Racing were all superb at the time, especially Virtual Fighter. It just lacked the marketing to get any serious third party development that could sustain the console. Then when the PSX gets big the saturn is just drowned by the hoards of new PS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The only reason Sony is leading the field is there excellent ability to market products!!! Thats the only reason, they appeal to thelowest common denominator and the realease yearly sequels to these same people. The Dreamcast (care not to say Saturn you notice), the N64 and the Gamecube are all better gaming systems that comparable Sony Systems. The Dreamcast is far better than the PSone and nearly as good as the PS2, when I say good I mean graphical abilities). The N64 was just delayed too much, and the Gamecube has been blitzed by the endless pot of money Sony and Microsoft has. Mind you, the appeal of both Playstations is amount of games available for them.

To prove the point, take the best games for each genre available for each of the 32 bit, 64 bit and 128 bit. I guarantee you that the best games on the Sony consoles with not be as good as those on the Sega or Nintendo systems. Tekken Vs Virtua Figher(Saturn) or Tekken 3 Vs Soul Calibur(Dreamcast) are the perfect examples. Both piss on the Tekken series. I wont even mention Mario 64, Shenmue, Daytona, Halo, Mario Kart. Before anyone mentiond Gran Turismo though, I accept it is the best Driving game ever.

A point no one has made though is that the Saturn was developed mainly as a 2D platform, Sony totally took Sega by surprise when they showcased the PSX's 3D capabilities.

Sega did not expect such a move by any competiror, initially the Saturn was developed to solely provide 2D based graphics, so the Saturn was then modified before release to include a second processor to allow for decent Polygon counts. This second processor proved the downfall of the Saturn however, as it was a nightmare to develop for. Mind you, the Japs loved it, their love of platform, shooters and RPG's was satisfied by the Saturn.

Sorry if I ranted but I have a major problem with Sony's dumbing down of the games industry.

Advertisement