Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker "rattling"

Options
  • 14-06-2003 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

One of my speakers makes a sort of rattling noise at certain moments of audio playback (regardless of input - wav/linein etc). It's not the sound card or woofer box (switched speaker connections but it's the same one making the noise).

The closest I can liken it to is like putting a sheet of paper in front of it and it making noise.

Is it kaput or should I try open it up to check for something?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I can only comment based on similar problems I've had with hi-fi speakers over the years. It's down to a poorly/designed poorly constructed part of the speaker vibrating whenever the driver produces its 'resonant frequency'.

Certain materials, of certain dimensions resonate at given wavelengths/frequencies of sound. The only way to prevent it is to identify/isolate the portion of the speaker that is resonating and damp it. The best way to achieve this in an acoustic enclosure (without affecting the sonic properties) is to wedge rockwool in there. You can get rockwool cheaply from pet shops as it is used in aquarium filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Can you get at the screws/bolts mounting the speaker to the cabinet? try tightening them all a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Forgot to mention, it didn't used to happen before (they're about three years now) They're the Boston Acoustics slimline speakers.

Anyway, will try opening it up see what's up. Just wondering maybe I blasted them too loud once?

It is what it's.

Advertisement