Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCHP server software ?

Options
  • 15-06-2003 12:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a small freeware DHCP server program to run on windows 98..

The few I've found have been pretty bad - incorrect subnet masks given to clinets or like ICS seem to have hardcoded IP ranges. (though in fairness windows is a bit iffy as an RFC compliant DHCP client)

At present it looks like having an extra PC running Linux to do this....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Have you tried compiling the one that is on the linux box under MinGW, if not, maybe I can try for you.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GUI_XP

sygate office network!!!
    the works

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://smb.sygate.com/buy/son_pricing.htm $109 - 5 users
    I can get a hardware router with DHCP built in for €75 + VAT ....

The reason for using 98 is that it is nearly free.
    Thanks to m$'s non-transferrable license most branded machines have a license for 98 or better :) and 98 is well known and it's very easy to clone drives (just xcopy & then sys !) or transfer to another machine - even by newbies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Have a look at http://www.janaserver.de
    It will run on Win98

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Buy a cheap router.
    You can get them in places like maplin for about 90-120 euro.:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For private use, schools, non-profit organisations etc. JanaServer 2 remains "Freeware". :)

Now for some testing....

http://www.janaserver.de - has ftp / smtp / dns / proxy - everything except DHCP
    I'm trying to build a 98 CD that can be loaded on to any machine.
    NT / 2K / XP blue screen if you don't use the original IDE controller and besided most machines already have a 98 license...

This is the sort of thing I am looking for
    FREE
    DHCP Server
    Runs on Windows - ie any muppet can set it up.

"Please remember that this is a static DHCP server. It can assign IP addresses only to clients that are configured on your server machine" - so still not there - though it now seems to have an autoconfig option....

More Work needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

knoppix?

;sample config if you are interested for 50 IP's in 10.0.0.0

[General]
    SUBNETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ;can add up to 9 DNS / Routers (clients will ignore later ones)
    ROUTER_1=10.0.0.9
    DNS_1=10.0.0.2
    ;DNS_2=207.172.3.9
    ;DNS_3=207.172.3.10
    NODETYPE=8 ; Hybrid
    DOMAINNAME=MyDomain

;If you want to do static IP's use the MAC
    ; can also add DNS / Routers here too
    ;[00-A0-D1-00-00-00]
    ;IPADDR=10.0.0.27

[Settings]
    IPPOOL_1=10.0.0.200-250
    Trace=1

; New in version 1.4
    ; IPBIND_0 ... IPBIND_9
    ;If you have > 1 NIC in your "server"
    ;you choose which one gives out IP addresses
    ;IPBIND_1=194.168.123.132

; 1 = just keep quiet on unknown clients
    ; 0 = decline requests from unknown clients
    IgnoreUnknownClients=0

;ie - don't install as service
    InstallAsService=2

• Advertisement

Knoppix - this is the 3rd time I'm trying to download all 733,317,120 bytes of
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso
    PC keeps crashing :(

But Knoppix is an excellent DHCP client ;) - Had thought about a network just using Knoppix where the if it don't get a DHCP response it becomes a DHCP server itself - ( perhaps could use tcpdump to ID existing local settings )

Knoppix is freaky - Stick it in a desktop / notebook / poweredge with scsi raid controller - detects hardware volia - GUI with all the apps you could wish for - (ok you don't the gui if you only have 32MB ram on a p166 - but it still booted to the console - given all the trouble I've had with windows drivers this is freaky..

Big time freaky - take out HDD - boot from CD - grab coffee - come back and you are in a browser - muppet proof public internet access PC ...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

NT / 2K / XP blue screen if you don't use the original IDE controller

Off topic a bit but...i can't recall the 2k image we have ever blue screening on us. Used in variety of old/new dell pc's and laptops and a variety of ibm thinkpads.
    It did in its initial development stage when the the image was off our newest pc but once it was off the oldest one it seemed fine.

We also specified a load of additional controllers sysprep inf file which presumably did no harm.

Prob not much use to you but anyways.

_____
    C.

Tried it myself - and gave up 'cos could not figure it out..

Thanks in advance :)

Lots of ewe nicks people will be upset now.

On the laptop I'm using Knoppix with a wireless card - and the windows 98 machine is handing out IP's & acting as a router - who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

no probs..be monday though. when i'm back in work. :(

Buy OEM XP preinstalled, and rollout 2K over the top...

User: I'm having this problem..

Me: By the time you come back from coffee break, we'll have replaced all the SW on your machine - if the install fails we know it's hardware - it not it's user error and only fix is to replace you.

User: It's a bit early for coffee, and don't I need to save my ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!! *

Me: Milk with no sugar please...

*edit Boot.ini then remote shutdown - PC dual boots into 98 - autoexec starts the cloning proceess from image on 2nd partition.
    :D

I know that one!! I hear a baseball bat levelled at the user's head can help them on their way!

And as for saving anything

Me: Have you anything saved locally*(general policy on not doing this for exactly this type of situation) on the pc?

User : No.

Pc imaged and working fine and dandy. Then

Ring Ring..
    User : I can't seem to find those important(to the user anyway..i couldn't care less) files i was working on

Me : were where they?

User : On my C drive i think

With a supreme effort of will i resist the urge to call user every name under the sun...and hence lose my job.

*Found using bootable cd with image was handy, tho did have space restrictions. Or do multiple ones over the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Me: Have you anything saved locally*(general policy on not doing this for exactly this type of situation) on the pc?
    O.T., but let me away with it anyway please...

That one made me smile. In a previous job, there was a user who was usually more trouble than most. (There are always the few regular troublesome ones!)
    Alot of people were getting new machines so I needed to know that everyone's files were stored on their network home drives. With most people I could simply ask "Are all your docs on your home drive?" and believe them when they said yes. For some people though, you never ask a leading question if you want to get an answer you can count on. With this user, I asked where the docs were saved. "Dunno - on the computer I suppose" was the answer.
    Right - so I have a look at the machine, see the desktop full of pdfs, xls, docs etc. Explain what the desktop is, what the C drive is, how the desktop actually is the C drive. Remind the user of the policy of not saving anything to C drive or desktop. Get assurances that everything will be copied to network drive before lunchtime.
    After 5.30 that day, I replace the machine, but decide to check network drive first for the files that had been on the desktop. Don't see them, so create new folder called "Files from desktop" and copy all files before replacing machine. A few days later I get the call "where the hell are my files?". Explain that in case the user hadn't copied the files from the desktop, I took the precaution of copying them myself, and put them in a folder called "files from desktop" on the network drive. I was assured quite vehemently that that folder definitely wasn't there, so I went down four flights of stairs to have a look (beginning to think that I may have hallucinated copying those files for the user). Found the folder and all the files right where I said they would be. "Oh, well - I didn't actually look there - I just knew they weren't where they usually are!" was the answer.
    This didn't annoy me even slightly. It just helped me confirm who would be first against the wall if I ever decided to go postal.

Sysprep.inf if its any use to you.

Looks just like I'd imagined it...

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore :)
    OemSkipWelcome=1 :)
    InputLocale=0809:00000809 (Is 1809 an Irish Keyboard ?)

Vrefresh=60 (well I suppose it's just for setting up..)

=========================================

This is a reg file that I use to change the keyboard from factory installed US for when you want to use non-alphanumerics in the password on first bootup. (it's for NT4)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload]
    "1"="00001809"

• Advertisement
Advertisement