Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband, site updated?

Options
  • 15-06-2003 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I am a little out of the loop here so please bare with me. I was looking at NTLs site. More specifically its broadband section. A lot more details have appeared since I last saw it and it has the appearence of a widely available product. I'm presuming this is not the case, but am wondering what exactly is the current status? The unlimited cap sounds fantastic. Search won't let me search for 'ntl' because it has less than 4 characters.
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Apparently they're testing a new way of upgrading their broadband network at a fraction of what it originally cost. Think it was being trialled in Lucan?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94470&highlight=ntl%2A+lucan

Hopefully they'll keep on spreading...

(Spreading inwards I mean, towards Dublin City Center, you that place with a huge business and residential market, surely you do ntl?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think it still depends on two way grade cable. This is only installed in a few areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

In their faqs theys say which new areas will be covered. Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by vishal

Where does it say what new areas will be covered in the FAQ?

They say:
    "The rollout plan of our broadband internet service is currently only available in certain parts of West Dublin in and around the Dublin 24, 22, 16, 12, 6, 6W and Lucan areas."
    I know d22 wasn't covered before, don't know about the rest of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Originally posted by vishal

Ah, that's what I was looking for but couldn't find. Cheers. Oh well, will wait the 2 or so years I suppose.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

sw33t, Dublin 16, cable here i come!

Unless its just the same parts of D16 that it has been the last few years ;_; .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I'd imagine its still the same parts of D16 - the only new rollout that's been mentioned was lucan...

no dublin 22 (clondalkin) wasn't covered before or at least it wasn't on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The rollout plan of our broadband internet service is currently only available in certain parts of West Dublin in and around the Dublin 24, 22, 16, 12, 6, 6W and Lucan areas

A lot of even numbers there. *shock* :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There was a thread about this in the last month or so. I contacted someone I know within NTL and no D16 has not been upgraded any further than it has been for the last few years. The only new areas being upgraded is out around Lucan.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by gandalf
    The only new areas being upgraded is out around Lucan.
    Gandalf.

Apparently there is no need for upgrading in the same way it used to. Getting NTL cable broadband in the morning. Will report to the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This seems like NTL are just taking the orders as people ring in, and giving digital to anyone in Lucan who asks.

Is there anyone here who has/is (confirmed) getting NTL cable in Lucan, in an estate not listed in the original few, listed here. My estate is really new (built around the time of the original NTL upgrades in D16/6W), so I'd say the cable laid is already suited for digital, it's just a matter of being activated.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Regnak

Saw a lot of vans around the Lucan area last week. A flatmate's pal in an estate beside the Penny Hill pub got it a week or two ago. Got mailshot though the letterbox in Castle Riada estate - 2 offering, not much details, NTL 128 - equiv to ISDN speeds @ €30 / month & NTL 600 for €40 a month. No cap or exact speeds mentioned. Shocked to hear NTL rolling it out in the area only a month 1/2 after getting Eircom ADSL !! Darn ! Foiled again !

Regnak.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by gandalf
    There was a thread about this in the last month or so. I contacted someone I know within NTL and no D16 has not been upgraded any further than it has been for the last few years. The only new areas being upgraded is out around Lucan.

Gandalf.

Damn :( . Looks like ADSL for me... several months from now...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Originally posted by seamus
    ...Is there anyone here who has/is (confirmed) getting NTL cable in Lucan, in an estate not listed in the original few...

I'm in an estate called Rossberry. It's right beside Oldbridge (which IS mentioned on the list). I've been talking to a guy called Fergal in NTL and he's been told by the engineers that it should only be another fortnight for our estate to go "two-way". I haven't got any leaflets through the door about it yet though. I'll keep you posted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by seamus
    My estate is really new (built around the time of the original NTL upgrades in D16/6W), so I'd say the cable laid is already suited for digital, it's just a matter of being activated.

Can anyone shed more light on this?

:)

AFAIK, new estates would have cable that is capable of 2 way access but there needs to be a 2 way amp and other things fitted in the estate that allow for Cable internet access. NTL have figured out a way of doing this cheaper then before which is the reason for the Lucan trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by unkel
    Getting NTL cable broadband in the morning. Will report to the boards.

That was yesterday morning engineer fiddled about for an hour with cables and didn't get the cable modem to work. Apparently the signal on the line going into the house is too low - this could effect whole estate. Possible cause is damaged cable somewhere - could take weeks to repair.

Obviously I gave out hell to NTL, but that didn't seem to speed things up this time :mad:

Will give it maybe two weeks and if not sorted will get UTV DSL or competitor, still have to think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Originally posted by Regnak
    Saw a lot of vans around the Lucan area last week. A flatmate's pal in an estate beside the Penny Hill pub got it a week or two ago. Got mailshot though the letterbox in Castle Riada estate - 2 offering, not much details, NTL 128 - equiv to ISDN speeds @ €30 / month & NTL 600 for €40 a month. No cap or exact speeds mentioned. Shocked to hear NTL rolling it out in the area only a month 1/2 after getting Eircom ADSL !! Darn ! Foiled again !

Regnak.

There is no cap whatsoever. That's why I'm so damn interested :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

if NTL are successful in rolling out their cable internet service to all their franchise areas it will shake things up on the broadband front. Apart from limited wireless it would mean some serious competition for €ircon's monopoly on all things DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Originally posted by unkel
    Possible cause is damaged cable somewhere - could take weeks to repair.

Obviously I gave out hell to NTL, but that didn't seem to speed things up this time :mad:

At least it was implied that the cable would eventually be repaired/improved. With Eircom, as in my particular case, bad cabling means you are screwed, and its that simple.

It's a pity NTL on the whole went bust when they did. From what I was told back then, my area was just a couple of weeks from being upgraded. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Just noticed this on the NTL page:
    Quoted from NTL Cable Homepage
    Benefits of ntl's Always-On Broadband Internet service

CD quality sound

What the hell? NTL Broadband gives CD quality sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Serbian
    Just noticed this on the NTL page:

What the hell? NTL Broadband gives CD quality sound?
    Well, you should be able to stream audio at 300k+, this would give 'near' CD quality sound to the extent that only audio buffs would be able to tell the difference. Even 128k audio has been described as 'near CD' though many would take issue with that.

Advertisement