Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN again

Options
  • 15-06-2003 5:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Im fed up of the BB scam in this country now so I think ill go for ISDN until the caps become somewhat reasonable.
    I need a bit of advice.

What is ISDN (64k) like for gaming?

What about web browsing?

What is the best ISP for ISDN?

Is it a stable connection or will be dropped every 30mins?

Also I have checked out IOL UTVi and oceanfree websites to check out what the charges are for Isdn couldnt find anything about it.Do they have differrent sites or not offer it or what, Im a bit confused (I must be an idiot hhmmm).

Id be very grateful if anyone could help me.:D :D :ninja: :ninja: :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I really would wait for broadband. Isdn is fairly expensive.

Broadband capped at 4 or 5 gigs costs €54 at most for 512.
    Charge going up per meg after you have reached the cap.
    ISDN including VAT is the price of two line rentals plus all internet call charges for every second you are on line ie a fortune compared to any of the capped broadband offerings.
    As you'd be paying Eircom for that ISDN line rental, which is way more than broadband, before you even spend anytime on line or pay the call charges. why would you opt for ISDN if BB is available to you.
    Madness.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Ive basically just decided that Im not going to go for broadband unless they remove the cap or at least double it.I believe that broadband with a cap is not broadband (I know technically it is bandwith bla bla) I cant bring myself to do it were being screwed.

It is still good for games and thats the main thing.With CS you can download 30Mb per hour and a lot more with higher rates, then you add in map pack downloads and skin packs and updates and everyday internet usage and so on and hello 3c per MB.

Actually the reason I posted was to ask if there is any way around Eircom in getting ISDN my mind wandered and forgot to ask the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Chowley
    Actually the reason I posted was to ask if there is any way around Eircom in getting ISDN my mind wandered and forgot to ask the original question.

That'd be a no. Eircom come round to upgrade to ISDN and to install the new box. You can continue using any CPS you have (provided you advise the operator) but there is no way to get ISDN without eircom... You have to order the line thru eircom too, forgot to put that in.

thanks rymus.

will isdn go flatrate too along with the other dialup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

omg get dsl you nob. Its cheaper in the long run and you won't fill the cap just by playing cs and downloading some maps and sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    omg get dsl you nob. Its cheaper in the long run and you won't fill the cap just by playing cs and downloading some maps and sounds.

maybe chowley isnt in a DSL enabled area?

ISDN can be used on flat-rate services and that includes those funky new FRIACO offerings.

Seriously though, if you are capable of getting DSL I'd choose it over ISDN, both where cost and speed are concerned. Rental for ISDN alone is about 37 quid a month - thats DSL practically paid for. It could be another decade before DSL caps are removed (if eircom have anything to do with it)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

isdn is pants for playing online with, granted it's far better than 56k but not by a whole lot, at the end of the day id rather dsl with a cap then going back to isdn, even though im going for netsource, call me a fool :)

Taz looks like youll have a worse ping with netsource than with ISDN, but maybe theyll sort it.

The problem with ISDN is , delays.
    First I was told April by the Rat then June and now supposedly its September, Im sick of fiddling with rates in CS ahhhhh, so need something to keep me going and not being scared of €250 bills for going over the cap.I can really picture myself doing it, hhhmmmm, even though Im not a warez monkey or anything Im constantly changing my CS skins and models and getting custom maps, on 56k Im scared to think what Id be like with DSL, new model pack and map pack twice daily,lol.:D :D :ninja: :ninja:

Advertisement