Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People here are Never happy (myself incl)

• 15-06-2003 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I don't believe what i'm reading in boards about netsource.
    I too have a problem with high ping because i like to play online games.
    However, i don't belive people have the right to complain about others using a cap free servic like it is surprise surprise, a cap free broadband service.
    Netsource customers pay a premium for the capless service and so should be entitled to use it to its full extent.
    If people have a problem with pings then i suggest they move to a provider that will provide them with lower pings (i will).
    Also, i think its the minority of broadband users who use it to play online games.
    Another thing that gets on my tits are the fools that are now singing the praises of UTV internet broadband before hearing reports of how good the service is.
    Yes, i've read all the crap about them coming on here and being open with people and explaining things to them.
    Wake up, they are SELLING their product to you. Don't look at is as anything else.
    I point you to exactly the same SALES tactics on boards from Netsource.
    Everyone loved Netsource for it.
    No though, things have gone a little pear shaped and everyone is giving out about Netsource and Netsource Reps have dissapeared from boards.
    If things don't go so well for UTV, it will go the same way.
    If you want low pings, Get a guarantee of low pings in your contract(bet you can't).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭urban Ninja

Man, your right! Everyone who joined up to netsource did so because of capless service and the thought of the amount of downloads they could get.

If they wanted their broadband for gaming they could've gone with IOL and Eircom who cap their service, meaning no warez monkies and low pings.

Netsource is a double edged sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Amen to that NITEMAN. Most sensible post I've read all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

emm what about the other countries.. that have no cap and users pings are perfectly fine.. I have a friend in Spain who has a cap free service and his pings are perfectly low.. and he does his fair share of downloading. The thruth is we shouldnt have to make the choise between .. downloading and gaming/low ping... using one isp for one and the other for the other they should be on the same service like ever other fecking country.

We shouldn't have to choose, but we do, and realistically, we'll have to choose between them for a quite a while to come. The ISP's are just selling on eircom's RADSL. There's nothing they can do about the sevre lack of infrastructure for broadband in place. Eircom own the lines, eircom own the exchanges, eircom own the bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by MrPinK
    There's nothing they can do about the sevre lack of infrastructure for broadband in place. Eircom own the lines, eircom own the exchanges, eircom own the bandwidth

Netsource's problems are due to lack of planning or lack of funds. If they intended to give a capless service, they should of bought sufficient bandwidth to deal with the demand. Getting f*cked pings and 10KB's all weekend from a server I usually get 52 from is not a good service, and its not Eircom's fault

• Advertisement

I still get 50Kb/s downloads when the pings are bad, as do the other ppl I know with netsource, but if you're getting 10Kb/s there's certainly a problem alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Same here MrPink, downloads have been excellent as expected in the over 50kb/s range at any time of day i have tried since day 1 despite the bad pings but alas i dont use it for gaming :)

Sadly infrastructure is to blame, if you want good pings....as said above there are alternative providers :)

Ando, can you explain why some get good downloads anytime and some not ?
    It has to be eircom infrastructure problem (radsl) ??
    There are 2 other people on boards on same exchange(finglas) as me, maybe exchange problem ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

ah I dunno at this stage. I was under the impression everyone was getting bad download speeds when the pings went crap? cause thats what happens to me. At quiet times, my pings to uk servers are excellent, so are my download speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by ando
    ah I dunno at this stage. I was under the impression everyone was getting bad download speeds when the pings went crap? cause thats what happens to me. At quiet times, my pings to uk servers are excellent, so are my download speeds

Same here ando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

OK

Netsource coulda left themselves open to the Warez Monkey by not including any T&C's on fair usage ....not the same as a CAP..

If Netsource were a UK ISP, picking up the customers from BT wholesale, then Netsource would have 48 Times More Customer Bandwidth at the handover point. Small but important detail discussed in the IoffL forum.

Eircom contents 48:1 before then, Netsource cannot do anything with the simians. They cannot throttle them or anything, /me would have mysterious routing issues on certain IP's if I were them, that is the only technical solution they have available for the Warez Monkeys.

1 Warez Monkey in 48 (thats 2.1% of customer on a contended port) can make sh1te of everyone elses ping. It is the same with UTV and with IOL but they can actually do something about it within the space of a few weeks becuase their T&C will let them do so.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    emm what about the other countries.. that have no cap and users pings are perfectly fine.. I have a friend in Spain who has a cap free service and his pings are perfectly low.. and he does his fair share of downloading. The thruth is we shouldnt have to make the choise between .. downloading and gaming/low ping... using one isp for one and the other for the other they should be on the same service like ever other fecking country.

Quite Right, and lets not forget that we are not just paying for a Capless service, we are paying extra for a Capless service.
    BTW. I'm not a warez Monkey, I just feel very strongly in the suckyness of Caps!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom contends 48:1 before then, Netsource cannot do anything with the simians.

go on, have a banana ...

elsewhere the same shower are trying to pass off 9,600 bits per second as broadband ...

- I'm all in favour of throttling as a means of fairness, let the little furry ones download overnight - but when there is contention share out the BB so those who have used least bandwidth get the biggest chunk.

Here's a nasty thought - an ISP could always let the BSA / HMV know which customers use most bandwidth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Like the man says,
    Move to a povider who will make sure you have low pings.
    I always get over 50K downloads but crap pings on Netsource.
    I like to play the odd game but i think i'll probably hit the 10G mark on downloads, so i might just stay with netsource for the download speeds since they are very stable now - had my doubts over the first few weeks though.
    If you move though make damn sure that youre making the right decision.
    12 month contract - too long for me.

Advertisement