Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Discworld....

Options
  • 15-06-2003 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

whats the best/first book i should read?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

hard question

may as well start at tyhe beginning with the colour of magic or maybe mort or the fifth elephant
    all are good so it really doesnt matter whick ones you read first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'd say your best bet is to have a look at the "first book you read" thread and decide for yourself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Theres 3 main "threads" in the discworld universe - the wizards, the guards & the witches. Id say ure better off startin on one of these: The Colour of Magic, Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters. Or one of the standalone books like Pyramids or Small Gods.

Start on any of the others and you wont get half the little jokes :).

Of course The Colour of Magic was the first discworld book so it might be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I recommend chronological order. It was a major pleasure watching the whole world developing (Death in TCOM is quite different from Death in Soul Music, although it's the very same character), and I was sure to catch all the in-jokes and references to previous books.:)

Besides, you get to start on the Disc's greatest hero Rincewind!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

i started with small gods. then the death series, then the witches, followed by wizards, going to start the watch soon.

I recommend small gods to anyone, whether it be ur first or tenth discworld novel:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by Sarky

Besides, you get to start on the Disc's greatest hero Rincewind!:D

Yeh... i dont like Rincewind... so I wouldnt advise starting at Colour of Magic....
    I'd go for one of the Death books myself. They're usually the funniest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Guards ! Guards ! or Colour of Magic definitely , i rather Guards! Guards! because i prefer the night watch novels but rincewind is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Aye the later rincewind books are a bit poo - but TCOM and TLF are just crazy.... in a good way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I only started to read Discworld a few weeks ago (I'm 22- where have I been!!:confused:) and I've read 5 one after another. I started with TCOM and went in chronogical order so I just finished Sourcery. So far Mort was the best. Wyrd Sisters will be my next purchase as soon as I get to Easons. I'm hugely enjoying them so far, so I think reading them in this order is a good way to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

*bump* whoa i forgot i posted this!!

thx all i think ill start with the colour of magic, i prefer the wizard thing i think....

funny i tried reading soul music before didnt have a fookin clue what was goin on.... and a lot of lines that were obviously jokes i didnt get and i was lookin back at what i had read earlier in the novel for a reference :rolleyes: anyway i got half way and then stopped... i meant to go back but....meh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

Starting people off on their Discworld adventure is always difficult, but where to start really depends on the person. If it's one of your mates who thinks that you're a great big nerd for having your head in a book about dragons all the time, then you've got to start them on the watch books. Maskerade is often a great hit with the artsy type who likes to bring you along to the theatre. But there's no way I'd start anybody off on The Colour of Magic - it's far too out there for newcomers, and, dare I say it, just not as good as the rest of them. To the member who has only read as far as Sourcery - yeah, they're great, but you are in for such a treat, darling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I hope you read Macbeth at some point, Kalina, or you'll miss half the jokes of Wyrd Sisters. Still, that leaves a veritable shedload of regular laughs, so don't worry about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I started with the color of magic followed by the light fantastic
    then i moved onto the death books im on the guards books at the moment (by far the best of TP's work) the humor is great

check out the thread "the order of things" as it should list at least some of the order that the books go in

For example the guards books go in the order:

guards!! guards!!
    men at arms
    Feet of clay
    Jingo
    the fifth elephant
    and night watch

(i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

"Guards, Guards!" onwards and the Rincewind Books, any of them that happen to contain the Patrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Sarky
    I hope you read Macbeth at some point, Kalina, or you'll miss half the jokes of Wyrd Sisters. Still, that leaves a veritable shedload of regular laughs, so don't worry about it...

Yep, did Macbeth for the Leaving Cert. I'm just getting started on Wyrd Sisters now, had to take a Discworld break to fit in Harry Potter!!

Advertisement