Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's the night before PHYSICS, and here are some tips:

Options
  • 15-06-2003 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Here are some last-minute (literally) tips for passing Physics:

1) Spend two hours scanning through all the experiments except for last year's. Know the precautions, the required formulae, and wat goes on what axis in the graphs.

Some expected experiments this year: The pendulum one, and the refractive index of water, or snell's law

2) Modern Physics: spend half an hour studying the Cathode Rays - they didn't come up last year and are likely to this year. Then study radioactivity and nuclear energy.

3) Particle Physics: Quarks, baryons, mesons, hadrons, leptons - none of this stuff came up last year. Neither did conservation of energy and momentum. There's nothing else really left from this section to come up.

4) Scan through the mechanics, light, wave motion, sound, and temperature/heat sections.

That's at least 4 hours work. It should help you pass.
    I've left out the electricity section because personally, i wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. However it's up to you.

good luck
    c ye! ;)

*this time tomorrow, t'will all be over!*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

you've just practically posted up my study plan for the night :D
    except, i unfortunately will be covering electricity.
    Some expected experiments this year: The pendulum one, and the refractive index of water, or snell's law

some added time will have to be spent at those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

jebus! half an hour doin cathode rays?! only takes me about 15 mins to do em :p do ye not just remember things ye read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    do ye not just remember things ye read?

No way, I read the whole electricity section about a month ago and a can guarantee you I don't remember a thing. The only thing I ever remember is the light section (first 4 chapters of Real World Physics) because I usually read those chapters and just give up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Are many people using real world physics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    jebus! half an hour doin cathode rays?! only takes me about 15 mins to do em :p do ye not just remember things ye read?

Sorry i don't see what there is to in cathode rays, there electrons emitted from a cathode by thermionic effect, dosen't sound t ohard to me, then you just remember how to draw a CRT

Btw i "use" real world physics, its crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

as far as i know most poeple are...

our school is anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm using Physics Now! - it's quite good.

I say I'm using Pyhsics Now!, but my teacher handed me out 9 A4 sheets containing everything that can be asked this year. I've spent the day learning everything that I couldn't answer on those. When I sober up, I'll revise nuclear and electricity, and learn all the formulas pertaining to angular velocity, simple harmonic motion and gravity.

quick ques:
    if they ask for a definition of moment of a force, can i just write :
    moment = force x perpindicular distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont think you'd get full marks for that, as you dont say the from where the distance is.

The moment at a point is the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to that point.

ok dat was a bad example... say if it asks for magnetic flux density (B) and i say it = F (divided by) IL,
    where F is force
    I is current
    L is length
    where B acts perpendicularly to F?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

dont know if theyd except that coz it doesnt mention da direction of da force. i tried making out a def from the formula for the pres, but only got 1/2 marks so learnt da long bastarding thing in RWP.
    The Magnetic Flux Density (B) at a point in a magnetic field is a vector whose magnitude is equal to the force . . . etc etc.

Also in that you're leaving out the Sin(theta) part, but on our course theta is always equal to 90, making it equal to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

pseudonym - i always thought it was "put me in the dock" ?? (your sig)

anyway - off topic i know! - radiohead kick ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

no, having just reviewed it, it's definitely "box"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

In light of the paper, those were pretty accurate predictions, especially considering the question with the cathode rays and the particle physics questions about leptons/baryons and on conservation of momentum and charge of pair annihalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Radiation : such a godsend!

Radiation was a lovely STS question, I was expecting something a bit more chalanging, but I flew through it.

Infact I think the only anyway difficult question was question 8, with the speed of cathode rays.

Advertisement