Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb pros cons etc

Options
  • 15-06-2003 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

opening shot

Anyone using Digiweb, can they comment on the pros and cons of the service. Whilst it is a bit pricey there seems to be no limits on downloads etc. I am interested in hearing past and present users comments on it.

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

search Boards and Google for comments about it. It is known as BT Openworld in Scotland and has a Board dedicated to it Here . Join that and ask them!

its fine for web and email, dunno about newsfeeds.

its crap for VPN connections and unusable for Gaming.

there is no second hand market for the (pricey) kit if you decide to dump it.

They block ports to stop you running a server or using P2P applications of any kind.

Do NOT let the installer leave until you have tested it fully with your PC, also remember that it points south east at a gizmo 22000 miles away in space that it around the size of a bus. Some people have had vibrations caused by crap installs which knocked it out of service. It is difficult to realign without a SAT signal strength meter. Ideally try to jiggle it to ensure that it is secure , while downloading while the installer is there.

HTH

M

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Thanks for the tips, I will bear that in mind, as yet I am undecided as what to do and may wait a bit longer. They seem to have reduced the price recently though not by much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you are looking to run a bbs system, I would recommend you investigate getting it hosted rather than running over a satelite link from home. Latencies will be bad over satelite.

I am looking to all of this as I am aware there must be an up and down route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Digiweb are now doing wireless in the North East. Are coming "soon" to Navan and Trim. I would be interested to hear from anyone in Louth using their wireless setup.

The price is good too.

• Advertisement

Sadly I live in the west, next stop New York :)

Advertisement