Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network help needed

Options
  • 15-06-2003 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

i am trying to connect a desktop windows xp which set up right have the right cards and cable the problems is the laptop windows 98 i got a netsetup file of the dektop after setting it up but when i went to run the file on the laptop it looked for the window s 98 disk is there anything that could be done to avoid it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

1. Make sure you are using a crossover cable between the two and not a standard network cable.
    2. Plug it in both ends, set both cards to automatically get ip addresses and you should be sorted.
    3. Right click on any drives you want to share over the network and enable sharing. You may also need to go through folder by folder and enable sharing.

If you don't have a crossover cable and are any way handy with a soldering iron you can find instructions on the net for making one. You basically just cut it in the middle and swap two pairs of wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You'll need the cd. I dont think there's a way around it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If it's looking for the CD then I'd say it's trying to setup some sort of service that's not installed on the laptop, like printer sharing. It's probably something you don't even need. You should still be able to setup the network manually alright, but it's been a while since I did it in Win 98. Is there a create new connection in Network Connections? Actually, not sure if it was called Network Connections in '98. Look for something similar in Contorl Panel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a folder called win98 on the HDD

then when it looks for the CD - type in C:\win98 etc.
    if it don't find the file on the cd - it's probably looking for drivers for the card - win 98 will not have drivers for anything developed since 98 (actually it's since 1996 based on the drivers it's missing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by joe bloggs
    i i got a netsetup file of the dektop after setting it up but when i went to run the file on the laptop it looked for the window s 98 disk is there anything that could be done to avoid it
    Were you trying to setup ICS?
    You could do a search for *.cab on your HD, if the files are there point windows to them when it prompts for the disk.
    If it's ICS you're trying to setup, you could download a program like Wingate or something similar until you get the/a windows 98 cd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement