Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will new system perform?

• 15-06-2003 10:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First off thanks to all who gave advice to me about this system,much appreciated.
    Heres my final system i ordered from Elara today.
    Now to nitty gritty ,how will it perform guys ?Will i see a big change?

My old spec was basically
    P4 1.5,384 mb sdram,20gig HD,GF 4 TI 4200 64 mb,Win ME.

New system.

Intel D865PERL mPGA478 i865PE ATX4GB AGPX8 800mhz FSB
    Pentium4 2.8 GHZ 512kb Cache 800mhz
    Mushkin 512mb PC2300 Dual Channel E-DDR CL2 2-2-2
    Western Digital 80Gb 7200rpm HD
    BenQ Combo/32xwrite 10xReWrite 40xRead + 12xDVD-ROM
    Gainward Geforce4 ULTRA/650-8xTV / AGP64MB DDR TI 4200
    Hansol 17" CRT monitor 730E .24 85HZ
    Win XP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well that ram is prob some of the best you can buy should be sweet for gaming. 2.8ghz 800fsb is suppose to be very very fast , with a mild overclock it will do 3ghz with no probs & your ram is perfect for overclocking. Seems like a very sweet machine to me, should be a big increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,647 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Dcully

Mushkin 512mb PC2300 Dual Channel E-DDR CL2 2-2-2

Ehhr, suppose you mean PC3200:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No expert here, but in the recent PC building I have done and from checking out various websites, Mushkin ram seems to get alot of bad press about being a tad unstable.

Just a heads up is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

will be a nice set up but why that motherboard? do u need a matx mobo? if not id recommend an abit is7 or asus p4p800 instead which will allow you overclock should u so wish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

will be a nice set up but why that motherboard? do u need a matx mobo? if not id recommend an abit is7 or asus p4p800 instead which will allow you overclock should u so wish

TBh it was configured by Elare Rep here on Boards,well most of it.
    Im no expert so i left Mobo to him.As for overclocking i doubt i will bother ,well atleast until i see a game that needs some overclocking.

I intend getting a better GFX card at a later date as my budget is reached but i hear the 8X AGP on the GFX card included will take advantage of the mobo board.
    As ive said i dont know tbh ,thanks for comment s guys ,much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dcully,

Overclocking on these CPUs is so easy (you can do it with just aircooling, and you'll probably get a fairly good overclock) that there is no point in *not* doing it :)
    It's like getting a better CPU for free. I'd also change that board.

I keep hearing ,"get a different mobo".
    As ive said i dont know one mobo from another so what exactly is wrong with the one ive included?If its because of limited overclocking potential,its not an issue [yet]

As long as it runs the P4 with 800 FSB and ram to its potential im happy [will it?]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As ive said i dont know one mobo from another so what exactly is wrong with the one ive included?If its because of limited overclocking potential,its not an issue [yet]

but it will be an issue if and when u decide u wouldnt mind a lil clock :) most of these chips will do well over 3ghz with no voltage increase

the bit about the x8 agp is a gimmick x8agp offers very very little real world perf over x4 agp so little so that agp willb e replaced by pci express in a yr or so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You basically wont be doing any overclocking at all with an Intel Board. Since they are configured without any memory hacks too it will actually be slower than a similar ASUS or ABIT 865 based board.

Id also get a DX9 capable card too if possible, ie GeforceFX 5600 or Radeon 9500 and above.

Matt

system is already ordered and prob getting built as we speak:(
    If i had of knowing that,TBH i dont know what mobo is compatible with what CPU ,Ram etc.
    Typical !! after all my research and advice on this and other forums i still got i wrong :(

Please tellme it will run HL2,etc nice and sweet.
    I intend on upgrading gfx card later but budget was reached hence i went for GF4 hoping for decent performance/money tradeoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Dcully

Please tellme it will run HL2,etc nice and sweet.
    I intend on upgrading gfx card later but budget was reached hence i went for GF4 hoping for decent performance/money tradeoff.

Heh, the system will prolly run HL2 fine, youd only be missing some DX9 specific features and using the (quite nice as well) DX8 equivilents. Since you will upgrade the GFX anyway one day, its all good...

Matt

Advertisement