Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP/MS Access tutorials/info?

Options
  • 16-06-2003 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I'm lookig for a quick tutorial on using ASP(VBscript)/MS Access preferrably with some sort of payment/shopping example. Using encription with the CC details. I've only used ASP with MS SQL or PHP/MySQL before. But I expect its much the same. Not done any encryption though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Don't know of any complete examples, these are usually off the shelf products that are very hard to manipulate.

Go to www.aspin.com - you can get all the different aspects you require then put them together as you please.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ok thanks for the link anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I've not read it in detail, but here's a piece on creating a Shopping Basket with MS SQL Server 7.0. Unfortunately, converting over to Access is not that straightforward as it might be, after taking a glance at the SQL code in the stored procedures.

However, it should at least give you the bulk of the business logic neccessary for such an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you wanna use Dreamweaver MX or Ultradev, www.webthang.co.uk is the best ever. I got 79% in my diploma project thanks to this bad boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

Theres rakes of good tutorials here
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com

But I reckon you'd be better off looking at using mySQL , not Access as the Access security model is non existant.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by boo-boo
    Theres rakes of good tutorials here
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com

But I reckon you'd be better off looking at using mySQL , not Access as the Access security model is non existant.

Actually I know quite a bit of MySQL and MS SQL (re: my first post) . Its just that a new project requires MS Access and I've never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Actually I know quite a bit of MySQL and MS SQL (re: my first post) . Its just that a new project requires MS Access and I've never used it.

You shouldn't have many problems converting a MS SQL application back to an ACCESS system. In fairness its easier to do it the other way round though, but generally its your stored procedures etc, the main beauties of MS SQL that will hinder your development.

Just think of it that you are going back to using a shovel and spade instead of a JCB! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

Fair 'nuff, if thats what they want, thats what they want.

These guys should have some useful stuff on Access/ ASP

This is a section on securing Accesss on the web.

http://www.brinkster.com/Articles/Databases/SecureAccess.asp

But don't know of any full featured shopping cart type examples for Access. Although you could use the Access wizard GUI thing for doing complex inner joins, the Access synthax for Inner joins is very different from the standard, and is a bit of a mess IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The mini-tutorials on databases here are all based upon MS Access. Very good resource.

Ok thanks y'all for the links

• Advertisement
Advertisement