Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers?

Options
  • 16-06-2003 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting UTV's Clickstream RADSL soon. I was already planning on getting a router at some stage and connecting my 3 PC's to the network. But then I read on UTV's NG that they will slash the installation fee (99euro) if you don't want their modem.

So I got to thinking, why don't I tell them to keep their USB modem and put the money towards a router instead.

Now, as previous posts on this forum will tell, I know fsck all about networking. A mate who has a router on his cable connection told me that you STILL need a modem.

So it goes: Cable Modem -> Router -> PC's

Whereas I thought the router functioned as a modem as well.

Anybody clear this up for me? And also tell me if this router would do the trick either way?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

That router you linked to needs a modem aswell.
    Alot of routers do have built in modems so you only need to worry about the one box.
    I'm assuming UTV are going to be reselling Eircom's RADSL, so the modems people are using on Eircom/Netsource should work too.
    Do a search here and on the Broadband forum, there's 100s of threads about this.
    The DLink routers seem to be the most popular.
    Personally I'd go for the Zyxel Prestige routers, although these can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

have a look at the allied telesyn at-ar240e...its a modem, router, firewall...

http://www.ict-pro.com/products/at-ar240e.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

You can pick up modem/routers for about 90-120 euro. They come with loads of features and are excellent.
    I recommend getting one with an ethernet connection and stear well clear of the USB ones.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

"stear well clear of the USB ones"

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"USB-only" I think is what he meant.

Because they're shit for a sustained network, or any network tbh, unless you want to pass your router through another machine.

This is the first I've heard of someone actually ordering UTV's Clickstream. Are they taking orders?
    What are the details?

I'm about 24-hours away from ordering Netsource's SOHO (awaiting a reply to an email I sent asking a few questions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cheers lads, I'll give 'em a look.

Syx, yea they're taking orders since last week :]
    http://u.tv/internet/services/clicksilverie/clicksilver.asp

Advertisement