Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP ; A Hate/Hate Relationship

• 16-06-2003 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

It hates us, and most of the time we hate it [well when it decides to screw you over after a reboot at least]

I think 75% of my computers feic up's have been due to my boredom, and from that deciding to make sure every feicin driver on my sys is up-to-date.

Last night came the sound update - it worked fine, without problems ... but updating good .....[in theroy at least]

Reboot - and shiny welcome screen + 15 or so error msgs.
    Somehow, all the Sys Volume dir's corrupted, as is MFT for each drive ... and all the info in "documents & settings" folder ... fun.

TBH it is the first problem XP has given me that is any way serious & uncurable [apart from fdisk/format] ... nothing important that isn't backed up at least - thankful for small graces - prob won't be on net @ home as after working last thing wanna do is rebuild XP at home.

At least today I shall have something to do in work
    *sticks another pin in voodoo doll of Bill Gates & another in Steve Balmer [really a monkey] voodoo doll*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I must agree. XP is a rock solid OS but when it bombs it has a new and improved ability to bomb in style. :cool:

Also anyone who finds that their XP is running like a dog over the last few weeks should check (In control panel - add remove progs) to see if the Windows XP HotFix Q811493 is there. It was a f**k up by Billy boy. But if you remove that HotFix then your system will improve. That HotFix does not mess up all systems but I have seen it's evil effects at work in the recent past.

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm sorry but I just will not touch XP with a 10 foot pole.

Its evil incarnate I tell you.

Funny though, Dell are only packaging XP with their computers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my laptop came with Xp, i tried it for 2 weeks then formatted and installed 2k

it was bloody evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Worked fine for me - until the _little_ blunder ...

Now i'm running Windows 2003 Standard server lol.
    what can i say, im a glutten for punishment [not meant in any sort of S&M way lol]

Suprisingly it's quite nice - all the things I couldn't get working [properly] in win2k server .... works ;)

Think XP Mixed w/ Win2k Server ... everything does itself hehe - Although networking side of things is a bit ... Auto - and if try to do things your way, ye tend to have to break & rebuild kinda thing - overall runs a lot quicker than Win2k Server & seems quite nice for the moment ... we shall see...

ok........
    found /ickle/ problem .... heh
    kinda lack of drivers - and any .msi's dont like working w/ OS ... and MS dont support any their own hardware on OS yet - this quite fun hehe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'd better greese up my old mits for that 2003 *drool* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i have xp pro and i havent had a problem yet. i have it for a year or so....

i had no problems till got bored & upgraded drivers,

btw - advise ppl not to do xp home -> pro upgrade [on a dell at least] - kinda screwed it up - rebuilding 2 comps in days/week to come seems :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my poor ickkle laptop is stil riddeled with xp,
    it aint that terribley bad though,
    then again if I wasnt so Lazy and had the time to back up and format it,
    it wouldnt be the os of choice

ah when yer as used to backing up / formatting / reinstalling as me - not that bad - and the countdown on windows helps - 7 days left to activate server, before shuts down lol
    ...could crack it but it's so botched - need some encouragement.

ah once ya have network backup easy - then it's just beer and boredom & tis grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

use xp pro on my lappy - bit slow, only 800Mhz
    use xp home on my pc, crashs every once and awhile. but not going to play around with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Yrthilian

hmm well i find xp pro to be great.

sorry to say i knows nothing about linux and the likes :(
    but am working on it.

but have to say i have fecked around with xp pro and all sorts of things and fond that i have had no problems yet.

guess i am just the lucky one :P

Yrth

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

restore is the best xp function ever:)
    Tis my new discovery:)

LOL
    ....hmmm why that not suprise me
    yer loose 2 nerd points each time have to do sys restore!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

soon you'll be a normal person

tom,
    you say that like it's some sort of /good/ thing ?
    always thought of normal as a politically correct, socially acceptable word for boring ?

Or is this yet another dillusion, that shall have to be broken down ? ;/

thats not a question, because your gona break it down anyway

yeah, but breaking things is fun - whether it be people/computers/phones/the mind - all fun :)

granted only fun when your not the one getting broken - well ; can be but pain from getting broken just even's out the funny side ...

headcase ; you must have a similaraly quiet job to mine - doign nothing all day; havign to look busy - so type like mad to give image your doing work & are needed in the company, while also deserving the pay cheque.
    hmm; easy way ; rewrite all their progs, don't document, and use one variable-name for every program ... and just keep reusing the variable :D

true i haven't had much to do.
    been playing mini golf on www.electrotank.com
    i'm waiting on a delevoper to finish the design on a site and then i will have a busy evening. probably have to work late.

damn my lack of privacy in office - think mini-golf too obvious im doing nothing ; gotta be subtle bout it!

ah fun ; late night of working - coke/pizza combo then so :)

• Advertisement

my best is -10

Advertisement