Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are people Happy

• 16-06-2003 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Are you happy ?

Someone recently asked me am I really happy ?
    I said "yeah 'spose" but she persisted and said think about it
    thinking about everything in your life and how you generally feel about it all. I did this and found that Im not really happy but at the same time im not sad either. So what am I ?

Well apparently im like most other people and I dont take stock of how Im feeling and i plod through life until something really serious goes wrong and then get depressed ...or something like that. I didnt pay that much attention to her dribble

The only interesting thing I got from it all was her claim that less than 10% of Irish people were really happy. And I dont know where she pulled this stat out of so I though I would do my own research....

Are you really Happy ? 107 votes

Yes, isnt life wonderful
    0% 0 votes
    No, Life sucks
    14% 15 votes
    Im grand, thanks for asking
    39% 42 votes
    Stupid thread, feck off would ya.
    46% 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hell no ...

I've very little to be unhappy about ... but nonetheless I am... so I'm out of here to sunnier climes to do some soul-searching before I go nuts!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nah, having a sh*te time lately..

work is pissing me off, up to my eye balls on debt and the bills keep coming.. :confused:

Now would be a good time for a lotto win :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Lifes pretty shiit, stuck in a rut and all that........but im high spirited so who gives a fuk, it'll pass.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The definition of happy is a dificult one, I think you could spend the rest of your life trying to define it as it is most likely different for everyone. Its a sad fact that our consumer lifestyle makes being happy very difficult as most people want, a better car, a better tv, a better house etc etc, and in order to get it they need to get more cash and to get that you need to work harder or take more risks, which in turn will probably for a great many people end up just making them miserable at some point in the journey from A to B.

There are other factors that make people happy for longer periods of time than material items, typiclly the greatest non material things are relationships and lets call it spirituality (or the way you live your life and treat both yourself and others with respect).

I think that if people worked half as hard as they do to acquire material goods as they do on their relationships, more people would be happy for longer periods of time and if you explore your spiritual nature and decide to follow a religion for guidence or try to develop a set of moral standards for yourself the practice of these standards can also lead to a certain type of happiness.

Anyway, i waffle alot, but, the defination of happy for each one of us is likely to be different and will also constantly change as your work to achieve something and then work towards the next. Its a really big question and something that everyone should ask and explore for themselves.

Vex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Jesus, I reckon somebody spiked the nations watersupply over the weekend. I havent been on boards since sat. evening.
    I've just spent the last two and a half hours going though PI and the journals. -which I do every morning, just after I check the for-sales...

I have never seen so much saddness in such a short time! Everybody has taken huge steps backwards over the weekend.I cant really comment too much, as I dont really know the people involved.
    To answer your question though..... I wouldn't continue gauging your happiness by somebody elses opinion. People need to wake up and realise that not having anything to be pissed off about is very good indeed. The chances of getting rich and having all you might want are slim, but that applies to most people.
    We need to start comparing ourselves to real people and quit reading about them damned celebs!
    That is all... cheer up ye feckers! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Suppose one has to consider the generally speaking there is always someone in a much worse off situation than yourself!

Which, if we follow this to its logical conclusion, somewhere out-there is the most miserable wretched f**ked up person alive ...

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

I think it's a very hard question to answer...Am I happy laying on a beach in Spain watching all the fine women walking by thinking of the nights drinking ahead enjoying the rays, **** YES!. I consider myself to be a generally happy person, but I’m not content with what I have and I don't think you ever should be, this helps you strive to be better and do more with your life, it's all about perception I suppose, my life’s about having goals and trying to reach such goals, when I have make new ones and start all over again this makes me happy it might not make the next person happy, but overall from my exp I think a high percentage of people from the age of 18-25 would be generally "unhappy" this just based on people I come into contact with on a daily basis work colleagues and friends, they're not manic depressives but not bubbling with joy, to find a genuine happy person with not a worry in the world is hard to find, everyone has times in their life when they get down for what ever reason, I haven't being around boards long enough to comment but I do see alot of sadness and alot of issues around, *cries at the malteaser with earmuffs* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Im so glad that I can truly answer this question and say that I am happy today.

Happiness for me are my friends. I place no emotional value on material things in life, I know they can come and go. My friends are the most important thing in the world and for the first time in my life I truly have the best, most loyal and true friends anyone could hope to find in their life. I've been extremely lucky and can wake up today and say that I'm truly happy to be me.

:-)

I've never had that before so it truly is special.
    I hope that everyone will feel as good as I do right now at some stage in their life.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

No matter how bad it is... it can 'always' get worse.

Thus life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

:)
    just go to the technology/broadband area on boards and read a few of the threads.
    Should go a long way to answer this question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

currently....
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I think I'm probably happier that I've come out of college and been unable to find a lasting job, than I would be if I had walked into a good one. Caused me to re-evaluate my priorities. Refuted my apparent belief that if I didn't succeed I wouldn't get a fantastic beautiful girlfriend (I did).

I heard that people in poorer areas in Dublin are generally happier than those in richer ones. Perhaps because they are more people-oriented and less success-oriented.

"if you explore your spiritual nature and decide to follow a religion for guidence or try to develop a set of moral standards for yourself the practice of these standards can also lead to a certain type of happiness."

-This leads to a sense of dignity not necessarily happiness I think. But in principle I agree completely. Get fatalistic about results and decide to concentrate on the process and it will be difficult to disappoint you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Life is good :)

<< Fio >>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm curiously optimistic :)

I've nothing to be really happy about, but i've nothing to be incredibly sad over and hopefully my life is gona start picking up in a few months if everything works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Meh:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Bah humbugger.

Or in guitar speak - Bad Humbucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Life sucks giant balls but sometimes one has no choice but to get on with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We'd like to be unhappy but we just don't have the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I'm grand, thanks for asking.

When I look at my life, I think: I'm happy. I'm not tortured, beaten, abused, raped, limbless, so on. Nothing truly life shatteringly bad has happened to me. Yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

That's not very encouraging for all the people who have been tortured, beaten, abused, raped, limbless, Zukustious

tsk tsk tsk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Could be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

At the moment...

I don't know really how I'm feeling, I'm not happy as such because there are a few things that I would like to sort out or clarify that are making me anxious or slightly upset at the moment. I'm not unhappy though either...

Meh!

Bah!

I'm a girl I don't have to make my mind up really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

life is bitch you just have to learn to get on with it, and get over what problems you have. there is no point in moaning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

hmm, i dont think happiness can be so generalised. im very happy with some things, not at all with others. i guess it depends if it all balances out, in general id say not so much.

if moaning helps u get on with it, whats wrong with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

V.tough question and Vex is too right, it is almost impossible to define, some people have different notions of what happiness is to them,

Life is a rollercoaster ride especially in the society we live in today, to achieve perpfect happiness throughout your whole life I fear is simply unheard of.

But you learn from your unhappiness and you bounce back and stronger too :).

I think it is a fine balance and if achieved it is perfectly healthy.

On the other hand there are some who percieve happiness from what they have been conditioned to believe and unfortunately do not see past this.

Often those are the ones who look back half way through their life and finally realise that they achieved everything but happiness.
    (but again, that is not always the case).

I don't believe you can derive a statistic from happiness.

Personally, as of today many happy a day lies ahead

/Capt. waffle signing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I work a crap job with god-awful hours and feck-all holiday time what have I got to be happy about?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Life has the capability of throwing ANYTHING at you...
    For some you'll find that the way you go about things brings you to a higher scale and ease of mind where things are going well and there are little to no bumps in the road...

For others, life is a tempest of problems, pain, hurt and sadness.

It is different for everyone, so you just have to make do with what you have and get on with it.
    I've had my fair share of ****, but I've had some good times also, and all I can do is learn from it all.

As for lately, life has been mixed to the extreme... So I just voted "****" as a prediction rather than a statement :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tis fair to middling - wasn't so much a few months ago, but I just sorted that stuff out cause there was no point staying pissed off when the cause was so ridiculous. Of course, I knew that I would sort it out eventually, but that didn't help me feel any better at the time until I activly did something about it.

If your life sucks, it's up to you to change it: Garret - I'm looking at you here. LISTEN TO YOUR BIG BROTHER!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Just gotta roll with the punches etc etc.. currently, life is not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Happiness is only moments, the more moments you have the happier you are - and sure, I'm grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm thinking i'm also grand.

I know for a fact there are people a lot worse off than me in the world so i wouldn't bother complaining as it would get me nowhere.

Seriously - i'm doing what i want to do in spectacular fashion.

My worst gripe is that i won't be able to afford a house until i'm about 230 years old. Not at these prices so i live at home with my folks which is just cosy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PatLam

Mhm. Happiness is difficult to find, I've been searching my whole life for it, and never really found it. I came close to hapiness on some fat trance parties, feeling my soul explode, my heart smile and my mind become a maze..without taking any drug.
    I also had a glimpse of happiness when I came home early in the morning, seeing the sun set, feeling its warmth.
    But I guess that these few moments can't be it, I am waiting for Mr Happiness to show up one day

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eeyore

Right now, life could not be better!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

not great at the moment, lots of uncertainty. taking a large leap of faith this week by leaving my job.

No more boards. (thats gonna hurt like hell)

anyway tears all round. a coat with twelve pockets, some large rocks and a canal. hmmmm watery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Squeeks

No not at all and I don't even remember the last time that I was truly happy.... but thanks for asking!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Just finished my leaving cert, who wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

On the whole, life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

There are so many factors influencing ones mood, and in that context happiness as a surrounding context is, IMO, in a state of continual flux.

However, I think there is a deeper undercurrent context for happiness that gives one the outlook that no matte what happens, one can move on, progress and that things will pass, change, and come out for the better.

I think both are important, but I think the latter is more profound. The Dalai Lama said that the meaning of life is to be happy, because why would one want to live an unhappy life? I think there are a lot of things which try to distract and detract from an individual becoming happy, and it's hard to reach a self-definition.

There are a million things I could talk about, but thankfully, yes I am happy, in both contexts. Though it took me a long time to get there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im just taking things a day at a time at the moment, some days are good, others are not so good. Have a fair bit going on in my life at the moment so i try not to get to stressed about the things, although that can prove to be very difficult at times.

Today im happy, who knows what tommorow will bring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Well I'm happy even though your all feckin depressing me this morning.

BTW to all those who arn't happy if your unhappyness stems from:

a/ Cash
    b/ Women (or man - whatever floats your boat)
    c/ the weather

Forget about it. A B & C will always piss us off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 liam4mail

If you are not happy you need to get off your ass and find it. And make the search fun too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

thats a really tough question but i hope i can show another side to happiness and that is there is always hope for me ive manythings to be hopeful about for instance i suffer from depression but with the help of meds i hope to have a normal balanced life.
    another thing is that i am one of the aformentioned abused i was drugged and taken out of a pub into a car and sexually abused 7 months ago and besides hoping the F##ker dies i also hope that i can regain my confidence and feel comfortable out in public again.
    another thing i have to be hopefull about is the fact that even though ive been hospitalised 3 times since january with suicidal tendancies i hope to overcome my fear of life after abuse
    so all in all ive lots a very good job, been abused,been hospitalised and lost all self confidenceand still i live in hope that my life will get better thus there in lies my happiness .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

yep, 7~ years of loafing around as a student nearly in front of me i cant wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I find apart from tha fact that my dad sucks...All else is good. I have a Yummy man (wink, wink, you know who you are*). A job I really like, and the only thing else that could be better is if I was in Ireland. I find myself in a general state of happiness though, I don't find myself getting downed by the simple wars fought everyday or the beggers in the streets...I just try to look out for me cause god knows can't no one else do it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I'm pi$$ed off. Finished a course of Roaccutane about 6 months ago, for really bad acne. Now, today, almost 6 months to the day, they've come back again. So, if the question is 'Am I happy' then my answer is most definitely NO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

tbh i dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by catastrophy
    thats a really tough question but i hope i can show another side to happiness and that is there is always hope for me ive manythings to be hopeful about for instance i suffer from depression but with the help of meds i hope to have a normal balanced life.
    another thing is that i am one of the aformentioned abused i was drugged and taken out of a pub into a car and sexually abused 7 months ago and besides hoping the F##ker dies i also hope that i can regain my confidence and feel comfortable out in public again.
    another thing i have to be hopefull about is the fact that even though ive been hospitalised 3 times since january with suicidal tendancies i hope to overcome my fear of life after abuse
    so all in all ive lots a very good job, been abused,been hospitalised and lost all self confidenceand still i live in hope that my life will get better thus there in lies my happiness .

Jebus... Kind of puts it in to perspective. Best of luck catastophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Is anyone , truely happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Right now life for me is fine but its boring so im going to quit my job and fucck off too OZ at the end of August :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement