Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discworld Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Sourcery. (hope you guys don't mind me interrupting...I'm training myself to go on a quizshow with my special subject as Discworld)

I've not read Sourcery in years so I'll just have to put my other book aside for a while.

Don't suppose you'd like a list of awful questions to answer to beef up your knowledge of Discworld.

The answer is it has 3 legges of a mermade, the hair of a tortise the teeth of a fowel, and the wings of a snake.

What was Cherry Littlebottoms brothers name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Queen Molly

S.L.F wrote: »
    The answer is it has 3 legges of a mermade, the hair of a tortise the teeth of a fowel, and the wings of a snake.

What was Cherry Littlebottoms brothers name?

Snorey. What did Brother Dunnykin die of?

Snorey. What did Brother Dunnykin die of?

Either eaten or used up by the dragon (can't remember which)

Let me know if I'm right please I don't have the time to go searching through the book to look.

Either eaten or used up by the dragon (can't remember which)

Let me know if I'm right please I don't have the time to go searching through the book to look.

Officially, it was a crocodile who was hiding in his flowerbed.

however, I infer that it was, in fact, the dragon. Or at least, Lupine Wonse as the dragon.

EDIT: And yes, I would...how awful?

• Advertisement

how awful?

On page 3 of the third edition of The Colour of Magic who is the first person mentioned???

Or name the 2 different types of coffee mentioned in the entire Discworld series? (I had a look through the smilies and can't find one with an evil grin)

On page 3 of the third edition of The Colour of Magic who is the first person mentioned???

Or name the 2 different types of coffee mentioned in the entire Discworld series? (I had a look through the smilies and can't find one with an evil grin)

Klatchian coffee. and then Leonardo da Quirm's "very-fast-coffee". Suitable?

Klatchian coffee. and then Leonardo da Quirm's "very-fast-coffee". Suitable?

There is one more I don't consider instant coffee real coffee.

Then I'm stuck. >.<

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

corgi edition 1985
    - prologue is 3 pages so it's A'Tuin

or if you ignore the prologue Page 19 mentions old Fredor

corgi edition 1989
    prologue is two pages so first person is Bravd the Hublander
    or ignoring the prologue a character described as The Weasel

• Advertisement

corgi edition 1985
    - prologue is 3 pages so it's A'Tuin

or if you ignore the prologue Page 19 mentions old Fredor

corgi edition 1989
    prologue is two pages so first person is Bravd the Hublander
    or ignoring the prologue a character described as The Weasel

Sorry the bell went!!!

Molly the answer is in Guards Guards

Edit the answer is in Men at Arms

Sorry the bell went!!!

Molly the answer is in Guards Guards

Edit the answer is in Men at Arms

Didn't think it was in guards guards, I read it just last week. Will check men at arms tonight... started pyramids but I can put that down at a moments notice. Oh man. Going through them aaaaaall again. I reckon feet of clay is my favourite, but I may be lying. (and i can't find it! *sobs*)

Didn't think it was in guards guards, I read it just last week. Will check men at arms tonight... started pyramids but I can put that down at a moments notice. Oh man. Going through them aaaaaall again. I reckon feet of clay is my favourite, but I may be lying. (and i can't find it! *sobs*)

Hi Molly, I have the answer in front of me if you wish me to tell.

Would you rather something else?

Ok while everybody else is waiting.

Can anybody name the people who know Vimes is Keel (from the Nightwatch)?

Hi Molly, I have the answer in front of me if you wish me to tell.

Would you rather something else?

Okay. Sham Harga's coffee... In all fairness, da Quirm's "very-fast-coffee" isn't instant coffee, rather prototype espresso. So I reckon that answer still stands. Sorry about the lateness, my computer doesn't like this site very much.

The ones I have are from "Men at Arms" where Nobby and Fred are trying to make Vimes sober and have to give him a drink (of Bearhuggers) after sending him through the other side.

These coffees have names.

Since the OP is the mod from this thread I've PM'd...er...him...her..them for a decision.

The ones I have are from "Men at Arms" where Nobby and Fred are trying to make Vimes sober and have to give him a drink (of Bearhuggers) after sending him through the other side.

These coffees have names.

Since the OP is the mod from this thread I've PM'd...er...him...her..them for a decision.

That's Klatchian coffee...There's two different sorts. I mentioned that one.
    The only one mentioned in Men At Arms is Sham Harga's, quote: "Sham Harga's coffee was like molten lead, but it had this in its favour: when you'd drunk it, there was this overwhelming feeling of relief that you'd got to the bottom of the cup.
    'That,' said Vimes, 'was a bloody awful cup of coffee, Sham.'
    'Right,' said Harga.
    'I mean I've drunk a lot of bad coffee in my time but that, that was like having a saw dragged across my tongue. How long'd it been boiling?'"

Ah well. Maybe we should just move on to other questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

yeah new question time..

Search is still down so this may have been asked already but,

What is dibbler's real full name?

That's Klatchian coffee...There's two different sorts. I mentioned that one.
    The only one mentioned in Men At Arms is Sham Harga's, quote: "Sham Harga's coffee was like molten lead, but it had this in its favour: when you'd drunk it, there was this overwhelming feeling of relief that you'd got to the bottom of the cup.
    'That,' said Vimes, 'was a bloody awful cup of coffee, Sham.'
    'Right,' said Harga.
    'I mean I've drunk a lot of bad coffee in my time but that, that was like having a saw dragged across my tongue. How long'd it been boiling?'"

Ah well. Maybe we should just move on to other questions...

The quote from Discworld I have names 2 different types of Klatchian coffee
    enthusiasts take the precaution of getting thoroughly drunk before touching the stuff, because Klatchian coffee takes you back through sobriety and, if you're not careful, out the other side, where the mind of man should not go. The Watch was generally of the opinion that Samuel Vimes was at least two drinks under par, and needed a stiff double even to be sober.
    'Careful . . . careful . . .' Carrot let a few drops dribble between Vimes' lips.
    'Look, when I saidVimes' grimace of horror'—half a glass of Bearhugger's. We've sent him too far the other way.'
    The glass was fetched and administered. Vimes un-stiffened as it took effect.
    His palm uncurled.
    'Oh, my gods,' said Angua. 'Have we got any bandages?'
    —' Angua began.'Forget it.' Carrot didn't even look round.'I was only—''I said forget it.'Vimes opened his eyes, took a look at the world, and screamed.'Nobby!''Yes, sarge?''Did you buy the Red Desert Special or the Curly Mountain Straight?''Red Desert, sarge, because—''You could have said. Better get me—' He glanced at

mawk wrote: »
    yeah new question time..

Search is still down so this may have been asked already but,

What is dibbler's real full name?

As soon as you answer a question you can ask one.

Name the people in the present who know Vimes was John Keel

The quote from Discworld I have names 2 different types of Klatchian coffee

As soon as you answer a question you can ask one.

Name the people in the present who know Vimes was John Keel

Can give one, but not all...Dr Lawn...

doesn't qualify me for a question, but better than seeming ignorant ^^

oh, and before I forget, Lord Vetinari.

I'm sure there's others, though.

• Advertisement

Can give one, but not all...Dr Lawn...

doesn't qualify me for a question, but better than seeming ignorant ^^

oh, and before I forget, Lord Vetinari.

I'm sure there's others, though.

I'll give you the point

I'm tired of hogging this quiz

Dr. Lawn, Vetinari, Vimes (himself), Carcer, Lu-Tze and sweepers assistant (no name given), Qu, the brother who was the pawn broker (Sun Moon or something like that) and there is a suspicion that their boss (shagged if I can remember his name) is in the know too.

I'll give you the point

I'm tired of hogging this quiz

Dr. Lawn, Vetinari, Vimes (himself), Carcer, Lu-Tze and sweepers assistant (no name given), Qu, the brother who was the pawn broker (Sun Moon or something like that) and there is a suspicion that their boss (shagged if I can remember his name) is in the know too.

How can you ever, ever be tired of hogging a thread? It's so much fun!

Complete the sentence. "I didn't think I'd survive that, not after..."
    Also tell me what the reply was.

It's not very interesting, but I'm feeling a bit down, so that's okay.

How can you ever, ever be tired of hogging a thread? It's so much fun!

It's not very interesting, but I'm feeling a bit down, so that's okay.

I have a confession to make, I don't have all the answers, there are times when I ask my wife (who introduced me to discworld and knows more about it than I do) and other times when I Google search, but my questions and answers are all mine.

Which book was your quote from, it sounds like one from Men-at-arms.

I have a confession to make, I don't have all the answers, there are times when I ask my wife (who introduced me to discworld and knows more about it than I do) and other times when I Google search, but my questions and answers are all mine.

Which book was your quote from, it sounds like one from Men-at-arms.

Yep, hit the wossname on the head. It's so odd, talking to people on forums, because you assume they're all the same age as you and in the same situation - you're married, and i'm 15. I don't use google so much as the discworld wiki - and my beautiful, treasured copy of "the discworld companion". Most beloved book.

Yep, hit the wossname on the head. It's so odd, talking to people on forums, because you assume they're all the same age as you and in the same situation - you're married, and i'm 15. I don't use google so much as the discworld wiki - and my beautiful, treasured copy of "the discworld companion". Most beloved book.

You mean you cheat!!!

I'll dig the book out and have a look through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

>_<

>_<

Which meaning do you have in mind for this >_<

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%3E_%3C

You mean you cheat!!!

I'll dig the book out and have a look through it.

I DO NOT!

I look things up if I don't know them, BUT THEN I DO NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION. I say "oh, damn should've got that one, what a silly wossname i am" and wait till someone else does.
    I would never DREAM of tainting my good reputation.

Plus, it's handy for thinking up questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

i'm with S.T.L on this one... if it took me those few hours to rifle throught the book i'd do it, never resort to a web page or a companion book which you know has all the answers!

Whats the latest question?
    haven't been here for a while...

• Advertisement

Zageroth wrote: »
    i'm with S.T.L on this one... if it took me those few hours to rifle throught the book i'd do it, never resort to a web page or a companion book which you know has all the answers!

Whats the latest question?
    haven't been here for a while...

Here's the latest question from Queen Molly and it's from Men-at-arms

and who the f... is S.T.L?

Advertisement