Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for incoming MMS?

• 16-06-2003 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you get charged for incoming mms? A friend is sending me stuff through nowmms.com, and it arrives just fine? i havent reconfigured my phone (when i get an mms it's downloading it over GPRS from mms.vodafone.net AP) I dont get charged when i get an MMS from a vodafone user so im guessing (hoping!!) it's the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You almost certainly will get charged for downloading MMS content that comes from a third-party MMS gateway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As far as I know, the third party will have to have an agreement with your operator (Vodafone in this case) in order to charge you. For example the way the short premium text codes work.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    As far as I know, the third party will have to have an agreement with your operator (Vodafone in this case) in order to charge you. For example the way the short premium text codes work.
    No you misunderstand - one would get charged for downloading MMS content as one would with WAP content over GPRS, as that is in effect what one is doing. It would be the operator and not the seervice providor charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Corinthian it is planned that the MMS size be related to the charge. Also an interconnect agreement is in place and will be launced around July 20th.

There will be no seperate GRPS charge on the MMS message but the actual size will determine the cost of the message in scaling chunks

0-30kb Low rate
    30-60kb Medium rate
    60+ Preium rate.

the GPRS section of the calls will be zero-rated over the APN.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Right, this looks like it's really open to abuse, if someone uses a free web service such as nowmms.com they could send you a whole load of jpg's they can run up a large bill on you as you cant stop incoming MMS. Im already worried about my bill now, my friend send me a load of jpg's

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Emmo
    Corinthian it is planned that the MMS size be related to the charge. Also an interconnect agreement is in place and will be launced around July 20th.

There will be no seperate GRPS charge on the MMS message but the actual size will determine the cost of the message in scaling chunks
    That looks suspiciously like your separate GRPS charge will be rebranded as an interconnect agreement (especially if you consider the size related scale). Of course, that would still not explain if that would be the approach taken by all the operators.

On a somewhat related note, one thing that would interest me to know; is O2 dropping third party WAP push messages that arrive at their SMSC?

as in SMS spam or valid third party content?

Sure how would I know? :rolleyes:

Emmo

as in SMS spam or valid third party content?
    Any 8-bit SMS that identifies itself as a WAP push Service Indicator/Loader, that originates from a non-O2 SMSC.

Spam SMS is only blocked after complaints, and only from a particular originating MSISDN or SMSC. On the other hand, there appears to be a blanket ban on all WAP push messages with O2 (I suppose in fairness the same question goes out to Vodafone).

Are we back to the old 'Walled Garden' we had with WAP in 1999?

Of course, I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking...
    Sure how would I know? :rolleyes:
    I wonder... :rolleyes:

Not to my knowledge no but you might be onto something, just one related question..........

When did you notice the problem?

I only ask cause o2 might have made some changes recently with their APN's and variable charging platform..........If only someone knew

Emmo

When did you notice the problem?
    About 2 months ago, while running tests on a WAP push proxy server.
    I only ask cause o2 might have made some changes recently with their APN's and variable charging platform..........If only someone knew
    :D

• Advertisement

2 months ago sounds about right for the time to make changes.

If I was you and as patient as you I would revisit the situation in the first 2 weeks in July. Things are bound to have changed by then, I guess.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know for certain that when receiving content from the MMS.VODAFONE.IE APN, customers will not be charged at all. At the moment this is the way it stands until they begin rolling out new services.

Advertisement