Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats robbie keanes problem

• 16-06-2003 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that keane has a serious problem when it comes to going for a 50-50 ball.
    In every match i have seen him play there are occasions when if he tried a little harder instead of turning around to the ref, throwing a tantrum and looking for a free, he could have chased the ball and maybe gotten something from it.
    I'm getting really tired of seeing him do this.
    Not only does he lose posession, he's getting a reputation as a moaner and diver.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Not only does he lose posession, he's getting a reputation as a moaner and diver.

I'm sorry but i've never heard anyone calling him either of those,you should be glad Ireland have a striker of his quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

sposs,
    you must be living in a different country to me.
    I've heard it countless times.
    Watch the matches though and you'll see it for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

sposs,
    you must be living in a different country to me.
    I've heard it countless times.
    Watch the matches though and you'll see it for yourself

Well Irish football supporters do have a tendancy to moan alot. ;)

I agree with Sposs ... we should be glad we have someone of his skill in our team.

I go to and watch the matches and all i see is a quality irish player that has scored more goals for ireland than any other 22 year old and will go on to smash the irish record,so shut up you tosser and have a go at kilbane or breen someone who deserves some flak!!!!

Try and look at it from an objective point of view,
    I agree he's an excellent player.
    I'm just pointing out a fault in his game.
    Sorry for hurting your feelings guys.
    Now wipe those tears away and cheer up.

• Advertisement

Try and look at it from an objective point of view,
    I agree he's an excellent player.
    I'm just pointing out a fault in his game.
    Sorry for hurting your feelings guys.
    Now wipe those tears away and cheer up.

lol .... im always in a cheerful mood! :D

Anyway .... objectively, Irish supporters are far too critical imo. Robbie Keane has 16 international goals to his name. If all our players had that scoring record, we'd be top of our group and would have qualified already.

Let me try put it another way.
    Keane is an amazing player, he has a fantastic scoring record and WILL break the record.
    I'ld love 10 of him.
    Now here's my point, if he chased the balled instead of turning around to the ref he would get MORE goals.
    thats all i'm trying to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

irish people over rate keane.
    he has a fantastic scoring record and WILL break the record.

im taking it you mean country here and not club football...

the most goals robbie keane has scored in one season in english football is 15, and that was for wolves in the first division

:rolleyes:

i dont personally rate him what so ever, and to hear the amount of irish people i do play him up to be some great striker is just kind of pìssin me off now, hes decent dont get me wrong, an average striker if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

FFS Sposs, he's one of our better players, no question, but he's not and should not be exempt from criticism.

My main problem with him is that he doesn't know when to pass the ball. That said, he needs stability in his club career, and maybe then he'll really unlock his true international pedigree.

Originally posted by Big Chief
    irish people over rate keane.

im taking it you mean country here and not club football...

the most goals robbie keane has scored in one season in english football is 15, and that was for wolves in the first division

:rolleyes:

i dont personally rate him what so ever, and to hear the amount of irish people i do play him up to be some great striker is just kind of pìssin me off now, hes decent dont get me wrong, an average striker if anything.

Well, in terms of Irish international strikers, hes one of the best we've ever had. His record speaks of itself. I personally do rate him ... and think he is more than just average. Hopefully he'll stay injury free, and can spearhead Ireland through to the Euro Champs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Cheif,you seem to be forgetting that Keane also scored 15 goals this season, in the premier division..

I certaintly dont think he's over-rated, he's a fantastic player and a priceless asset to the irish international setup

Don't forget he's still only 22 as well,which means he's nowhere near his best and has another 10-12 years at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

To anyone criticising Keane,

He's only 22 and has 16 goals for his country.
    Niall Quinn scored only 21 goals for his country after an extremely long career in the green shirt...........nuff said!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Robbie only got 14 this season, but the plus side is there was only actually 3 english strikers who scored more (2 if you count Owen as Welsh and 1 if you discount Shearer because he has retired from international football). He's the best striker that we've had in a long time and what's more he actually takes his chances at international level.

He is not beyond criticism though. If nobody criticises then he will have less of an idea of what area of his game needs improving and developing. Of course this criticism should be done by himself and his managers and coaches (and in private).

Having said that, it's easy to be a critic - he drops deep too often. He's great at dribbling past people but doesn't release it soon enough - end's up losing the ball. Very hard worker but doesn't need to get into wide positions so often. As for the diving I hadn't really noticed myself but I'll watch out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

let me know next time some of you biys are on tele playing for the ol' sod, because id love to come down and support you.....

I think the point im trying to make is yes he has alot of faults to his game but what 22 year old doesn't?

Roy keane wasn't half the player he was when he was 22 that he is now and that applies to every great footballer there's been with the exception of pele etc,so get off his back give a break and watch him become one of the best strikers in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

First of all - great thread.

Second of all. I think Robbie Keane is a great player and all the points about his game above are valid.

I think one of the reasons that maybe (and I hadnt noticed) that he might be shirking on the 50/50's is this:

When a player gets a reputation for being a good goal scorer, more often then not other players will just try and hack the sh*t out of him rather than go for the ball.

maybe he has good sense and when he can beat them fair and square he does, and when he sees a defender coming steaming in with drool running down his face and his studs sharpened he rightly gets out of the way ?

I didn't mean to start a thread arguing about Keane i just wanted to know was it just me or
    HAs anybody noticed him just turning around to the ref as if the ref owes him a free?
    I have seen him do this at least twice every game.
    I have no doubt he will get better as well.
    He and Duff are going to be pretty amazing when they get to around 28 or so.

I didn't mean to start a thread arguing about Keane i just wanted to know was it just me or
    HAs anybody noticed him just turning around to the ref as if the ref owes him a free?

I think its just you mate! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

BIG CHIEF

Well we will take last year as an example. He missed about a month at the start of the season until he joined spurs. He was injured for about another month.

He scored 14 goals this season in the premiership from open play.

Considering he is not an out and out striker like Van Nist. that's not a bad record.

Van Nist. scored 17 from open play this season in the PL.

I think he is a quality forward and if he got more scrappy goals he would easily make it in the top 5 striker in the PL.

• Advertisement

Also he did not take the penalties for Spurs last year. At least a few of Van Nistlerooy's were from the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im not entirely sure but i was under the impression the stat of 15 goals included the fa cup etc aswell, although as i say im not entirely sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

well lets just say spurs weren't the georgie best in the cups this year. lost against soton at the first hurdle 4-0 so you could say it does include them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

The OLNY bad thing about his game and sometimes it's not such a bad thing, he's very selfish and sometimes does TOO much, which has been pointed out by decent pundets and a few morons like dunphy, sometimes it's best to keep it simple he's young he'll learn this, and anyone that *thinks* he's an average striker, is obviously a donkey eeee haaaaw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The only problem is that when he does go down or turn to the ref he doesn't get the free, unlike duff ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by ciano
    I think its just you mate! :p

Its not just DaithiSurfer, I 've noticed this for a few years now, Keane is the best striker this country has had since...? but he is a moaner. If you're always lokking to the ref with your arms outstreched in indignation "awwww c'mon ref! etc" it looks bad and distracts from the main reason you're there to score goals.

This was noted in an article in the Sunday Tribune yesterday which maybe is what got DS thinking...

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He's been like that ever since he spent his three months in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D They know diving and complaining when they see it!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

robbie keane is a moaner which is unfortunate because he is the best ireland have. if anybody remembers ireland v turkey in dublin that night, keane got booked for dissent. as a result he missed the away leg and ireland failed to go through.

There is no doubt keane moans to the ref, watch him in the next game

• Advertisement

I Also remember he scored a cracking goal to give us a two-nil lead.

Originally posted by Sposs
    I Also remember he scored a cracking goal to give us a two-nil lead.
    It's annoying the way some top players can self destruct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Keane is a oaner, a side of him I don't like, but am willing to put up with it.

I personally don;t think any club has found the perfect position for him. He has a great goal scoring ability, but wants to be on the ball so much that he is usally dragged out of position because of frustration.

I like a striker who can hold up a ball - but in the right places!!! Which I don't think keane does very well.

Keane has a lot to learn, but because of his high status since his teenage years, I don;t think he has got to work with a truly great striker tha he could learn from??? has he??? tell me if im wrong.

Most other strikers either learn from a decent coach or by working closely with another striker.

I was always a huge fan of Mark Hughes, I loved the way he could hold up the ball etc. When Andy cole came to united I think ferguson expected him to have a little of mark hughes in him. It didnt suit cole for years, until the last seaon at united when I thought he was doing the job perfectly.

Anyway going abit off topic - my point..... Keane has a lot to learn, but he is an immensly talented youngster and I hope someone will be there to teach him something beofre its too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think the main problem with Keane is that he hasn't been around long enough at a club to build up a partnership with anyone.

This is an important part of the learning curve for any great player. It's a real pity that Teddy Sheringham wasn't 2 or 3 years younger.

If Keane could have played with him for a few years I think he would improve immeasurably.

The only flaw with Keane is his decision making. You can't fault him for any other part of his game. Decision making is something that will improve with experience and time.

About him being a moaner. Thats not a bad thing. Niall Quinn was constantly moaning to the referee. It's part of the strikers art to make the ref aware of whats going on. He's not exactly abusing the ref or anything he's just pointing out what's happening to him.

For example do you think that Quinn would have got that penalty in the world cup against spain if he didn't draw the refs attention to it.

Originally posted by colster
    For example do you think that Quinn would have got that penalty in the world cup against spain if he didn't draw the refs attention to it.

Good point. If the player never complains then he wont get half as many free kicks/penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

according to niall quinn in his autobiography, he didnt even know his shirt was being pulled, all he heard was the ref blowing his whistle, and he thought it was against one of the irish, but then saw him pointing to the spot.

• Advertisement

Niall Quinn gave away as many free kicks as he was awarded - completly different situation to Keane - Quinn got fouled for just standing still waiting for the ball to land on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>if anybody remembers ireland v turkey in dublin that night, keane got booked for dissent. as a result he missed the away leg and ireland failed to go through.

I remember that, but I remember Keane looking over to McCarthy minuted before that, and seeing Mick arguing with an official over something trivial. Bad example to be setting to a young player.

Originally posted by Bateman
    >if anybody remembers ireland v turkey in dublin that night, keane got booked for dissent. as a result he missed the away leg and ireland failed to go through.

I would hardly blame the fact we didnt go through on one of our youngest players at the time,we didnt go through because the 11 players that night were not good enough.we were also missing roy keane that night,and mick played cascarino as a lone striker ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Lads I am sure Robbie would be the first to admit that he is not the complete perfect player, but then there is only one Zidane. Do you not think you are being a bit harsh on Robbie. He has finally found a club he can settle at and play regular first team ball now, and it is from here on that he should be measured.

Originally posted by Waylander
    He has finally found a club he can settle at and play regular first team ball now, and it is from here on that he should be measured.
    Are you propossing that we measure things that haven't happened yet?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by Sposs
    I would hardly blame the fact we didnt go through on one of our youngest players at the time,we didnt go through because the 11 players that night were not good enough.we were also missing roy keane that night,and mick played cascarino as a lone striker ffs.

we were missing roy keane for the first leg. the second leg cascarino played up on his own cause quinns back was f**ked and no robbie.

i wasnt blaming keane for ireland not going through but just pointing out the cost of moaning to the ref.

Advertisement