Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoki - Alternative to Cod

• 16-06-2003 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I heard an ad on the radio weeks ago about Hoki, a fish that tastes identical to Cod but is in plentiful supply and is not threatened in any way. BirdsEye were doing it.. So i said it to my mum to look out for it..

Anyway she got some and we love it... been eating it ever since instead of Cod!! It tastes the same if not better but we can rest in the knowledge we are not endangering Cod which is way overfished.

Check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

I work opposite the dail and there was a big protest a while back with a load of people with signs trying to convince us to eat Hoki.

I definitely go for it,

save the cod !! kill the Hoki....erm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

LOL :D

Its not like save the whales!
    Its simple economics... Cod is overfished! If it keeps up there will not be any more Cod. So if everyone or at least a lot of people eat Hoki instead.. it lets the Cod stocks grow again before its wiped out.

Im not a fish person... i eat tuna, maybe Salmon and also some Cod and now Hoki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

those hoki fish fingers are very taste, ditto with the steaks - as good as cod any day

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

Originally posted by Saruman
    LOL :D

Its not like save the whales!
    Its simple economics... Cod is overfished! If it keeps up there will not be any more Cod. So if everyone or at least a lot of people eat Hoki instead.. it lets the Cod stocks grow again before its wiped out.

Im not a fish person... i eat tuna, maybe Salmon and also some Cod and now Hoki.

nah saruman I was being a prick, I think its a good Idea.
    cod will smile and point and laugh at the hoki.
    at the end of the day it will hopefully save the cod from extinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Cod tastes really bland anyway. Ppl eat cod cos it was traditionally a cheap fish - now we've eaten it all, it isn't cheap anymore. There are far better fishies out there.

Sea trout done right is gorgeous and cheap as muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Cod used to be cheap but due to overfishing (and demand) isn't anymore - that's why Birds Eys are promoting Hoki.

The thought of the Cod pointing and laughing at the Hoki is good!

As for Cod being bland, that's simply not true, fresh cod is delicious, and I mean fresh, not what a chipper sells as 'fresh' What has happened is that as the cod stocks have diminished, the trawlers have had to stay out longer and go to deeper water to find the fish, as a result the fish is part/fully frozen on the trawler.

Unfortunately the structure of fish is such that it losses much more taste and texture if frozen, much more so than meats like beef. This is why Cod seems to be bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

had these.
    just as nice as cod.
    or is it all kiwi propoganda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

While I've never tasted it myself, I have heard from quite a lot of people that there is a much stronger taste from Hoki than cod and that basically it wasn't half as nice. Maybe its just because most of those people are not big fish eaters but they do eat a load of cod fish fingers.

Advertisement