Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Marine kills unarmed man for being "anti-american".

Options
  • 16-06-2003 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Police: Iraq remark led to killing

I've seen some pretty screwed-up stories regarding interaction between pro-war and anti-war people in the states, but this one takes the biscuit in the "one-on-one" category...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mellor's attorney has filed paperwork indicating the Lake Worth civil engineer intends to use an insanity defense if the case goes to trial.

Should of went for the 'Patroitic' plea, no one could convict him then.

Actually I was curious how this one below was going to turn out...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111145,00.asp

Especially after the tactics used is what got Mitnick free lodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Good grief :(
    I mean, I'm getting used to fairly bizzare stories coming from the US from reading Unknown News but this guy blocked one of the few arabic news sources on the war from the entire world (at least via the internet), and he gets probation, community service and a fine?
    Justice is most certainly peeking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

thats hilarious. You didn't miss much. Al Jazeera is just as biased as Fox News.

vorbis,
    Two things arise from that:
    1) Since the bias was in the opposite direction to Fox, watching both would seem better than just watching one, no?
    2) If that guy had hacked Fox or CBS or ABC's website, would he be getting such a slap on the wrist of a sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If someone blocked FOX News ("Your voice for evil"- Simpsons) from the whole world I would do their community service for them:D

• Advertisement

in the end up, al jazeera was available on cable in some parts of America. Honestly though, most people were watching it only for novelty value. Its different to our own tv to see the news broadcaster outrightly condemning the Americans at the start of the news bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by vorbis
    in the end up, al jazeera was available on cable in some parts of America. Honestly though, most people were watching it only for novelty value. Its different to our own tv to see the news broadcaster outrightly condemning the Americans at the start of the news bulletin.

And this somehow makes hijacking the domain of an internationally recognised news agency a negligible misdemeanour???

The simple fact is that while the US will seek to have foreigners prosecuted for what they see as breaches of US law when it comes to "technology abuse" (DECSS, the hacking of Adobe's e-book format, etc.), when it comes to an American hacking a foreigner's site....thats not worth talking about.

jc

al jazeera may be the other end of Fox News spectrum (doubtful, I would of said CNN), they do report stories that western countries do not touch or tone down.

I would prefer to hear both sides, then one side.

Actually I'm surprised they didn't go further as Hacking is now classed as a terrorist act in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dangerousdave

Al-Jazeera is actually less biased than FOX News, at least that is according to BBC World Affairs Correspondant, John Simpson. He was in Iraq himself and is one of the most respected journalists in the world.

• Advertisement

well I suppose Al Jazeera are free to seek to have a greater sentence imposed on the hacker. Basically as always it is an issue of self-interest. For instance, regarding the decss case the norweigan gov. didn't really care about it and so didn't want to prosecute him. Thats the same stance the US adopted via Al Jazeera. (Personally I was delighted that the RIAA lost their case aganist the decss hacker)

If Al Jazeera is less biased, then I would love to watch Fox News. Their news team were almost in mourning that some Iraqis were glad to see the Americans.

vorbis, maybe you should watch an hour or so of Fox news.
    Just be sure to do so with the appropriate protective equipment - ie. barf bag to hand, bull**** detector sensitivity turned waaaay down to prevent overloading, and remote taped into your hand so you can change channels.

Hell, at least with A-J, you were seeing actual footage from Iraq, rather than Geraldo ...

The US has loads of good news stations.

Fox News is not one of them. Daily show gives more accurate news then Fox News.

AJ where the first to report about the US accidently dropping bombs into an Iraqi market place, and showed extremly graphic pictures. Western news only posted about it after the fact and they scaled down the pictures a lot. They were also the ones to report that the alleged uprising in a certain town was complete fabrication while every western news site lapped it up as gospel.

I believe they are funded by the government but on the condition that no one in the Arab world is allowed influence them. It's about as close to news as you will get there (and not opinion pieces).

Oddly enough during the Iraq war they had a news piece (and pictures) of a scene where a US tank had shot a shell into an ammunitions dump which then exploded and took out most of the neighbourhood. Wasn't reported at all in western news. Then about 2-3 weeks later a similar incident was reported in the exact same neighbourhood (was on Sky news).

Here's an intresting article about FOX btw.. Impartial? :rolleyes:
    http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,951169,00.html

Hobbes, it's not so much bias you need to worry about with US news - it's outright lying. Because, thanks to the legal team at Fox, it's not illegal to broadcast a complete fabrication as news. Of course, if you suffer as a result of this, and you have enough money, you could take them to court and you might just be able to have an appellate court ruling overturned and get a retraction printed some years later...
    :rolleyes:

http://www.sierratimes.com/03/02/28/arpubmg022803.htm

Advertisement