Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lieing to my insurance company

Options
  • 16-06-2003 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

If i lie on my form for insurance, by giving a country address ie Cork, when i really live in dublin. Whats the likeliness of getting stung? and whats the penalty if caught doing so, could i not just claim that ive recently moved to dublin, and when i applied i was living in Cork. Is there anything they can do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Being economical with the truth is not something insurance companies like to say the least, naturally they take the view that if you lie on any given matter you can lie about everything else.

What advantage do you hope gain by stating Cork as your location? I'm not sure it'll make much difference on premiums.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

You will get away with it right up until the point where you have an accident, whereupon your insurance company will gleefully rub their hands together (if/when they find out) and invalidate your policy on the grounds of non disclosure. It won't add that much to your premium in the end and its definately not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

What advantage do you hope gain by stating Cork as your location?

It reduces my third party insurance on a moped from €1481 to €645

I have relations in Cork, so i can give their address (i have their consent) can i not just say at the time of applying i was living with them in Cork, as my company has a branch out there, and i moved back to Dublin. or if i have an accident in dublin, just say that i was visiting ???

A mate of mine does it, he saves €2000 on insurance. And he got summoned by the police,(for a ticket) to go down to the police station, and present his licence and insurce forms. licence says Dublin, and insurance says Cork. And the police did'nt say a word !
    I don't know if this was incompetence on the guards part.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ehh, I don't think it's a good idea to advocate this on boards tbh.

Ehh, I don't think it's a good idea to advocate this on boards tbh.

If the mod objects, please take it down, i don't wanna cause hassel for boards.ie

But its not set in stone, I most likely wont do it (up-standing citizen) but im just interested, What the outcome would be if i did, or if anyone else is doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

If you do this and get caught out by the gardai you might also find yourself getting landed with 5 penalty points as well (which will definately increase your premium)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by Silent Bob
    If you do this and get caught out by the gardai you might also find yourself getting landed with 5 penalty points as well (which will definately increase your premium)

Is there a cutoff point for insurance increases based on points, eg does >0 = higher insurance?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by jammy_dodger
    It reduces my third party insurance on a moped from €1481 to €645

:eek: I understand why you're tempted, but the thing that would go me awake is the thought of being found out.

Thats a shocking difference I'd love to know how the insurance company came up with those numbers.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

You stand less chance of getting away with a scam like that on a moped, as it's highly unlikely that you will actually travel from cork to dublin on a moped. Which could raise suspicion straight away. I know poeple who did it but had an address in kildare.

As said before it's all well until you have an accident then the trouble starts.

I dont really condone this but the fact that so many people try it should scream out the government that insurance prices are too high if poeple are willing to take such a risk

ive decided against it, i got a bit swept away with the whole cheaper insurance buzz.
    However its a shocking difference in price, very tempting but not worth screwing up you premium, credit rating ect for a couple bucks.

It would be nice to see an insurance company getting screwed over.
    The ba$tards

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jammy_dodger
    ive decided against it, i got a bit swept away with the whole cheaper insurance buzz.
    However its a shocking difference in price, very tempting but not worth screwing up you premium, credit rating ect for a couple bucks.

It would be nice to see an insurance company getting screwed over.
    The ba$tards

I know exactly what you mean. What gets me is that there doesn't seem to be any great reason for Dublin premia to be so high. I would imagine most collisions are low speed (it's not like you can speed around the city roads even if you wanted to) with only vehicular damage (this costs way less than hurting a person).

Road deaths seem (I'm basing this on what I hear on the news, I don't have figures, as usual:) but I imagine Victor would) to happen more often at night on country roads.

The only thing I can think of to increase the premia here is theft. But is there really more percentage theft here than in Cork/Limerick?

Of course you could take the cynical view that since so many people live in Dublin the insurance co's stand to make a lot of money...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Also bear in mind that if your moped is stolen up in Dublin, they will start asking a lot of questions.

The only thing I can think of to increase the premia here is theft

Those stas were just based on 3rd party, not even fully comp, So i would'nt even be covered for theft, so technically that shouldn't be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only thing I can think of to increase the premia here is theft. But is there really more percentage theft here than in Cork/Limerick?
    Afaik, proportionally more bikes are stolen in Dublin, as well as there being a ****e load more bikes in the city. So the insurance co's use this to justify an increase in premiums across the board. TPO or Full Comp makes no difference. TPO in Dublin is more expensive to subsidise robberies, despite there being proportionally less money paid out in Dublin crash claims.

You'll notice that the difference between TPO & fully comp is roughly the same across the entire country. Dublin is just more expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i rememeber getting my insurance on my car. They quoted me €3300. They taught I lived in Monaghan but I told them that I lived in Dublin, I'm now paying €4609. I would of saved 1300 if i kept my mouth shut, but there's always the chance of getting caught

The most annoying thing is that you will probably never see that money ever again.

I don't mind paying lots of money for something I use, it gets my goat that we fork out loads to insurance co's and will probably never use their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Keith@modified

We are being shafted big time for insurance here.

I have my car insured in Meath @ my girlfriends address its roughly €350 cheaper then at my address yet my girlfriends house is 7 miles away ! How the hell did they compute that one?

I would agree claiming you live in Cork rather then Dublin and you drive a moped is pushing the boat out a bit far. But where cars are concerned they would have to do a bit of digging to find out the truth i.e where u work etc etc.

I reckon personaly I wouldn't have a problem doing it if it would save you a few € as your paying 10x over the odds anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine the profile between moped users in Cork (younger women) and Dublin (muppets who don't use helmets) are quite different.
    Road deaths seem (I'm basing this on what I hear on the news, I don't have figures, as usual:) but I imagine Victor would) to happen more often at night on country roads.
    Actually not quite. Accidents are spread though the day with a peak in the evening rush hour (despite more people in the morning rush hour). Late at night you get a fewer accidents, but they tend to be severe and disproportionate to numbers on the road. Most accidents happen on straight roads in good conditions during the day in OK vehicles - only one factor goes wrong and bang.

Advertisement