Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express prob

Options
  • 16-06-2003 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So recently(in the last 2 or 3 days ) haven't been able to open attachments that i get on emails. it just says the following

outlookx_prob.gif

whats the story??

(of course i realise this is an older email but it still doesn't work with newer ones either)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Have you recently upgraded to XP SP1?. I think I had a similar problem. Try going to Tools/Options then select the Security tab.

There should be a box saying something along the lines of ' Do no open attachments that could be a virus' or words to that effect. Uncheck the box.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i had the same problem, i think i fixed it by temprarily changing the security level in internet explorer.
    tools/internet options/security.
    i think i normally have it on medium & switch it to low whenever i want to open an attatchment that's not a zip or image file.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

With BugBear running rampent and he want's to open attachements ....

"you were right Mr Spock there is no intelligent life on this planet one to beam aboard..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Update your virus definations, then go to your security tab and change the settings, if i was you i would make sure i know who sent the emails with attachments in it before opening them up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    With BugBear running rampent and he want's to open attachements ....

"you were right Mr Spock there is no intelligent life on this planet one to beam aboard..."
    Maybe he wants to open legitimate attachments. That "feature" of OE seems to block nearly every type of attachment from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

the atachments are just word files mostly and i have my virus definetions up to date. I did recently get sp1(a few weeks ago) and i have changed the the secruity settings on IE so i'll check that and the other thing ye said to do and see if it fixs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

What ArthurG said about the security tab usually does the trick:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE:" if i was you i would make sure i know who sent the emails with attachments in it before opening them up. "

Most email viruses get the Name / Subject / Attachment name from the victims mailbox

Since I am someone who only uses OE to convert Address Books from X400 default to SMTP default addresses -

So does anyone know how to make OE show you who the real sender of an email is without opening it .....

(remember the good ole *.eml auto-infect problem... )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

In OE you should be able to go to TOOLS>> OPTIONS >> SECURITY and you can uncheck the box that says "remove potentially dangerous attachments"

This should not be removed unless you have antivirus installed and updated. As it will allow any attachments to be delivered to you. You can also turn off the preview pane in the inbox, which should stop most attachment type viruses from running by using exploits.

Advertisement