Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

War on Iraq Propoganda

• 16-06-2003 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Is anyone else digusted at the level of propoganda witnessed in the wwe recently regarding recent world events? During the war, every week we saw a new wrestler visit some kind of army base, while the ring anouncers (more king and jr than Micheal Cole and tazz) shouted their support for the war. Then, we see that god awful scott steiner have a debate with chris nowinski, where chris basically said everything the rest of the world was thinking while scott mouthed off about patriotism and refered to France as Hell. I know its all an act but come on! Next week, we see nice close ups of signs in the crowds saying "France Sucks"! But wait, theres more! The introduction of La Resistance made me physically sick. Here are two talented wrestlers (one of them the youngest person to ever receive a wwe contract, Sylvan Grenier i think) who were introduced just to Widen the gap of hatred between France and the USA. Where is the justice in that? Its one of the reasons why I prefer Smackdown!

By the way, Bad Blood was terribly dissapointing. Not one of the match ups entertained me. COME BACK JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the americans are a bunch of slack jawed asshole.s ......... they have no sence of right and wrong ...... after all if someone went on the wwe "show" and said "all black people should feck off home" etc etc etc .. their would be no end of up roar BUT because it,s the "enemy" (even though the french are compleaty right) Their,s no problum in the racism .

The americans need to grow up (although it commonly know their notting much more than a bunch of low iq fat idioits)

And unless you havent notices I SUPPORT THE FRENCH AND THE EU :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

A few harsh words there mate. I dont hate them, i just think they are extremely patriotic, which can lead you into trouble sometimes. Its ironic however that you should use the analogy of black and white people and racism. Just look at Rodney Mac with his 5min white boy challenge. Its things like that, that widen cultural gaps, and create misunderstandings.

Once again i have to say, COME BACK JEFF!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I can understand the way they hate the French after the way they wanted to stop the war to make money of the Hussan regime put there racial crap is going to far for televison raitings. This whole thing with Rodney Mack as a heel is basically saying that any black man who wants to get a fair share of the glory is a bastard, thats just wrong and will create a devide in the fans as some black ppl cheer for him and all the white ppl boo him. The way they exploite that one legged kid on Smackdown is discraceful, Vince Macmahon will do anything for money, and its sick.
    Bad Blood Sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

WWE have a history of jumping on any bandwagon possible, with the idea of putting asses in the seats

1) Nation of Domination/Los Borricus (sp?)
    Gang of "minority" groups who feel overlooked by "the man"

2) Nation of Domination vs Hart Foundation
    Cheap anti-Canadian heat - especially when HBK on Raw indicated that that HF sprayed racist comments in a locker room as part of the angle - which Bret Hart has mentioned made him feel uncomfortable

3)Stupid angles - Mark Henry/Transexual, or Mark Henry/Mae Young (who gave "birth" to a hand)
    Really pointless and tasteless angles that did little or nothing for the wrestlers involved

4)Necrohpilia angle - HHH using his backstage pull to get an angle written in that all but crushed any idea of Kane replacing him as champ - terribly pointless and stupid

5)La Resistance and general anti-French campaign run by Bradshaw through his wwe.com coloumn
    Again another bandwagon that the wwe will jump on. Granted that some Americans have an anti-French attitude, but to take that and exploit in, in the vain hope of generating heat or even raising viewership is just pointless

And as we have all seen pointless angles and even gimmicks, leave it very difficult for wrestlers to climb back up the ladder.

The only wrestler that spring to mind who did recover from a bad gimmick was HHH, but that was only after Brian Pillman died, and Vince McMahon was forced to realise that campy gimmicks weren't pulling in the fans

There is a general feeling that Vinny Mac ideas and angles for the WWE may result in a "WCW". The problem is that a)he has the final say in all angles and storylines b)he hates to be confronted over obvious bad ideas (that is why Paul heyman was removed as head writer, which is again why the Smackdown writing has been going downhill slowly) and c) he is still thinks that when ratings decline he has to force hismelf back onto the show in some form or other - personally I would prefer to see Shane McMahon, simply because we havent seen him in over a year, else we are foced to look at Vince and Steph week in and week out (and that does nothing for the ratings)

The other problem is that WWE takes a short term angle - Vince/Piper/Hogan and drags it out, with the blind idea that it makes good television - it doesnt, the angle has become stale and boring, while other wrestlers are getting shifted left and right with no real direction and that is where WWE' problems lie, IMO

And Sean101 - "bring back jeff" - yeah right thats not going to happen for a long, long time - Jeff was released because he failed or refused a second drug test that the WWE made him take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

Yeah, I totally agree with the whole bad story line idea. Nothing recently on either raw or smackdown seems to entertain. I feel like im watching just for the sake of watching not because i look forward to some good ol fashioned rasslin. But, we can do nothin about it. All we can do is hope that macmahon realises whats happening to the wwe and that he takes fast and effective action.

With regards jeff, there is no denying that i would love to see him come back. The drugs test thing was bad, but perhaps it was just a well timed reason for him to leave. In his book, he does make reference to how his heart doesnt seem to be in the business anymore, and even Edge, Matt, Christian and Y2J agreed. Plus, he felt an overbearing weight on his shoulders, as fans expected the best from him (swanton bombs off 20 foot ladders every night). I think it was too much for him, especially for someone so young in the business, and he's taken an oppertunity for a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lad,s honestly though ...... i know i am anti - american But it hasnt been like that all my life i used to love the USA crist i still like some of their stuff (star trek etc) . BUT its clear for all to see they (the americans) have no morals when it come,s to TV (and recently politic,s though that has notting to do with here).Look at wwe and all the crap that has been pointed out in this post .Look at jerry springer and other rubbish like it .

The americans are kid,s and the tv they watch reflects that no story line,s (for the most part) easy to understand and propaganda to make them feel good :rolleyes:

Wrestilen is a good laugh when rubbish like french racisism (which let,s be honest is racisim againt the EU) that "white boy" fight and the old gay story line,s arent in it.

"please dont take this as a attack against anyone that watchs wwe just saying it as i see it :) "

Advertisement