Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help setting up basic wireless connection

• 17-06-2003 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd imagine it has been posted on boards.ie before, but I couldn't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Need to setup basic wireless connection between 2 PC's in a residential house (in-law's). What hardware do I need and can you recommend reliable reasonable value components, preferably from Komplett?. Both PC's are XP and both have ethernet.
    At the mo they use analog dialup to connect to the internet and they probably will for the near future.

Second question then is would I need other or additional hardware when they would decide to go ADSL - I would think they can just connect the ADSL modem to 1 PC (ethernet or USB)and share the connection with XP connection sharing, so no other hardware required, but how does this change if they want to connect to the internet from either PC (regardless of which one is switched on)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i got me some dlink kit from it direct its very easy to install, and up to 4 dlink pci/pcmcia cards will talk together without the need for a router, but u can add one once u get adsl in.

at the moment i have 2 laptops and 2 desktops linked, only using internet connection sharing at the mo (waiting on broadband), i also took the liberty of getting the dlink 604 router +modem +wireless access point for when the line is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Originally posted by unkel
    Need to setup basic wireless connection between 2 PC's in a residential house (in-law's). What hardware do I need and can you recommend reliable reasonable value components, preferably from Komplett?. Both PC's are XP and both have ethernet.
    At the mo they use analog dialup to connect to the internet and they probably will for the near future.

Second question then is would I need other or additional hardware when they would decide to go ADSL - I would think they can just connect the ADSL modem to 1 PC (ethernet or USB)and share the connection with XP connection sharing, so no other hardware required, but how does this change if they want to connect to the internet from either PC (regardless of which one is switched on)

The bare minimum you need to do this is two 802.11b cards that you can plug into your each of your PCs. They should both be set to operate in 'ad-hoc' or 'peer-to-peer' mode. These are pretty common things.

If you only have two machines, you don't really need an Access Point.

To do the connection sharing thing, the easiest thing would be to leave one pc on all the time. If you insist on doing it the other way, you will have to change between the modem and the network for Internet connectivity. Possible, but a pain in the neck.

The problem if you do internet connection sharing is that the computer connected to the phone might stay connected longer than you intend. You have to watch out for this very carefully.

So ADSL is a good solution for you.

However if you get ADSL, try to avoid connecting the ADSL connection directly to the PC, because it won't work if the PC with the connection sharing has been switched off.

it's worth getting a wireless AP which can act as a router and ADSL modem. I would recommend the Netgear http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view= . This is an all-in-one solution to what you are looking for, and you'll be able to avoid buying eircom's or esat's modem.

Alternatively, you can string an ethernet ADSL modem and a router/wireless modem together. It'll work well, but you need to understand and have a good think about the components before you buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,832 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks a mill for your help guys!

So, antoinolachtnai, if they went DSL and bought the http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view= you recommend, I presume either PC when switched on can go on-line irrespective of the other PC being switched on?

Also can you recommend two 802.11b cards from Komplett?

Greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, that's right. Either computer can go on-line without the other one being on-line. Just as long as you leave the Netgear plugged in and switched on all the time. (In technical terms, this is because the Netgear maintains the PPPoE connection with the ISP.)

As for adapters, I guess you want a USB one. What about this one - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=21480&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=19&GrpID=&s=sr ? I don't know anything about it, but it's pretty inexpensive.

The most important difference between a good wireless card and a less good one is the 'receive sensitivity'. Receive sensitivity is described in dBm, as a negative number. The more negative the number, the better the sensitivity. So a card with sensitivity of - 90 dBm is better than a card with sensitivity of - 87 dBm.

A lot of manufacturers don't bother to give the specification for sensitivity. I don't know why.

But for your application, unless you live in a mansion or have reinforced concrete walls, any of these products will probably do what you want just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,832 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks antoinolachtnai - very helpful :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement