Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin: most expensive capital in euroZone

• 17-06-2003 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

HIGH transport and housing costs, high levels of duty on alcohol and tobacco, a strengthening euro and a weak dollar have propelled Dublin up the world-wide cost-of-living index in the past 12 months to make it the most expensive euroZone capital.

London is the most expensive city in the European Union - and the seventh most expensive in the world - according to the annual survey of 144 cities across the world, while Moscow and Geneva are the costliest cities in Europe.

London, Copenhagen and Milan are the EU's costliest cities. Copenhagen moves up to position 15 from 62nd place last year. Milan is ranked 17th, Dublin is in 21st place and Paris is 23rd.

Tokyo is the world's most expensive city, closely followed by Moscow while Asuncion in Paraguay is the world's cheapest.

Dublin has jumped up the world-wide cost-of-living survey to become the most expensive euroZone capital, leaping from 86th place a year ago to 21st this year, according to Mercers' Human Resources.

It means Dublin, the second costliest city in Britain and Ireland, is more expensive than Paris and significantly dearer than Rome, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Brussels, Athens, Barcelona, Hamburg, Madrid, Lyon and Lisbon.

Shocker.

Article here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

well its a good thing at least we also have all the facilities comparable with London, Milan and Copenhagen.
    Our underground is a dream, loads of exhibitions and art gallery's.
    Culture everywhere and a dream of a city to live in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Wook
    well its a good thing at least we also have all the facilities comparable with London, Milan and Copenhagen.
    Our underground is a dream, loads of exhibitions and art gallery's.
    Culture everywhere and a dream of a city to live in.

you're forgetting the amazing M50, the wonderous toll bridges, the magnificent people and the amazing ability to find any type of litter. What a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

yeah, dublin sucks ass big time,

but the problem is mainly with the irish public, they couldnt care less

the VAST majority of them odnt care about the cost of living as long as they have enuff money for their HUGE mortgage, food and a few beers at the end of every week

beyond that they simply dont want to know, so we deserve what we get

tough but fair

there are a lot of people though that don't like the way we're treated by the government, shops, pubs etc but unfortunatly things like boycotts don't work in this country because there may be plenty who would boycott, there are more that won't and that makes things like protests and boycotts impossible. It pisses me off that when there's the threat of a war 10,000 miles away the streets are awash with people protesting but when it comes to their own country and own government they couldn't give a rats arse. So many of these people are willing to travel to G8 summits to protest but their not willing to travel down the road to protest against issues that has affect them and their family's directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

So what can we do to stop the spiralling price hikes? It seems every time I go into a shop these days things cost more than they did the week before. Its got to the point where I don't even know what a reasonable price for a decent meal is anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by mavedic
    So what can we do to stop the spiralling price hikes?

Good question.

Traditional wisdom centered around adjusting your country's interest rate to impact on inflation, sadly, this is not something 'Irish' central government can do.

Perhaps, lowering tax on business would do the trick, or perhaps such a move would just preciptitate a great big money grab by shop keepers and the like.

Take the example of Irish banks, not passing on the Full ECB interest rate reduction to their client's on variable interest rate mortgages.

Unfortunately Irish people have a history of taking things lying down, (within the borders of our 'vaunted' Republic), alot of complaining about the State of things is to be done, but, rue the day, said frustration actually inbibes Irish Joe Soap (x) to do diddly about it.

That's my take anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont agree with London being more expensive that Dublin.
    Dublin is a rip off pure and simple.
    No style,no class unlike London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's not even like things are expensive because of sales tax which, in other countries, is higher because it goes to pay for essential public services. Prices are high because of scheisters who just reckon they can get away with charging through the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah and London's really reasonable once you get out of the city centre. Can of Coke near central tube stop: 60p. Can of Coke in Archway newsagents: 30p.

wages are better in London too and they have a decent public transport system. You can't compare it to Dublin. We have to put up with rediculous prices and a crap City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by mavedic
    So what can we do to stop the spiralling price hikes? It seems every time I go into a shop these days things cost more than they did the week before. Its got to the point where I don't even know what a reasonable price for a decent meal is anymore!

the government could put a cap on insurance claims which are a major reason for high prices.
    people fall in a pub and claim,
    get 10000's,
    they can now afford to pay the high prices charged by the pub the fell down in,
    pub is charging more due to high claims against them

vicious circle stopped by limited claims, will free up courts too.

i am always wary of "price comparisons" made by one country, i dont know if this was. but i often see in british papers that the uk is the most expensive too. seems the gutter press will just chose expensive items in their own country to sell a few papers claiming "our country is a rip off".
    not that ireland isnt all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

On insurance.

One ridculous assertion I seem to remember hearing is that an 'official' audit taken of the Irish Insurance industry found that 'no cartel' was in operation.

Ha, ha, as if. If there is no cartel in operation in Ireland, then how come British companies like Carole Nash can offer such reduced rates of insurance in Ireland?

Don't give me the economies of scale argument, AIB, Glanbia, Elan and RyanAir seemed to overcome the so called 'economies of scale' problems that 'afflict' supposedly Irish companies.

the whole idea that September 11th has caused insurance premiums to rise here is total bullsh1t. There are companies at ground zero that haven't had their insurance premiums go up yet for some strange reason insurance companies 5,000 miles away feel the need to increase their premiums. They are the greatest bunch of con artists.

Advertisement