Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Clare or Limerick?

Options
  • 17-06-2003 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I may be starting a contract in Shannon next month and will need to move back there from the US. I really really need to have broadband. I also will probably only stay 6 to 9 months so I don't want to sign a 12 month agreement if I can avoid it.

As far as I know only Netsource do a less than 12 month agreement, is that correct?

Does anyone have some good info on where would be a good location to live in that would allow me to get DSL, I am thinking Shannon, Ennis or Limerick, but information on where broadband is available seems to be sketchy. I would appreciate any comments.

-A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

In Limerick city, Roches Street (city center), Dooradoyle (near Raheen) and Castletroy exchanges are enabled for RADSL. According to the rat Ennis & Shannon airport exchanges are enabled. Roches Street & Dooradoyle exchanges are also set up for ESAT Business ADSL (more expensive then RADSL, better contention ratio & ping).
    AFAIK all ADSL/RADSL packages have min 12 month contract - except Netsource which has 2 month contract (plenty of threads here about its service). Depending on the ISP you might be able to end the contract before the 12 months are up without being out of pocket - don't quote me on that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

i have netsource in limerick city, its not all that great, if you intend on playing online games anyhow. Dsl is in ennis, eircom afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Kernel32
    I may be starting a contract in Shannon next month and will need to move back there from the US. I really really need to have broadband. I also will probably only stay 6 to 9 months so I don't want to sign a 12 month agreement if I can avoid it.

As far as I know only Netsource do a less than 12 month agreement, is that correct?

Does anyone have some good info on where would be a good location to live in that would allow me to get DSL, I am thinking Shannon, Ennis or Limerick, but information on where broadband is available seems to be sketchy. I would appreciate any comments.

-A

You have pretty much sussed it, Netsource in Shannon Limerick Ennis and thats all there is bar some community based stuff (see Irishwan) especially Midwestwan.

If I were sourcing accomodation, I would insista that the Auctioneer (like a Realtor in the US) confirms that the premises has a line that has passed the EIRCOM Broadband line test and does so in writing before you rent the place. All other carriers (such as Netsource) rely on this test database.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You can get it in ennis, finally.
    I wholeheartedly discourage you from living in shannon, Its not nice.

As Muck said get the estate agent to verify that the premises's pstn line can support DSL, there's been a lot of line failue problems onver here.

Advertisement