Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Microphone ?

Options
  • 17-06-2003 7:53am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody recommend a good mic ? I want it for recording acoustic guitar and vocals.

I hope to get a guitar with a good acoustic pickup so that I won't have to record it using the mic, but I defo need a mic for vocals.

http://products.sony.ie/productdetail.asp?id=__246&search=microphone

I was thinking along the lines of the mic above, anybody got any experience ?

Slaan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The only mic you ever want to buy for all around everything is a Shure SM58. its the standard. i own one and its amazing, crystal slear and has a lovely warm sound.
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/shure_sm58_prodinfo.html?iwid=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

bombidol is correct.

Shure SM58 is teh w1n.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

If you have a bit more money get the SM58 Beta which is the "posh" version of the SM58 and according to many it's much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I would _highly_ recommend a StudioProjects C3. It's a large diaphram condenser so you'll need something to provide phantom power, like a good pre-amp. Stunning for vocals and will do a very nice job with your guitar too.

The 57/58s are nothing compared to this, but it will cost you. I spent ~550 euro on the mic and a preamp. But it is rated amongst similar Neumann and AKG which cost upwards 1k :eek:

Oh, and just to be an ass, if you're budget is limited get the SM57 not the 58, the 58 looks naff :P (They are the same mic, the 58 has a built in pop filter (a.k.a. bit of foam)).

rob

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Thanks for the replys lads. Thing is, I would like something that plugs straight into the computer without going through amps or mixing desks. Is there an adaptor you can get ?

Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Well, most of the soundcards have both a line and a mic input so you can plug any microphone straight into the latter. All that you need is just an XLR-to-Jack lead and a big-jack-to-small-jack adaptor to go from the XLR plug of the mic into the small jack plug of the card. They're inexpensive and you'll find'em at Peats in Parnell St. or Maplin in Jervis St. Alternatively, you can get some cheap small desk like
    this one (€41)

The SM57/58s don't need any phantom power so they can plug straight into you computer ... they have 1/4" jacks so you'll need a socket+plug that will convert that to 1/8" like on the PC.

edit: as above, they have xlr connectors, but you usually buy them with an xlr to 1/4" cable, oops!

If you were interested in the C3, you could get a phantom power adapter and use whatever effects you have on the computer to simulate the control a preamp would give you. You definitly do need that control, I've never experimented with cubase/etc so I can't say if the plugins you have "paid" for ;), for it, would do the mic any justice.

rob

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Much appreciated once again, but I can't help all this being jibberish ! I don't know what all this phantom power and stuff is about. Luckily I know what XLR is, I think I have a large jack to mini jack at home so I might be sorted if I get that shure. Probably need a stand with it also.

Slaanesh.

phantom power just means the mic needs 48 Volts to operate. Sometimes can be provided by a battery (akg c1000s) but usually it comes from the xlr-xlr cable, which would be attached to a mixing desk/preamp/phatom power adapter or anything that says it provides phantom power!

What it uses th 48V for I am a little less sure. I think it is needed to put a charge across the diaphragm of the mic, which is a thin metal sheet, perhaps the size of a 20c coin, that picks up the vibrations in the air caused by the sound.

Condenser mics don't have such diaphragms and don't need phantom power, 57/58s are condensers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i got one of the Sennheiser Evolution series, bleedin' disaster. i used someone elses shure sm58 and i think i'll have to get me one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Sm58 is yer only man dude, no messing around with phantom power and stuff . sounds excellent too.

gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

Condenser mics don't have such diaphragms and don't need phantom power, 57/58s are condensers!

Condenser mics do need phantom power. Dynamic ones don't. The 57/58s are Dynamic.

I use a Sennheiser E 845 and i find it very good. Loads of people swear by the Shures... but I've never used one.

The frequency on the sure is
    50 to 15,000 Hz
    where as it's 40.....16000 Hz on the sennheiser.
    Which is a little nicer when recording sax or bassier instruments.

Keith

Advertisement