Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Expired?

Options
  • 17-06-2003 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I thought Comreg said the FWA Licence would expire on June 15th if Chorus & Co had no product on offer by then, does anyone know if that happened?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It will be relicenced in a round to be announced by Comreg during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Muck,

for what part of the spectrum is the license for 2.5 ghz, 3.5 ghz ?
    I am pretty shaky when it comes to wireless technologies, what kind of kit can be used within that spectrum ?
    Is there a dummies guide to wireless knocking about anywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

Thanks Muck

Do you know how would one go about applying for one of these licences, for a local community which does not have access to ADSL, and probably never will have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MDR
    Muck,

for what part of the spectrum is the license for 2.5 ghz, 3.5 ghz ?
    I am pretty shaky when it comes to wireless technologies, what kind of kit can be used within that spectrum ?
    Is there a dummies guide to wireless knocking about anywhere :D

One or two webpages , took me ages to get up to speed . See this lot Here . 802.11 is UNLICENCED (therefore restricted in output) while 2.5Ghz 2.6Ghz 3.5Ghz 5Ghz 5.4Ghz 5.8Ghz are LIcenced or not available in Europe.

Also remember that there is a less than perfect overlap between US and EU Spectrum Allocations.

Finally, remember another rule about GHZ and spectrum.
    Below 6GHz is valuable because it is NON Line of sight.
    Above 6GHz is less so because it is LINE of Sight.

2.5Ghz is the MMDS band. Chorus won't lose that because it is used for Analogue and Digital MMDS. It may be retired and handed over to telephony 3G in 2009 or thereabouts.

3.5Ghz band is one of the more useful Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) Bands. As it is Licenced, the 100Mw power output problem associated with 802.11B (used by most Wisps) do not apply. The higher power means a more solid and predictable service. Eircom and Chorus were squatting this band since 2000. Chorus have been evicted and their chunk is up for grabs later this year.

IBB were in the UK auction (started at the weekend) for this spectum but did not last very long as we can see Here . They will seek to cherrypick some spectrum in the larger towns in Ireland. They had to bid by Region in the UK including the country bits.

IBB are going for Galway City Spectrum but I suspect that their signal will not go past Oranmore to the East....assuming they get Galway.

M

Advertisement