Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornflakes ad.

Options
  • 17-06-2003 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

You know that new one, kinda folky? Who is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Not entirely sure co I'm not familiar with his work, but I'd say Badly Drawn Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

two words:

sell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think its all posibilitys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

yep its definately badly drawn boy..
    cant place the song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

badly drawn boy - the shining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by juno75
    two words:

sell out

Watcha mean sellout?!?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

do your research patch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Tis indeed the shining, good song and a great album imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    do your research patch

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyy......I asked before HE did. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

sell out

sell out is right, what the hell is badly drawn boy allowing his music to played on a cornflakes add for, brilliant music, brilliant artist but what next? free bowls of cornflakes at his witnness gig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeKelly

Yup thats Badly drawn boy - the shining it was on the Ministry of sound chill out album 2001 ! its excellent!

I hav to disagree with the whole sell out thing i mean mayb the guy needed a bit of f*cking cash or somethin his last album was a total flop! Giv the guy a break what wud u do if kellogs approached u with a wad of cash?? :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

FFS!!!

He's a sell out just because his music is on an advertisement?????!!!!!

So let’s say some one called John worked a few hours extra in his normal every day job and got paid over time for the extra hours he worked is he a sell out? But then again you might like to hear something like Westlife on advertisements?

“free bowls of cornflakes at his witnness gig” - You do know that the *ONLY* reason Wittnness started is because it’s a marketing tool to get people to drink Guinness! And since when did Cornflakes become an evil hated empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I don't mean sell out as in he looses all credibility but i do think it is a bit stupid, its not like he needs the money!!!
    Plus hearing a song played over and over again on a stupid add devalues it IMO (cos after all it is a great tune). Music has a great way of associating things in our mind. think of a great song and you might think of the great summer you spent listening to it when it was first released.
    When I'm 50 and The Shining comes on the radio I don't want to be thinking of cornflakes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Fair point, but he is not a sell out. For some people you can never have two much money, as in this world money = freedom*.

* to a point

Is BDB a "sellout" for doing the soundtrack for "About a Boy" then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

It's not really fair to say "sell out"...

Nearly any successful artist at some stage signs a record deal and most of the time this is with a major label (e.g. Sony, Virgin, BMG, EMI, Island) because usually independents don't have access to the same distribution channels. Indeed, big distributors are usually *owned* by the very same majors and this is true also for some big promoters, estabilished agents, producers, etc. etc. etc.

Most of the time, the artist also signs a publishing deal. This means he sells to a publishing company the right to use his songs for commercials, sound tracks, tv shows (and everything you can think of), then he gets his share of the profit.

So far so good but the downside is that the artists loses *any* control on his work so, if the publisher decides to sell his music to Kelloggs or to the producer of "About a boy", there's nothing the artist can do to prevent it.

Right, why do artists sign publishing deals then??? Well.... sure, money is a factor but guess who owns the publishing company in most cases..? Yep, the same bleeding major!!

This is why most of the major record deals actually *include* a publishing deal, so it works like:

"Do you want to get signed and become a professional musician? Fine, I can do that but I want to own your music, your publishing rights and, basically, your soul"

Now, would you have the balls to say "no" and go back to your rocktastic 9 to 5 day-job...? If the answer is "yes" then you can say "sell out"

Originally posted by Morello
    if the publisher decides to sell his music to Kelloggs or to the producer of "About a boy", there's nothing the artist can do to prevent it.

I think that you missed my point regarding the soundtrack to About a Boy. I wasn't making the point that he sold out, I was asking whoever started the point about selling out if he thought that doing a soundtrack for a movie was selling out?? And if he did well then I think that's bull tbh!!

Personally I think the whole notion that "selling out" as they call is a bad thing is b*ll*x!! At the end of the day, if you're making music, you want it to reach the widest audience possible and sometimes that involves letting people use your music to promote a product. And as long as the product that it's used for doesn't go against your personal morals, i.e. fried baby pieces of for Sellafield, well then I think that's ok.

Just on the note of the About the Boy soundtrack, Damon Gogh's publisher didn't sell his music to the producers,he hadn't wrote the music already, he wrote all the music especially for the movie!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

i think the band TooL put the whole "sell-out" thing in perspective
    You're a big hippo of critnessness if you even mention artists selling out

lyrics to
    Hooker with a Penis

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
    Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
    New tattoos that claimed that he
    Was OGT,
    From '92,
    The first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    A-dvice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point the finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
    He's the man as well so you can
    Point that fu*kin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb fu*k.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip sh1t,
    And you bought one.

So I've got some
    Advice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point your finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the fu*kin' man
    Then you're the fu*kin' man as well
    So you can
    Point that fu*kin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb fu*k.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip sh1t,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record