Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pings To USA Servers

Options
  • 17-06-2003 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hey i have just moved to Ireland from America where i had a 2mb/1mb Connection and it was great getting pings of 10-20 on USA servers. Im living In Kilmeague, Naas now and a DSL line isnt activated yet. I have asked them when it will be activiated and they september- october but i am a hard core gamer and this is to long does anyone have any suggestions wut i do to convince them to get it in my area sooner.

Anyway back to the main point ill Probably get the 512k/256K from esat cuz thats all i can afford (god damn rip off europe, in states i got the 2mb/1mb for $70). So with that connection can anyone tell me wut sorta pings ill get to US servers thanks. Adios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Pure physical distance is going to get in your way. Speed of light start affecting pings.

Dublin NewYork is about 5000km. Which for light in fibre is about 30 ms. Ping roundtrip is 60ms.
    6 70 ms 71 ms 80 ms sl-bb22-lon-9-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.128.104]

7 130 ms 140 ms 141 ms sl-bb20-nyc-2-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.9.163]

That's of course after you get off your DSL line and out of Ireland. West Coast is about 9000km? You might wanna check out UK servers, like Barrys, Blueyonder, Nildram, Jolt etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Aite Thanks, God damn atlantic Whos idea was it to put their in the First place. Ill give those Servers a try :D, but most of my favorite servers are in USA :mad:, but a 140 pings average aint that bad i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Why dont you try Irish servers.
    I only know of Irish CS servers.
    But if you cant wait for BB why dont you go for isdn youll get fairly good pings still.They probably wont have the exchange done by October.Last time I rang the rat they said within the month (april) my exchange will be done.Then I heard June now its supposedly September.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

well from experience isdn gives me a 200ms ping to US, so I doubt any other connection would be significantly other.

I was looking at eircoms Isdn serive and it said that it runs at 128/64K at 35euros a month for line rental, if this is only for line rental does it mean that they charge u for every minute ur online like they do with normal dial up? If they do they can shove their ISDN service up their Theiving asses. It'll be cheaper and easier just to wait for them to Activiate the exchange here. Goddamn if only it wasnt a closed market and they had more lines running through Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Yes, you are experiencing the torture that is internet usage in Ireland I think must of us are used to it, must be hard for you.:ninja: :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    and they had more lines running through Ireland.

The irony is that there is loads of it, but we can't have it. You'd think being the last stop between Europe and the US would make Ireland a veritable treasure trove.

I have respect for all of u Online gamers in Ireland. Putting up with Extremly high prices esat charge E400 4 2mb/256K god damn, and even in UK ive talked to people who get that for around 50 pounds which is like maybe E80 so i see the hardships u have gone through just to get a simple connection. Maybe if had it to easy in the states i dont know. But one things for sure Ireland knows how to charge their money, for one reason its a closed market so they can charge high prices if only they brough an american company in here like ATT or Sprint, they would surely dominate the market with competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I don't think its a closed market per se - anyone can unbundle lines, or even lay their own. The problem is eircom being allowed to frustrate any attempts at competition...

[edit] - typo

I dont know, all i know is eircom knows its the one in charge and is taking full advantage of their privlages. I hope one day a company secret comes to ireland and Connects every home in Ireland so that 512K/256K, 1mb/512K and 2mb/1mb at low prices. But then again Pigs may fly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement