Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jsp/servlet database web app

Options
  • 17-06-2003 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've to create a simple web app, based on jsp/servlets. Standard jobbie, tomcat/mysql type thing. I have done this before and I really don't want to have to go through the pain of grunt coding of model classes and db serialisation etc..

Is there anything that can take table definitions and create java classes from it, with code for loading/saving to db .. ? Anything along these lines that let's me work on the actual system logic as much as possible and not waste time on the more monotonous but required work. Anything also that could handle stuff on the other end would be nice. Stuff like data input from forms and such.

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Yes,

Although initially it will require some work on your part to learn the api.

http://java.sun.com/products/jdo/

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Related to Jakarta and Apache projects, check out

http://db.apache.org/

Specifically Torque and ObJectRelationalBridge. Someone told me they worked with one of these, and had a few problems. I'll get back to you when I find out who said it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks for both of the above.
    Another question along the same lines. I want to create system such that the logic is seperated from the presentation, create something that can just be handed to a web designer with minimum of hassle.. fairly standard requirement I'd imagine.

There's quite a confusing amount of technology around to do this though.., jsp templates, velocity, cocoon. What are people's opinions on the best way ?

Cheers,
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

The tags in JSP, no?

If it's not a very big app, and you don't have much experience with the various frameworks, wouldn't you just stick with the simpler less automated mechanisms?

Always good to have gone through something the basic way and know the ins and outs with a smaller app, before using a higher level mechanism.

Advertisement